Advice on Integrated Receiver

depth10

Dec 13, 2022
Visit site
I currently have two Monitor Audio Silver 300s. I have a Cambridge Audio CAX81 (80w/ch). After reading the reviews, the speakers sound a bit underwhelming. I have a Rega P6 turntable hooked up for most of the audio content. In looking at the Max Wattage for the speakers I realize perhaps the amplifier isn't letting them breathe enough?

The speakers are rated at 200w max with recommended 80-200w RMS. Am I way off base in thinking I'm underpowering these?

What integrated receiver would you recommend to really drive these? Budget under $5k

How did you manage to connect a Planar 6 to that amp? It doesn't have an inbuilt phono stage?
What other devices do you use as a source?
Do you need that inbuilt DAC.
It should be sufficient output wise, if it isn't think along the lines of a Rotel amp, or the Rogue Audio Sphinx v3, or indeed a Parasound Halo Hint 6

depth10

Dec 13, 2022
Visit site
How did you manage to connect a Planar 6 to that amp? It doesn't have an inbuilt phono stage?
What other devices do you use as a source?
Do you need that inbuilt DAC.
It should be sufficient output wise, if it isn't think along the lines of a Rotel amp, or the Rogue Audio Sphinx v3, or indeed a Parasound Halo Hint 6

I have a separate phono preamp (https://www.schiit.com/products/mani). Honestly, I only use the P6 as a source, and I stretched for the Ania Pro cartridge.

Can I ask a dumb question? I thought about stretching for a McIntosh integrated at 100w, but I don't see how the thousands more in $$$ justifies 20 more watts per channel. Are the 100w just cleaner/better in the McIntosh? Off topic, but I know this is a question probably gets asked often and has an easy answer!

I currently have two Monitor Audio Silver 300s. I have a Cambridge Audio CAX81 (80w/ch). After reading the reviews, the speakers sound a bit underwhelming. I have a Rega P6 turntable hooked up for most of the audio content. In looking at the Max Wattage for the speakers I realize perhaps the amplifier isn't letting them breathe enough?

The speakers are rated at 200w max with recommended 80-200w RMS. Am I way off base in thinking I'm underpowering these?

What integrated receiver would you recommend to really drive these? Budget under $5k
Welcome to the forum!

You're not perhaps ' way off base' but I think you're misunderstanding the relevance of an amplifier's output. Your MA Silver 300s can handle up to 200 watts, but that simply means an undistorted input that large shouldn't destroy the speakers. (Your car might have a top speed of 120mph, but you probably never venture above 80 its entire life, unless you live in Germany). Your 80watt Cambridge should be a very good match.

You say that the speakers sound underwhelming after reading reviews. What do they sound like when you listen to them at home? Have you heard the speakers sound better, perhaps at a dealer demo?

Yes, with a superb amplifier they might sound a bit better, but you'd be doubling your amp budget or more. Something like an Exposure 3510 or a Rotel RA-1592 mkII for example. (both are integrated amps costing c. £2300) And yet they deserve speakers costing up to say, £5k.

Welcome to upgrading! There's always something better, at a price. However, maybe some info about your room dimensions, musical tastes, speaker position and so on might offer some scope for fine tuning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The other aspect to consider with amplifier quality is whether the power supply is beefy enough to deal with speakers dipping to lower impedances. You have a 'nominal' load in a loudspeaker spec sheet, but how this is actually measured varies wildly. Good manufacturers will give you a minimum impedance. Essentially, the load the loudspeaker presents changes with frequency.

The amplifier essentially responds to the load, and is rated at a particular load. So it may say 100W @ 8 ohm. But if the loudspeaker then presents a 4 ohm load at the same amplitude (generally at low frequency), the ideal amplifier will output 200W. But a lot of amplifiers are not ideal. A good amplifier manufacturer will tell you what output you will get at various loads. Ideally, it should be at, or close to, doubling output from 8 to 4 and 4 to 2 ohms. And that's governed by the quality of the power supply.

A/V Receiver power ratings are another kettle of fish that is horrifically inflated based on testing parameters.

The other aspect to consider with amplifier quality is whether the power supply is beefy enough to deal with speakers dipping to lower impedances. You have a 'nominal' load in a loudspeaker spec sheet, but how this is actually measured varies wildly. Good manufacturers will give you a minimum impedance. Essentially, the load the loudspeaker presents changes with frequency.

The amplifier essentially responds to the load, and is rated at a particular load. So it may say 100W @ 8 ohm. But if the loudspeaker then presents a 4 ohm load at the same amplitude (generally at low frequency), the ideal amplifier will output 200W. But a lot of amplifiers are not ideal. A good amplifier manufacturer will tell you what output you will get at various loads. Ideally, it should be at, or close to, doubling output from 8 to 4 and 4 to 2 ohms. And that's governed by the quality of the power supply.

A/V Receiver power ratings are another kettle of fish that is horrifically inflated based on testing parameters.
unfortunately most amps that actually can double output into a four ohm load are prohibitally expensive

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
However, maybe some info about your room dimensions, musical tastes, speaker position and so on might offer some scope for fine tuning.

I second that. Speaker positioning and a room with some sound absorbing properties (can be as elementary as furniture, carpet etc) can have a drastic effect to bass performance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts