Advice on CD/DVD ripping to a NAS?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just had my new Linkstation Mini NAS device delivered and I'm itching to get it set up at home.

However before I get started, can WHFS&V (or indeed anyone else out there) offer me any advice/suggestions to the following questions:

1) What audio format should I rip my CD collection to? It will be streaming to both my soon-to-arrive Sonos set-up and my PS3. I'd ideally like to keep it as high-quality as possible and I'm not particularly bothered about the volume of storage required

2) What video format should I rip my DVD collection to? Again, to be streamed to my PS3 and as high quality as possible.

3) Based on suggestions above, what software would you recommend I use?

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. I can't seem to find the search function on the new site.

Cheers
Ketch

John Duncan

For music - either FLAC (using either of the products which support Accuraterip - dbpoweramp or Exact Audio Copy) or Apple Lossless (using iTunes with error correction turned on).

For video, less sure - I think fr0g has a PS3 so may be able to help - but your issue is that the vast majority of DVDs are copy protected, so once you find out which formats it supprts (article here, but others may have been added by later firmware updates) you would need a piece of software that can circumvent the copy protection and rip to your desired format - google is your friend.

Both are illegal of course, but that's for your conscience, not mine.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for that JD. Hobnobs are in the post.

Quick question though (maybe one for fr0g as you say). Does the PS3 support FLAC or Apple Loseless? The link provided shows the following audio options...
.....ATRAC (.oma .msa .aa3), AAC (.3gp .mp4), MP3 (.mp3), WAV (.wav)

As for the legality of it all, is it not okay to back-up copies of media you currently own (in each case I have the original CD/DVDs) or is this likely to be another of those urban myths?

A

Anonymous

Ah perfect............. if only I could have found the search function!!! ;-)

I'm off home now to have a play. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again both.

Ketch

John Duncan

Ketch:As for the legality of it all, is it not okay to back-up copies of media you currently own (in each case I have the original CD/DVDs)?

No, for music or video (In the UK - other laws apply elsewhere). Software you are specifically allowed to back up, and videoing off the telly is covered by a time-shifting clause.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi.
PS3 doesn't support any lossless other than WAV, but as PJs post shows, Tversity (and others) can transcode to PCM on the fly (which is what WAV is essentially)...But with a Sonos system you're unlikely to need that anyway?

And FLAC is the way to go... and use EAC... EAC and FLAC guide

video... Now thats something I don't do. I used to rip DVDs in my past, but they take up loads of room, and it takes an age to do... DVDSanta is what I used to use though.

(Also I wouldnt worry about the law as it stands... Its gonna change soon, and nobody will be interested, unless you set up an online share).

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
no idea if the ps3 supports it, but for video i would use mp4. much smaller file size then divx and no messing about synching the sound. nero including nero re-code will rip and convert a dvd to mp4 in under an hour (depending on your pc) and the quality is very good. or "find" a copy of dvdshrink, if i remember right it doesn't change the file format of a dvd - just "shrinks" it in size. removing any copy protection is very easy, just type the question into google, shouldn't take long to get the info.

TRENDING THREADS