Advice on buying a new Amp or AVR

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking after some advice before purchasing a new amplifier/receiver.

My current setup is a pair of KEF Q350s connected to an entry level Denon S510BT AVR.

The HDMI board died on my Denon so I'm looking at getting a new receiver, but i'm unsure whether going for an integrated stereo amp or a new AVR.
More specifically now the models I'm looking at are the Marantz PM5005 (paired with a DAC) and the Marantz NR1509.

I mostly enjoy stereo music and that's my priority, but surround sound is something I would like to continue building up towards (I already have a couple of Definitive Technology Promonitor 800s I was planning on using as rear speakers in the future).

My options the way i see it are: Going with the Marantz AVR now if it's a good option for my current stereo setup now, or buying the PM5005 with a DAC (something like the ifi ione nano for bluetooth).

A third option is buying just the DAC and use the analog inputs of my Denon AVR which are still working, but I don't think the Denon was very good for stereo music.

I'm by no means an audiophile, but I would like to get the most out of my speakers and keep learning about hi fi audio.

Thanks!

insider9

All depends on how much you enjoy your setup, how important it is for you and how much money you want to spend. Not a fan of Marantz so that would be off the table for me. I've not heard the DAC you mention. How much are they? What's your budget?

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
All depends on how much you enjoy your setup, how important it is for you and how much money you want to spend. Not a fan of Marantz so that would be off the table for me. I've not heard the DAC you mention. How much are they? What's your budget?

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I do enjoy my setup, but I feel that my speakers could sound better than they do. I don't have a turntable or a CDs collection, so I consume my media digitally.

I often use Spotify from my Xbox, but I would like to start using better formats. If I buy the DAC I would use Tidal or Deezer Hi Fi via bluetooth if it works well, or from my computer or Xbox if I manage to play FLAC from there.
What I am not sure now is how much better the speakers could sound if they were paired to a better amp than my Denon, and in that case if it would be a lot better if I went with a stereo amp or an AVR could be ok.

I don't have a budget set in stone now, but below 500 USD would be ideal. I can buy the DAC and the PM5005 for around 500 or use that money for an AVR in the US.

The DAC is 185 USD at Drop right now and it is sold at 250 on Amazon, so I figured it was a pretty good deal.

Thanks!

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure your speaker could sound better with better source and amplification. Why not try Tidal Hifi on a free trial?

The thing is now that my amp broke can't test that before getting a new one. I could buy a DAC and test with that but if I then decide to go with an AVR that already has a DAC I will have no use for the DAC.

My main question is whether there is a difference in sound from an AVR and an integrated amp in somewhat the same price point.

Thanks

insider9

As a rule of thumb for music I'd go with a stereo amp. There are great AVRs and they can sound good offering lots of connectivity. Usually decent value for money too. Can you do a home demo?

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
What do you mean with a home demo? There's not a lot of places I can go try audio stuff out where I live and I would buy online probably, so there is not a lot I can do on that perspective unfortunately.

Given that I've been readinga lot on forums but I haven't found a comparison between those kinds of AVRs and amps for music.

insider9

Many hifi dealers will allow you to test gear at home. If you've not dealt with them before they'll sell you gear but with generous returns policy.

If you have a good relationship with them some will let you try before you buy. Either way it's good to demo at home with the rest of your gear.

If you're buying online do it from a retailer that will accept a return if you're not happy with the product.

Comparing the quality of a similarly priced AV receiver and two-channel amplifier will always fall on the side of the hi-fi amplifier. An AV receiver has far more extra sections built into it which obviously cost money, and usually entail numerous licences as well, adding to the cost. A hi-fi amplifier is a straight forward two-channel amplifier that will have zero licences to pay (unless it has an extra like Bluetooth).

I’ve owned numerous AV receivers over the past 25 years, as well as AV pre/powers. The president/powers are generally better than the integrated options but were usually in excess of £3,500, with the best being based around a Classé Sigma SSP processor which on its own cost over £4,000. For the last few years I’ve been experimenting with numerous two-channel integrated amplifiers at home, using them for movies as well as music. You can get a great sound from something like a Cyrus One HD or Exposure XM5, but the noticeably better ones have been the likes of the Hegel H120 and Bel Canto C5i integrated amplifiers (both around the £2,000 mark). The level of quality from these was easily as good as the Classe (and I bought the Classe because of how good it was for movies and music). I’ve rewatched a few films recently with the Bel Canto that I am very familiar with, and the detail, layering, and soundstaging has been excellent, and far better than I’ve heard from any £2K receiver.

Of course, an integrated amplifier won’t have provision for HDMI switching, so you need to take into account connectivity, particularly if the electronics aren’t all in the same place (my electronics are at the back of the room and the TV is at the front). And you also need to weigh up whether you’re big on rear effects and sub bass (although a sub can be added to an integrated amplifier).

And if you’re wondering whether you’ll get the benefit using Q350s, I’m using a pair of compact bookshelf speakers from the mid 70s. The only issue is your budget. I would definitely say that a $500 hi-fi amplifier will outperform a $500 AV receiver from a quality point of view, unless you look at older, top notch AV receivers that might be pre-4K pass through and pre-Atmos.

Dom

That was interesting and agree. I would go for a stereo setup due to budget, of course it's a giant money pit. But all hobbies cost, and this is safe and relaxing. ✌.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

Wish you'd stop putting these ridiculous clips in your your posts Dom(n)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts