Advice on £2.5 secondhand system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on building a new hi-fi system with a budget of around £2.5k (I will be buying used/ex-demo items)

I will need floorstanding speakers with good bass extension down to about 30hz. My room is quite large.

Amplification and a DAC. Most if not all of my listening is now through spotify premium, and I will probably end up ripping my cd collection to lossless.

So far the PMC FB1i seems like a strong contender, and maybe Dynaudio Excite, Proac D18

For the amp I lean aesthetically towards the idea of having monoblocks though open to using an integrated amp or stereo power.

The Cyrus integrated with onboard DAC looks good and convenient but is so damn ugly.. :p

I wonder if I would need a preamp as well as power + DAC?

I listen to a very wide range of music: from indie rock/nowave, classic rock, metal, hip hop, dub, ambient, chillout, lounge, jazz, electronica, techno, classical, avant garde, minimalist, sonic art... really just about everything. So no overly polite classical-only oriented stuff. Rhythm and dynamics are very important to me as well as clarity, detail and finesse

I will definitely try to audition stuff but just wondered if anyone has strong opinions about where to look for the most bang for buck with this budget, and maybe brands/models that are known for being transparent and engaging across every musical genre, with excellent low end and preferably at all volumes

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
PMC FB1i's are a great choice but will cost around £1100 - £1200 second hand.I would suggest Naim CD 5i and Nait 5 or Primare i20 and cd20.I haven't heard Roksan Candy CD and amp but know it is held in high regard on the forum.Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I'm not bothering with a cd player! DAC is what I will need..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts