Advice needed - Speakers & Cables for Primare I30

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello to all

I recently purchased an I30 and I am currently using it with B&W 685 speakers, Chord Company Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable and Chord Crimson interconnects.

I know the Primare could sound much better with speakers of it's league and I've been looking at ATC SCM11, ATC SCM19, EB Acoustics EB2, Spendor A5, Proac... I didn't want to spend much more than 1k but if anyone has a more expensive suggestion that justifies the extra money I would consider it. I recently moved house and my hifi is now in a bigger room which left me thinking that the 685 sound a little bit lost in that extra space. I am for the first time considering floorstanders but I am a little lost about the choices I have and how much I have to spend to get the best out of the Primare. I would greatly apreciate anyone's contribution.

As for cables, the same aplies, the interconnects clearly could be better and I am looking at Chord, Atlas around 100 - 140£ range. Also, the amplifier has balanced inputs for XLR, would it be better? There are some options in the same price range from the more popular brands.

I must add that I'm from Portugal, any demo sessions are extremely difficult, I have to rely greatly on reviews and forum opinions to make my options.

Best regards

A

Anonymous

I would suggest trying the Spendor A5 and PMC GB1i, but they're both over a k.

JazzDevill:
Hello to all

I recently purchased an I30 and I am currently using it with B&W 685 speakers, Chord Company Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable and Chord Crimson interconnects.

I know the Primare could sound much better with speakers of it's league and I've been looking at ATC SCM11, ATC SCM19, EB Acoustics EB2, Spendor A5, Proac... I didn't want to spend much more than 1k but if anyone has a more expensive suggestion that justifies the extra money I would consider it. I recently moved house and my hifi is now in a bigger room which left me thinking that the 685 sound a little bit lost in that extra space. I am for the first time considering floorstanders but I am a little lost about the choices I have and how much I have to spend to get the best out of the Primare. I would greatly apreciate anyone's contribution.

As for cables, the same aplies, the interconnects clearly could be better and I am looking at Chord, Atlas around 100 - 140£ range. Also, the amplifier has balanced inputs for XLR, would it be better? There are some options in the same price range from the more popular brands.

I must add that I'm from Portugal, any demo sessions are extremely difficult, I have to rely greatly on reviews and forum opinions to make my options.

Best regards

Hi JazzDevil

As you've already got them then i think you should hold on to your cables. However if you are happy to change them then Van Den Hul's Integration Hybrid interconnect is also one to consider. As for speaker cable a modestly priced OFC generic cable will do the trick nicely. XLR can offer superior performance although just make all is in correct phase.

I will highly recommend ATC's SCM11 speakers. The SCM11's use the same low distortion studio CLD (Constrained Layer Damping) mid/bass drive unit as is used in SCM16A Professional monitors. Primare electronics work well with ATC speakers and is a combination quite a few of my clients bought over the years.

With the SCM7's and SCM11's ATC give an exceedingly good taste of what they are capable of however it is with the SCM19's that ATC really start to flex their muscles. If you are prepared to stretch your budget then the SCM19's are just sublime and imo are probably the finest VFM standmount design currently available. The SCM19's use ATC's massively built ultra low distortion state of the art SLMT (Super Linear Magnet Technology) mid/bass drive unit which weighs more then a complete SCM11! This drive unit is also used in the SCM20ASL Professional monitors. The SCM19's offer the same HF performance as the SCM11's however in practically every other area below the performance steps up significantly.

The ATC's with their clear, precise, uncoloured and natural presentation will enable your components to breathe. Ime they also reproduce the power and the stability of the sound.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JazzDevill:I know the Primare could sound much better with speakers of it's league and I've been looking at ATC SCM11, ATC SCM19, EB Acoustics EB2, Spendor A5, Proac... I didn't want to spend much more than 1k...

JazzDevill:I must add that I'm from Portugal, any demo sessions are extremely difficult, I have to rely greatly on reviews and forum opinions to make my options.

If you can get a copy of the latest What Hifi Sound & Vision magazine in Portugal (September issue) then turn to page 50 for the 'Head to head' review of the ATC SCM11 vs the EB Acoustics EB2.

EB Acoustics only sell direct from their own website so you won't be paying for dealers or distributors. (If you cannot use the benefits of a dealer where you are, then why pay for one?)

A

Anonymous

Hi JazzDevill, The Primare I30 is a very nice amplifier and very capable of powering fairly expensive loudspeakers. I have found the I30 to work well with a range of loudspeakers, including the ProAc Studio 140's.

I have even listened to the I30 power a pair of Mordaunt-Short Performance 6's, which are obviously more than 3 times what you are looking to spend, and the sound was really nice (with a Primare CD31 as source component).

Dan.

fouad

Jun 12, 2003
Visit site
Hi all, I registered some time ago but this is my first post!

MY GREAT NEW SYSTEM - I also just bought the Primare CD31 with the I30. I did not do extensive demos (the Primares were ex-display 1 yr old at 33% discount, speakers new) but the B&W speakers I auditioned were exactly to my taste (refined, analytical yet liquid and quite ... warm, emotional - if that makes sense to you!).

SPEAKERS - I was buying the 684 floorstanders but then I decided to spend 200 pounds more and get the newer CM7, next step in B&W's range. The CM7 sounded slightly more refined/detailed (at least by my subjective opinion) but for the extra money I got a great new cool design, a real midrange driver (not a smaller woofer), great real wood veneer finish. B&W also say they trickled down the FST technology (check the website and other reviews for this) from their more expensive range. With my Primare, it is a match made in heaven. But see more below.

CABLES - The hi-fi shop (Unilet, Kingston, Surrey: great, I visited them for 3 yrs before buying yet they are always very welcoming and passionate!) recommended the Audioquest King Cobra Interconnect (balanced) and the matching CV8, within my budget. I loved the sound. Unilet advised that some more expensive silver Chord cables (can't remember which ones) were too revealing for an already very analytical system.

CAVEATS - I am coming from a 30W RMS Rotel to a much more expensive 100W Primare, so I guess any system with this big jump would sound much better. I did not demo extensively but I was moving house from the UK to Kuwait! However, last year I listened to Spendors and found them not detailed enough (for my taste).

QUESTION: Jazzdevil, I hope that helps even in a small way! But you can't go wrong with the Primare, they can compete with equipment double the price. I will never sell them! Guys, now I am lucky to have a medium-large living room in Kuwait (sort of American size). With jazz (classic and modern, 60% of my listening) this system is more than excellent, it is sublime!!! But with rock/pop (Pink Floyd, etc.) I find the sound a bit 'lean'. Can anybody advise? The system as a foundation is excellent but do I have to add a power amp or a sub or both??? I am lost. Any other advice? Is it that polarity switch on the amp that you can change on the fly?

Thanks and sorry to steal / add to your question jazzdevil !!!!

A

Anonymous

Thank you all very much for the replies. It will certainly help me to understand a little bit better in what ground I'm walking on and where do I need to go to. I'll start checking the prices and doing the math...!

Oh, about the EB2... They sell directly, that's true, been on their website already, they charge 80£ for delivery to any country inside the EU. That makes their price a little under the ATC SCM11...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts