Advice needed: Sony 2400ES or Onkyo 607??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi, im also searching for a receiver as ive just purchased some kef speakers & sub but dont have a surround receiver yet, so cant use!!!

You have suggested the sony over the Onkyo, im really keen to know how you rate the denon 1910 as ive read it is uk tuned and the new yamaha 765 isnt, the fact the sony is currently five stars makes it all interesting, yamaha are on a roll with their previous efforts and denon have five star pedigree.

I intend to buy one of the above tomorrow sat 18th july, which is before your new edition is out, would £480 on the denon be well invested? else the sony can be found for £400 as a cheaper alternative, the yamaha is about the same price as the denon.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, but I can't disclose the results until the issue is out!

I'd strongly suggest - as I would even if you had already read our test - that you try out a selection of receivers before you buy, using DVDs/Blu-rays you know and love for test reference (and getting as close a set-up to your home one as possible).

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Clare thanks for your reply much appreciated.

I wasnt fishing for the results of your test just some gentle buying guidance! like most people id like to use the receiver with music too. ive always liked denon products and im leaning towards the 1910 (this is without hearing a thing yet!) are you able to tell me if its more musical than the sony or is that overstepping the line?

jamie

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Take some CDs with you, as well as those movies I mentioned
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Just to confuse things a little more......................I've just bought the ES2400 for the kids room. I thought I'd keep the ES5200 I've had a for a while for myself as its (I just asume) better.

Am I correct in this assumption. Its a little hard for me to be conclude because I'm trying to compare an old favourite with the new kid on the block.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Think I have now ruled out the Onkyo as the 'running hot' issue is a big problem for where Intend to place the thing as the heat let off by the PS3 is more then enough!

Thanks for everyone's valued opinions, very much appriciated.

So... Denon 1910 or Sony 2400??

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you're a WHF subscriber, you'll know our answer to that - and views on all those other new receivers, don't forget - in a week's time or less (subs copies arrive from 24th). Even if you pick up a copy in the shops, it'll be there in 10 days....

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
hi, thought i'd let people on here know that richer sounds let me purchase an av receiver on sat and said if i wanted to change it for another i could within 14 days, obviously i took them up on the offer.... when i asked to take to sony 2400es they didnt have one in stock and suggested the onkyo 607 (the guy also had one at home) i asked for the yamaha 765 but guess what none in stock, the same for the denon 1910 but they did have more than one onkyo 607 in stock! so i took it and they said they could get the others in if i wanted.

Prior to this i popped into audio-t to ask for a demo of the denon 1910 but the guy said they dont stock them because they dont rate them, i asked for the yamaha and he said the same again and said the onkyo's where clearly the best (he also had one at home!) and gave me a demo of the onkyo 607 which sounded good, although the dialogue wasnt that clear.

Once your review is out i think i will exchange for the test winner, as already the sony is rated higher than the onkyo 607.

I used the onkyo 607 over weekend and quite liked it, although i have to increase db of centre speakers to hear the talking better, is this usual practice?

what do you think to the pushing of the onkyo's?

also could i ask if you had to choose between the onkyo 607 or a refurbished onkyo 875 for a similar price which would you choose?

thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
j4mm3r:
I used the onkyo 607 over weekend and quite liked it, although i have to increase db of centre speakers to hear the talking better, is this usual practice?

Auto-setup only takes you so far - tweaking a receiver to suit your particular room/speakers/preferences it always recommended. We've also done some work on testing different Room EQ settings, with interesting results - more on that in our forthcoming test (not long to wait now!)

j4mm3r:

what do you think to the pushing of the onkyo's?

It's a tough market out there, and retailers are pushing the stock they have. It's also worth noting that the Onkyos remain great receivers - many may prefer their upfront, cinema-centric delivery to the all-round performance we prefer from the Sony and others.

j4mm3r:

also could i ask if you had to choose between the onkyo 607 or a refurbished onkyo 875 for a similar price which would you choose?

I'd take the 875 if it came with an as-new warranty - there could be many reasons why it was refurbed and I wouldn't want any to re-occur!

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Clare thanks very much for replies, very kind of you to reply to our thoughts.

I think im wise enough to make a final decision by myself now lol after actually having a av receiver for the weekend rather than just reading reviews etc.

I do have one more question however and then hopefully i wont need to pester you anymore!!

Can you point me in the direction of some useful discussion/information/standards regarding the settings of speaker frequiencies, the instruction manual dosnt suggest much, after setting speakers up with the supplied mic, the db of my speakers where around -6db which im sure in the scheme of things is fine but my sub didnt seem to be doing much... when i checked the frequiencies of the speakers etc they where all about 120hz, i tweeked these to about 80 after reading online and the sub started to work great, my concern is i dont actually know what the hell im doing lol is there a good guide out there, im a little disappointed i have to worry about all this why cant i just plug and play!

thanks again, last question i promise :)

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
just bitten the bullet and reserved one (Denon 1910) from Richersounds for collection on Saturday!!!! Hopefully WHF will be generous on their review
emotion-4.gif

Cant find info if the Denon 1910 allows pass through? The 1909 has this feature according to my mate.

A

Anonymous

I took the plunge and got the Sony. Must say im very pleased with it.
Although richer sounds tried to sell me a Onkyo or a Harman Kardon!!

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i listened to the sony 2400es and the onyko606 and the denon1909 was far better imo, they say the denon1910 is even better i would how a listen. But i cant comment on the 607 that could be would try. What ever you get enjoy and dont think i wish i could of and all that talk. Just sit back and make the most of having an upto date reciever. All the best

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
lol i dont believe it!! i had the same problem with my amp! needed some answers and you go and do a group test and make me wait a couple of weeks lol, gutted!

whats reckon to being able to find the sony kdl-40z4500 for under a grand with 3 year warranty - bargain?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts