Advice needed please!

matthewpiano

Its all change again here. The Denon stuff is on its way out. Its brilliant kit but the sound is far too over-bearing in my room.

So, I'm building a more neutral sounding system to suit the fact that I'm actually only about 6-7 feet away from my speakers. I've snapped up a pair of original Quad 11Ls for £155.00 and I plan to partner this with an Audiolab 8000s (unless anyone has any better ideas), which I'm currently trying at home and am very impressed with. I'm stuck with the CD player though. My NAD C521BEE is shown up by the Audiolab - all the weaknesses I knew it always had.

I'm happy to buy either new or second hand and would like something that will complement the Audiolab/Quad combo. Marantz CD63 KI Sig has been suggested but should I be worried about frailness in these now? What other CD players would you recommend? Is there another amp I should be looking at to drive the Quads?

The system will be used to play a wide range of music but the reproduction of classical music is an absolute priority.

Advice GREATLY appreciated.

(PS I am familiar with the Quads as I've had a pair before and feel they would suit my current situation perfectly).

T

the record spot

If you like the idea of a Marantz, see if you can snag a discontinued one of mine - the SA7001-KI. Brilliant player and the beefy Audiolab and Quad sound (IIRC, the 11Ls have a good bass on them for their size and the 8000s is no shrinking violet...?) will be a good mix with the slightly leaner 7001.

What you will get from this player is an astonishingly good midrange and treble; I play disc after disc with this CD player and never tire of it. Quite analogue too in its' sound although that may be influenced by the discs I play, however, it does major strongly on neutrality and realism. Piano sounds like piano, drums sound like drums and you can easily identify a deeper tom being hit as opposed to a bass drum kick. Equally, with this neutrality you get a caveat that if you're recordings are good, you'll know it but the opposite holds just as true!

You've probably gathered I love it; the sound is excellent, the build is good, the transport inspires confidence. Marantz put another winner together here, so if you do see one for a very good price, do give it some serious consideration.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
ÿI suggest Denon DCD 700 orÿtheÿnewÿYamahaÿS 700ÿorÿ Marantz CD 7300 second hand. They have more detail than the Nad 521BEEÿandÿareÿnotÿbrightÿlikeÿCambridgeÿA.ÿAzurÿplayers. Why do you replaced your Monitor Audio BR 2 speakers? Is the Quadÿ11L more better?What is the diference?
ÿ

matthewpiano

al7478:"cupped"?

Don't get me wrong, they are brilliant speakers. I just find, whatever I drive them with, that the midrange has a strange sort of 'closed in' quality. Its something I noticed on an earlier pair of B2s and its something that irritates me about the BR2s.

I'm looking for an open, natural sound with excellent soundstaging and imaging and good, but not overblown, dynamics.

A

Anonymous

I recommend my KEF iQ30s - the soundstage is amazing, it truly is! However, I could see the bass becoming a bit too forceful in a small room. They can punch you in the stomach with some force! Apart from that, I think the Quads are spot on!

A

Anonymous

Another vote for the Marantz SA7001KI, which is an excellent player. If you want something more forward, try the Pioneer PD-D6-J.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Would agree with the SA7001KI, or an original CD-63MkII KI-Signature if you want to get very vintage. The Pioneer mentioned above is worth investigating, as is one of the various iterations of the Musical Fidelity X-RAY.

Alternatively, the Audiolab 8000CD is a very good player, and available in its current version at very attractive prices.

matthewpiano

Andrew Everard:
Would agree with the SA7001KI, or an original CD-63MkII KI-Signature if you want to get very vintage.

Alternatively, the Audiolab 8000CD is a very good player, and available in its current version at very attractive prices.

Thank you.

matthewpiano

Cheers! It seems the Pioneer has been discontinued (according to retailer's websites). I'm seriously looking at the Audiolab player and the Marantz options. Fancy a CD63MKII KI-Sig in many ways, but a bit scared of it breaking down.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Cheers! It seems the Pioneer has been discontinued (according to retailer's websites). I'm seriously looking at the Audiolab player and the Marantz options. Fancy a CD63MKII KI-Sig in many ways, but a bit scared of it breaking down.

I have an Arcam CD72 paired with an early 8000a and Quad 12L2's and the sound is very clear, crisp and rythmic, if a little revelaing or bright with some recordings.

The later 8000's and more so I hear, the 8000s are better rounded in there sound so I think an arcam cd player would suit well (72 or 73). I picked mine up for £200 on ebay.

Though any marantz KI CD or mid priced NAD would doubtless be great!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:al7478:"cupped"? Don't get me wrong, they are brilliant speakers. I just find, whatever I drive them with, that the midrange has a strange sort of 'closed in' quality. Its something I noticed on an earlier pair of B2s and its something that irritates me about the BR2s. I'm looking for an open, natural sound with excellent soundstaging and imaging and good, but not overblown, dynamics.

Oh, im not offended, just wondered what cupped actually meant.

matthewpiano

Found what looks to be a mint CD63 MkII KI-Sig on Ebay with original packaging/certificate etc. Given my tight budget, and the fact that I always wanted one of these when I was younger and couldn't afford one, I've gone for it.

I'll let you know how I get on!

matthewpiano

Well I've gone a bought a Cyrus 7 amp now as well with the thought that it should bring the detail and neutrality of the Audiolab but with a few less rough edges. I believe the 7 is less bright sounding and more complete than earlier Cyrus integrateds and I think it might work really well. I read a review of it being used with a CD63 somewhere and it was complimentary. At worst I can sell it on if I don't like it.

Waiting in anticipation of some deliveries now!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I might be wrong but sounds like you're in a bit of a hifi rut Matthew. Everybody gets it at some stage and (imo) frantically changing equipment will get you nowhere. Not at least because you won't give yourself the time to accustom to new changes.

I once bought a Denon Micro after chopping and changing my system to often. Lived with the thing for a while and enjoyed music again! Of course eventually I started again but being very careful with selection.

I think your Denon amp is very good but I also think getting an old Marantz player, even a KI model, is a step backwards. I used to have one.

Your amp sounds particularely good with Kef's larger iQ's which have a very open midrange and firm bass, completely different to the MA's you're using at present and available with large discounts (iq7 iq9). Very musical. Add a DacMagic and you add some refinement and detail though I personally like Denon's cdp's.

Just an idea and hope you can sort your system mate.

matthewpiano

Cheers Drummerman. I think that, even after all this time, I'm still finding out what sort of sound I really like to live with day in day out. The trouble is, budget isn't huge and so I think (hope!) that buying second hand will give me some flexibility to start with something that I THINK might suit and then make subtle changes as I get used to what I've got.

Hi-fi eh?? The most annoying thing in the world but worth getting right.

A

Anonymous

Mathewpiano,

I was watching that amp, too!

I wonder whehter you would post a review of it, once you had it for a while. I've been following some of your threads about finding the right, musical setup and think that we may have similar tastes. It would be great to hear what you think of the Cyrus 7.

What speakers will you use it with?

Hedgehog

matthewpiano

Hedgehog:
Mathewpiano,

I was watching that amp, too!

I wonder whehter you would post a review of it, once you had it for a while. I've been following some of your threads about finding the right, musical setup and think that we may have similar tastes. It would be great to hear what you think of the Cyrus 7.

What speakers will you use it with?

Hedgehog

Sorry Hedgehog!!

I've always fancied a Cyrus amp so it was a good opportunity to try one at home without spending ridiculous amounts of money.

I've got a day off today and the Audiolab doesn't go back until tomorrow so I'm giving that a good run today so that I can reach final conclusions on it. Currently listening to Cat Stevens through my BR2s with my NAD CD (I'm obviously still waiting for my Marantz CD and Quad speakers). The Audiolab is actually sounding rather nice this morning.

As soon as I receive the Cyrus I'll give it some serious listening and, once I've spent some time with it, I'll post a review.

I'll be using Quad 11Ls as speakers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I used to own an 8000S when it first came out in the nineties. Did'nt get on with it at all and sold it s/h after 3 months and paying £700 or so for it rather than the £300 you can get nowadays!

I haven't listened to one since though. Let us know how you get on with it and how you compare it with the denon MP.

A

Anonymous

Hi Matthewpiano,I'm really interested to hear what you think of the different amps. I have the Quad 22Ls and an Arcam A70 and CD73. My feeling at the moment is that the CD player is good but the amp is underpowered. While I'm after a smooth and neutral to warm sound, my impression ÿis that the Arcam is a bit polite, even recessed - although I'm pleased that it's certainly not too bright. I listen mainly to classical music and jazz and in particular to music on "original" instruments - there's nothing like an overly bright system for making "original" instrument recordings sound unbearable (as if someone's doing unspeakable things to cats - and I'm a cat lover!). Do let us know how you go.

Cheers,ÿJulienneÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts