Advice needed! Onkyo a-9150 vs Cambridge AXR85 + WH Denton 80th

rero

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Good day to all adherents of the sect of audiophile debauchery and timbral pleasures :)

I’m trying to figure out what would be best of these two babies for casual listening to various music (without extremes), but rather with a predominance of jazz, blues, Rock'n'Roll, different variations of rock! With light interspersed minimal techno, electronics and RNB.

The source at the moment will be Spotify in premium quality and high res. from the laptop, in the near future in combination with a vinyl player, in the same class (Pro-Ject with 2M red/blue).

The priority option is the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniv. Although I also consider something cheaper - Wharfedale 11.1, Dali Spektor 2 or Q - Acoustics 3020/30i

What interests me most is whether Onkyo has enough power to pump Denton, considering 4om / 60W vs 6om / 86db.

I will be glad to hear your opinions!

P.S. The room has a very specific design, but the projection will be more likely for 15-20m2, but with a glass wall on the side while there is enough space behind.

Welcome to the forum.
I would suggest either of these would have sufficient power for the Dentons.
How do you intend to connect your laptop?
I notice only the Onkyo has an internal DAC and the Cambridge is a receiver, do you need radio channels?

Reactions: rero

rero

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
I would suggest either of these would have sufficient power for the Dentons.
How do you intend to connect your laptop?
I notice only the Onkyo has an internal DAC and the Cambridge is a receiver, do you need radio channels?

Hello! Thank you for your response :)

I read that Onkyo have pretty solid DAC, hence I will use standard RCA - 3.5 Jack I guess for connection, as it does not have USB.

For the Cambridge - receiver is not a must, but now this model can be found for the same price as Onkyo, that is why I was thinking on that as an alternative.

Hello! Thank you for your response :)

I read that Onkyo have pretty solid DAC, hence I will use standard RCA - 3.5 Jack I guess for connection, as it does not have USB.

For the Cambridge - receiver is not a must, but now this model can be found for the same price as Onkyo, that is why I was thinking on that as an alternative.
I assume if connecting with a RCA jack you don't need a DAC as you're transmitting an analogue signal, is that correct?

rero

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
I assume if connecting with a RCA jack you don't need a DAC as you're transmitting an analogue signal, is that correct?

That is a good question, I would like to clarify that.
What actually DAC algorithms are? If it will not work with RCA IN, it can be used only with CD Source or similar devices?

That is a good question, I would like to clarify that.
What actually DAC algorithms are? If it will not work with RCA IN, it can be used only with CD Source or similar devices?
No expert but that DAC is there to receive and decode digital signals. If you are attaching a laptop via RCA plugs then surely you are passing an analogue signal and not a digital one?

rero

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
No expert but that DAC is there to receive and decode digital signals. If you are attaching a laptop via RCA plugs then surely you are passing an analogue signal and not a digital one?

So is there any way to use DAC of Onkyo for laptop? Or as there is no USB, it is not possible? :(

D

Deleted member 108165

The Onkyo appears to have both optical and SPDIF (coax) digital inputs so you will need a USB - SPDIF or Optical converter between them in order to feed a digital signal from your PC to the Onkyo DAC.

Reactions: rero

rero

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
The Onkyo appears to have both optical and SPDIF (coax) digital inputs so you will need a USB - SPDIF or Optical converter between them in order to feed a digital signal from your PC to the Onkyo DAC.
Thank you for the tip! I will check on that one :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts