Advice needed for sound quality for TA-D505 amp.

mattdbryce

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

I've got a Sony TA-D505 amp with 2 x Sony SS-CCP500 Speakers that sounds great with vinyl. But if i plug the audio cable from my laptop (macbook retina) from the headphone port of the mac into the mic port of the amp the sound is OK, but not awesome. I have the volume on the mac to half way up (any more and it sounds terrible) and the volume on the amp isn't very high at all, but it cracks and isn't punchy like it is with vinyl. I've tried turning the mac volume down to 1 and the amp up, but you loose the bass big time.

Is the reduction in sound quality due to:

1. The Mac sound card not being good enough?

2. The quality of the speakers?

3. The fact i'm connecting into the mic port, is there be another way?

4. some other reason?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

mattdbryce

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Another thing i should mention is that i'm using a jack to jack cable with an adapter on one end for the mic port on the amp. One of these -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007ZR1ZBE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=479289247&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000LATMQW&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1P3SCBTDGKYCKMZPQW8M

Is there a better quality cable i can buy? My headphones cable is silver plated copper and sounds sweet.

Thanks!

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Don't know much about Macs but if they are like Windows laptops you should connect it via the line in inputs on the back of the amp. You'll need a mini jack to phono cable like this:

cable.jpg

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
If Macs are like Windows you should have the volume at max on the Mac and use the amp volume knob only. Something to do with losing bits with a digital volume control. Macs may be different however.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts