Advice needed for a streaming 2k system

fishcack

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I need some advice please I'm looking for a system that I can stream music through from Spotify and my nas drive and use internet radio. Pretty much all the functionality of a naim muso but as a stereo not the muso's only care about the brands any suggestions will be great fully received

as in the heading I've got 2k to spend and as someone is buying me it as a gift it has got to be new

we listen to a variety of music and the room it will go in is 7x5M so any ideas I can go to next I've tried so far see below

I tried out the qute and ls50s today is it me or are these seriously lacking in bass? Or has the rather large demo room got something to do with this?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
fishcack said:
I tried out the qute and ls50s today is it me or are these seriously lacking in bass? Or has the rather large demo room got something to do with this?

The Unitiqute 2 is only putting out 30 Watts per channel and the KEF LS50s are quite a 'stiff' load at 85dB sensitivity with impedance that drops to 3.2 Ohms. Trying to fill a 'large demo room' is going to be a challenge.

If you intend to use the combination in a small room at moderate volumes then it'll probably be ok. (Absolutely NO parties mind you!)

And/or ... get some easier to drive loudspeakers (much nearer 90dB sensitivity with impedance that doesn't dip too low).

And/or ... try a more powerful amp with the LS50s.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
depends what you are talking about? the chord qute or the naim?

the naim wont have the guts for the ls50's, you will need a more powerfull amp.

if your talking dac's then i have no idea, the chord qute is superb and should not lack bass.

fishcack

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I wasn't having a dig at the speakers, this setup was recommended by 2 separate hifi shops today the second one where I demoed the equipment was very fast to pull out a power amp to sort the lack of bass. Which was great after this was done I tried some proac' as well both were great after the pa was thier

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
When I heard the LS50's I found that they needed generous volumes for the bass to come on line. At lower volumes the bass seemed to disappear.

If you look at the Stereophile frequency response measurements for this speaker, they were made at 2.83 volts, which equates to genereous volumes. It'd be interesting to look at their frequency response at lower power levels.

In a large well furnished room it's quite possible that speakers that measure flat from 20 hz to 20 khz (at 1 metre) could sound lean because of the way that higher frequencies are more directional than lower ones.

Anyway, it's fair to say that LS50's aren't for the OP. These speakers aren't for everyone. I'd suggest that the OP should try some larger speakers. And that he should get himself to the Scalford show on the 20th March to hear a wide variety of systems.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If it was me, I'd go to Richer Sounds and demo the Cambridge CXN, CXA60 and Q Accoustics Concept 40 speakers. Total price £1999.97 and hard to beat for sound and versatility at that price in my humble opinion.

fishcack

May 7, 2012
Visit site
splasher said:
If it was me, I'd go to Richer Sounds and demo the Cambridge CXN, CXA60 and Q Accoustics Concept 40 speakers. Total price £1999.97 and hard to beat for sound and versatility at that price in my humble opinion.

thanks will do next weekend good idea not seen much ca stuff

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I ve just picked up the Pioneer n50a from Peter Tyson for £379 to do the front end connected to my NAS and so far really, really impressed, nice build and great sounding. The Pioneer apps s bit slow but bubble works really well

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree with the Cambridge/ Q Concept recommendation, or perhaps the Cambridge CXN with a decent pair of active speakers.

TRENDING THREADS