Advice For A Newbie Please

Woodruffe

Feb 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I need some advice on my current set up please and the changes I want to make. I've got a dodgy old Wharfdale hifi from out of the ark but it is separates and it really needs to be binned, however, on my travels I was given a pair of Paradigm LCR 450's from a real hifi nut who was upgrading his system. These are used with the Wharfdale and sound great but they are beasts of speakers for what I need.

Most of my music is now digitised on a lossless format and I was wondering if I invested in the Fatman ITube would it have the poke to power the speakers and get the best out of the system? I've tried to do some hunting and I can't find a Paradigm dealer anywhere and only being new to the game I was wondering if they are to good to give up and I sould make the rest of my system around them rather than vice versa?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

Ben.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I've found these link for the Paradigm's http://www.paradigm.com/en/pdf/reviews/centers/studiocc590_review_167.pdf and http://www.audioweb.com/P/PInfo.asp?pid=48900
Sensitivity of 87dbw/m quoted suggests that they're not very loud for a given amount of electrical input and a frequency response starting at 70Hz means they won't start to reproduce deep bass.

While the Fatman is cute and sexy and has lovely valves, I wouldn't expect it to drive the Paradigm's very loud.

If the lack of bass is a problem, try moving the speakers as close as you can to corners of your room. This tends to produce a more pronounced bass boom, though not necessarily deeper.

I'd be tempted to sell the Paradigm's seperately on EBay as AV centre speakers and the Wharfedales privately as they're probably not worth postage costs. If you've already got the spare cash for a new Fatman, selling these should give you a 400 to 500 budget for new amp and speakers. This would open a world of options to you and there's tonnes of advice here and elsewhere.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Here's an afterthought. Do you intend to use your PC as source? Maybe think about new sound card or Squeezebox or similar. I use 18 quid Maplin USB to Optical box and a 110 quid Beresord DAC. It's a ludicrously cost effective way of getting decent sound from a PC.

A

Anonymous

up the music:Here's an afterthought. Do you intend to use your PC as source? Maybe think about new sound card or Squeezebox or similar. I use 18 quid Maplin USB to Optical box and a 110 quid Beresord DAC. It's a ludicrously cost effective way of getting decent sound from a PC.

Do you have a part number for the Maplin box. Done a site search but I cant find it. Thanks

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=34128&C=16981
There you go. Works fine with XP, don't know about Mac. No additional drivers or install disc required. Plug and Play.

Woodruffe

Feb 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks very much for that, really appreciate the advice I didn't have a clue where to start - time to weigh the speakers and work out postage costs :)

Although my music is on the P.C it's all on a external hard drive attached to a laptop when it needs to be, the ipod is my primary music source as a standalone. I've been ogling things like the gigajuke or streamium but I think it's time for me to mature a bit and buy something as a top notch music player rather than a gadget :)

Thanks again,

Ben.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm drifting further from your amp/speaker problem here but Russ Andrews cable looks like a good (though expensive when compared to a mini headphone to 2 phono cable) way to get signal from IPod to whatever amp you end up with. Check it out here http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?src="google&lookup=0&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=2204&customer_id=PAA1523099808116KSOPFZTLZDMJCKYV"

Lee

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts