Advice for a first HiFi setup?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all! Was wondering if anyone had any input on this for a new setup. My tastes vary but mostly consist of quite a bit of classical, some country, a little ambient stuff, and the whole gamut of rock/indie/grunge/punk/pop blah blah blah, as well as more modern indie stuff. My budget isn't fixed but it's kinda medium first time buyer.

On to questions:

1) Turntables. Heard good things about 2nd hand Planar 3's but I'd rather buy new as it's a first time purchase, just to avoid any possible complications. That pretty much leaves the Rega RP1 or some kind of Pro-Ject entry level, potentially a Debut III. Has anyone really heard a difference in sound between these two? My only worry is that I've heard the from some that the Debut's cart is pretty poor and I don't want to fork out >£80 for a new one right away.

2) Speakers. So far I've got my eye on either the Tannoy V4's or Monitor BX2's with a decent stand. Currently leaning towards the V4's but I don't have a lot of room so the whole rear-wall-bass thing could be an issue. Does anyone have experience of how big a deal this is?

3) Recievers/preamps/amps. This is where I come unstuck. I really have no idea. I don't want to play CD's or anything. I just want something with that sounds good and has basic volume/bass/treble controls. The only thing I've really come across is the Cambridge Azur 340. Does anyone have any experience with any alternatives?

Any other pitfalls to avoid or traps to fall into for a first time buyer?

Thanks!

iMark

I can't advise you on a TT. I just bought a Pro-Ject 1Xpression III but that's quite a bit more expensive (and better sounding) than the Debut III.

If you don't want to overcomplicate things with an integrated amplifier, buy one with a phono stage. One example is the Yamaha A-S300. Another one is the Denon PMA-520-AE.

I use a 12 year old Denon stereo receiver with a built-in phono stage and I really like the sound.

I don't think there a lot of pitfalls if you buy well known brands. But I would always audition the combination of amp and speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts