Advertising on the site - Grumble # 454677

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I've just attempted to post on a thread, and in doing so, someone walked into my office. I minimised my screen, to protect the illusion of diligence I've carefully crafted and then, from nothing at all, "Intel jingle" and then someone in a hollywood trailer voice started prattling on about an Asus ultrabook.

Very annoying.

I know you need adverts to raise revenue, blah blah etc., but:

(1) unsolicited pop-ups; and
(2) unsolicited sound files,

are both very annoying and (in my opinion) a bit ill-mannered. There's precious little I can do, save that I can make sure the advertising has the opposite effect to that desired.

*adds Asus to the "brands to avoid" list, alongside Samsung*

I know exactly what you mean! I'm currently participatingin a Virtual Action Learning Set involving webcam, speaker & mic. Just decided to sneak in on this site to check posts....

andrew_sullivan_angry_bird.jpg

A

Anonymous

Its not standard practice to have non user initiated sounds, and I am shocked to hear that any reputable brand is doing non user initiated pop ups. I'm pretty sure Haymarket wouldn't have allowed pop ups either, so I would check its not software running on your PC which is the most likely way to deliver pop ups and is nothing to do with the website.

The software can be bundled with other software and difficult to get rid of.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts