Additional Sonos Play 5

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Apologies for what may seem a dim question

I have a ZP90 hard wired into my router. If I add a Play 5 in say the kitche do I need a Zone Bridge or not or will it connect to the ZP90 by virtue of the fact the ZP90 has a hard wired connection?

Thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Assuming the kitchen isn't so far away or separated by very thick walls from the ZP90 then yes it'll just connect wirelessly. That's the strength of Sonos, the wireless mesh network. Bear in mind if you don't have a Sonos controller then you'll need to ensure your own wireless network has access in the kitchen in order to control it from an iPhone/Pad/Android device.

A

Anonymous

Thanks LHC, thought that was the case. I do have a CR200 controller, costly I know but not an Apple owner.

Now need to go shopping...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
nick8858 said:
Thanks LHC, thought that was the case. I do have a CR200 controller, costly I know but not an Apple owner.

Oh you'll be fine then, the CR will connect to whichever ZP it finds convenient.

Now need to go shopping...

Seem to be some deals around on the ZP90 and Play:3, not sure if the 5 has been included at all.

A

Anonymous

Another possibly daft question. Can you hard wire say the ZP90 AND the Play 5 to the router (have plenty emppty sockets)?

Would it increase SQ or is the whole point os Sonos that it communicates wirelessly. Its just that there is an easy route from router into my kitchen to make a cable run. Would SQ be better or am I tweaking for tweakings sake, or more to the point doing something totally unnecesary.

Will cheack out Play 3 as well, might be more wife friendly visually. Main point of additional Play 3/5 is because after the good lady has finished cooking I usually need an hour or so to clean up the debris and chaos she leaves behind so a little therapeutic music wouldn't go amiss.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
nick8858 said:
Another possibly daft question. Can you hard wire say the ZP90 AND the Play 5 to the router (have plenty emppty sockets)?

You can, provided your router can deal with Spanning Tree Protocol (and has the function enabled, not all of them can, so you'd need to check that). If it can't then doing that will cause no end of problems due to the ZPs having two routes between them, which could cause a broadcast storm and nobody wants one of those.

Would it increase SQ

No.

or is the whole point os Sonos that it communicates wirelessly. Its just that there is an easy route from router into my kitchen to make a cable run. Would SQ be better or am I tweaking for tweakings sake, or more to the point doing something totally unnecesary.

It's only necessary if the wireless communication between the ZPs is so weak you can't listen to music on the wireless zone. There's no other reason to do it. If that is the case then adding a Zonebridge (wirelessly connected) halfway between the two ZPs should sort that out, unless the wireless is really bad. You can currently get a ZB free with the Play:3.

Will cheack out Play 3 as well, might be more wife friendly visually. Main point of additional Play 3/5 is because after the good lady has finished cooking I usually need an hour or so to clean up the debris and chaos she leaves behind so a little therapeutic music wouldn't go amiss.

Don't forget with both the Play:3 and 5 you could, at a later date, add a second one and create a stereo pair, which greatly increases the sound quality (it says here...). You can't mix the two in a stereo pair though (ie it needs to be two P:3s or two P:5s, not one of each). The P:3 can be easily wall-mounted as well, if that helps.

A

Anonymous

Splendid many thanks LHC, no more questions, just down to a little matrimonial negotiation

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts