Additional Power Amp

MarkHawkFloyd

Sep 19, 2021
Visit site
Hi all, Just a general question: I have a matching integrated and power amp, which runs bi-amped. In general; would adding a further matching power amp and then using the integrated amp as a control amp then bi-amping the two power amps make any significant improvement?
It’s been bugging me for a while and I like to get some thoughts/opinions on it. Thanks.

MarkHawkFloyd

Sep 19, 2021
Visit site
Additional information: So I have an Arcam alpha 10 integrated amp and 10 power amp, which run bi-amped. I’m looking to add an additional alpha 10p to utilise the mono block facility I.e. mono link.
Has anyone done this? And also does it make the noticeable difference stated in the instruction manual? I’d also like some tips on how this is wired (I-link) etc as it doesn’t make it clear in the manual. Any help welcome, thanks.

Hi all, Just a general question: I have a matching integrated and power amp, which runs bi-amped. In general; would adding a further matching power amp and then using the integrated amp as a control amp then bi-amping the two power amps make any significant improvement?
It’s been bugging me for a while and I like to get some thoughts/opinions on it. Thanks.
in my opinion you'd not be utilising the power amp section of the integrated amp so economically it doesn't make sense.
sell the integrated, buy a pre amplifier and the additional power amp to use as a monoblock pair then you'll have a system....

Last edited:
sell the integrated, but a pre amplifier and the additional power amp to use as a monoblock pair then you'll have a sysyem....

I did this with Arcam gear, though bi-amping rather than using as monoblocks. But you could try both ways.

With an integrated, the budget is split between pre and power sections, so it'll never do either job quite as well as a similarly-priced (and similarly well-made) pre or power.

Reactions: Al ears
I did this with Arcam gear, though bi-amping rather than using as monoblocks. But you could try both ways.

With an integrated, the budget is split between pre and power sections, so it'll never do either job quite as well as a similarly-priced (and similarly well-made) pre or power.
quite agree. A decent preamp will have the money spent where it is needed.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I used to own the diva a85 integrated and added a p85 power for a bi-amped system.....it didn't really make a great improvement...I was going to add another p85 like you are thinking, but I doubted that it'd be worth the outlay, so I ended up selling both amps and moved to a Naim nait xs.....this brought the upgrade in sound I was looking for....although I had a shock when I plugged in my Qed silver anniversary cable....copper is the order of the day for a Naim amp....long story short...I think you need to start looking further up the amplifier tree for a marked improvement on what you already own and it doesn't necessarily mean a pre /power combo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts