Adding power amps to a Sony STR-DA5400ES?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I currently own a Sony STR-DA5400ES surround amplifier with 5 XTZ 99.26 good (I my humble opinion) quality bookshelf speakers with ribbon tweeters. As a CD player do I use a Marantz CD63MK2 KI. My problem is that the Sony is great for movies, but I find it lacking with music. It is not bad, but it sounds a kind of sterile in stereo when compared with my old Technics SU-A900 MK2 stereo amp, even when in 2 channel direct mode.

I use good quality interconnects and speaker wire, but I forgot the brands and can not check it since they are very hard to get to.

So I wonder if I would get better results if I would add an extra power amp and use the Sony only in a pre-amp functionality for the front L+R channels, so also in 2 channel direct mode when it will turn off as much processing as possible. I am thinking about adding a pair of the Audiolab 8000P mono power amplifiers. I feel that my XTZ 99.26 need more clean power than the Sony can provide, for they sound a lot better and more right when I turn up the volume, and I assume that the Audiolabs may improve things in matters.

Any opinions, experiences or suggestions?

Jan

A

Anonymous

Ronald,

Thanks for the feedback, but at the moment is that not really an option. This would mean that I would have 2 pairs of front speakers, and I don't have the place, nor my wife's approval, for that.

I know that for good quality stereo, a dedicated stereo system is the best option. As your set-up is.

So I presume that the second best option is using only the pre-amp section of my surround amplifier and some dedicated poweramps.

I know that I have to trade some sound quality for ease of use and looks of the livingroom. But still I want to make the best of it.

So any more sugestions?

Janson

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
i have bi-amped my speakers with 2 rotel power amps using my onkyo av reciver as a pre amp.im not sure how close it is to a dedicated stereo amp but improvment was there to be heard (dac magic helped to
emotion-21.gif
)

sorry i cant really advice you as i dont have much experiance of a dedicated stereo amp but the hifi guys will probably still advice you to set up a second system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts