Adding a turntable to a mini hi fi system

Spelbell1995

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
For a long time I have wanted to start record collecting as my dad has gave me a few to start off a collection. As I'm only dipping my toes in the water I don't want to spend loads of money. I was looking at the popular Crosley portable all-in-one things as a starting point but can't ignore all the bad reviews. I own a decent mini hi-fi player (SANDSTROM Shftpph10) and was wondering if I could add a turntable which had a preamp and play it through this somehow (excuse my naivety and lack of knowledge).

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum.

To be honest I think you would be much better served by saving up a bit more money than buying the Crosley. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge on turntables will be along to advise you. I suspect that the second hand kit may be your best route. To take full advantage of a half decent turntable I suspect you are going to need to replace your Sandstrom kit.

In the mean time enjoy your current music and visit a few dealers to see what's available.

Cheers

Crossie

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I think the Crosleys use pretty bad cartridges which could well damage your records. I think the Pro-Ject Elemental, which will come with phono/RCA leads that you just plug into a phono stage and then into your AUX input at the back of your amp, would be better- it's about 150 quid. Alternatively, one of these which has a pre-amp built in so you just plug it straight into the AUX stage. They're not brilliant but the sound quality is surpringly reasonable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bush-Turntable-Model-MMT-1-/161232864315?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item258a3a443b

You should get it for £20 I think. Actually I have no idea! It won't be much though.

TRENDING THREADS