Adding a power amp

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
A dealer has offered me the chance to buy an ex demo Quad 909 power amp to hook up to my Sugden.
I've never been down this route and know very little about it.
My real concern is would it be counter productive to add a Quad to a Class A amp?
Any comments welcome.
Thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Not sure I like the sound of that (sorry about the pun!)...but I don't know for definite.

I think I would stick with the Sugden on its own, until you could change it for more expensive Sugdens, or a MF AMS35i (keeps doubling its power, even into 2 Ohms).

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I think you have to ask yourself what you like/dislike about the sound of your system and try to figure out how a change of component will address that.

A £900 power amp hooked up to a £4000 integrated sounds counter productive to me.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
I kinda guessed that would be the reaction, it was my gut feeling, just needed it confirming.
Cno, how much is the MF new? or does it ever come up second hand-ex demo?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Thanks for the replies. I kinda guessed that would be the reaction, it was my gut feeling, just needed it confirming. Cno, how much is the MF new? or does it ever come up second hand-ex demo?

They have a list price of £6k, but in the current climate the dealers usually have 10% that you can fight for. If unsuccessful, Indra is the person to contact at MF.

I have not seen them 2nd hand, but I have ex-demo here :
http://www.kronosav.com/products#ecwid:keywords=ams35i&mode=search&offset=0&sort=relevance
That's not a bad price and probably negotiable. They are one of my local dealers and are highly recommended.

Try to get an audition....it's like an IA-4 on steroids (especially the bass), and if anything, the mid range is a touch less lit up. It sounds fantastic with PMC Fact 8, Proac, Kef Refs and Focal.....probably ATC. ;)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the link Cno.
Don't get me wrong, the Masterclass is the best amp I've ever owned and very happy with it, but I'm afraid I experienced some awful customer service from one guy at Sugden recently, which I won't go into and that's all it takes for me to be put off a Company.
Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to change amps again, but I will bare this site in mind for the future.
Thanks again.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
They now have shops in London, Brighton and Manchestor, though the owner and his son are in NI:
http://www.kronosav.com/contactus

If you need more info at any time, give me a shout

Cno

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
They now have shops in London, Brighton and Manchestor, though the owner and his son are in NI: http://www.kronosav.com/contactus If you need more info at any time, give me a shout Cno

Hi Cno,
Spoke to a guy in the Ireland office today... really nice guy. Apparently the other outlets in the UK aren't actually shops, they are concentrating more on home demonstrations, as they feel people don't get a true reflection on how the equipment will sound in a specially prepared demo room in a store.
Unfortunately, he wasn't able to offer me a part ex on the MF, as he is selling it for an existing client who will of course be wanted the asking price.
Not a problem though, I was just curious to see what the deal would be.
Thanks again, I'll keep an eye on the site over the coming months.
All the best.
Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
They now have shops in London, Brighton and Manchestor, though the owner and his son are in NI: http://www.kronosav.com/contactus If you need more info at any time, give me a shout Cno

Hi Cno, Spoke to a guy in the Ireland office today... really nice guy. Apparently the other outlets in the UK aren't actually shops, they are concentrating more on home demonstrations, as they feel people don't get a true reflection on how the equipment will sound in a specially prepared demo room in a store. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to offer me a part ex on the MF, as he is selling it for an existing client who will of course be wanted the asking price. Not a problem though, I was just curious to see what the deal would be. Thanks again, I'll keep an eye on the site over the coming months. All the best. Mac

If you are still keen, give them a ring and ask for David (the owner); he will normally advertise and try to sell the Sugden on your behalf (without commission)....I have always found him most accomodating.

Cno

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The guy did in fact make the offer to try and sell the Sugden for me, but I would really need to home demo the MF before committing myself to anything and apart from anything else, not really in a position to shell more money out at the moment, having recently changed my CDP and speakers as well as buying the Masterclass.
I'll be out and about with a mate of mine in a couple of weeks, as he wants to buy a new Hi Fi set up, so I'll see if any of the dealers we visit stock the MF and have a sneaky
listen if I can.
Cheers
Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
The guy did in fact make the offer to try and sell the Sugden for me, but I would really need to home demo the MF before committing myself to anything and apart from anything else, not really in a position to shell more money out at the moment, having recently changed my CDP and speakers as well as buying the Masterclass. I'll be out and about with a mate of mine in a couple of weeks, as he wants to buy a new Hi Fi set up, so I'll see if any of the dealers we visit stock the MF and have a sneaky listen if I can. Cheers Mac

...of course.

One bit of advise....only listen if you are ready to buy. I only demoed out of "academic interest", and before I new it.... ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts