Adding a Cyrus PSX-R Power supply

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Everybody seems to agree that adding a PSX-R power supply to Cyrus components will boost power and clarity.

I have a 6vs 2 integrated amp running as my pre amp into a Cyrus 8 Power. I am going to bi-amp this afternoon with the 8 Power serving the LF and the 6vs2 the HF.

I would only be able to add a PSX-R to the 8 Power as the 6vs2 will not accept one.

So, my question is there any point in adding a PSX-R to the 8 Power when it seems to me that all I would be doing is boosting the power and clarity to the LF's? Excuse my ignorance if I have got this totally wrong.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

If you're buying second hand, for not much more than a PSX-R you could get a second hand 8 power which will give you much more than a PSX-R. But if you really want an improvement consider selling or trading in the 8 power and getting a s/h X power.

Not sure if you're aware but CyrusUnoffical forum is a great place for some excellent advice from like minded Cyrus fans.

A

Anonymous

Don't buy a PSX-R as the improvements will be marginal. I would get a dedicated pramp (and sell your 6vs2) and may be a second 8 power to biamp.

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Ian I am aware of the unofficial cyrus forum; perhaps I'll give that a go as well. But any more advice form here would be welcome.

Cheers.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Adding a PSX-R to the power amp will give you a bit more grunt and resolution, but I noticed the biggest difference when adding one to the CDP - obviously not an option in your case. If I were you I would flog the 8 Power and get an X Power and if like me your Cyrus boxes want to go forth and multiply, start building from there - Over time I have got to the stage where I have a PSX-R on everything apart from my AV unit (next job) and it sounds fab!

Currently listening to: Jeniferever - Spring Tides

A

Anonymous

I've heard it makes a marginal improvement but not heard it myself so I am not qualified to comment. Interested in other thoughts though!
emotion-5.gif

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Has made a significant difference to my Cyrus 8 XPD, where the PSX-R powers the pre-amp stage and DAC. Better clarity, with tighter (not deeper) bass.

Frees the internal transformer in the amp to just power the power amp stage, effectively turning it into a pre-power...

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Gusboll:

Adding a PSX-R to the power amp will give you a bit more grunt and resolution, but I noticed the biggest difference when adding one to the CDP - obviously not an option in your case. If I were you I would flog the 8 Power and get an X Power and if like me your Cyrus boxes want to go forth and multiply, start building from there - Over time I have got to the stage where I have a PSX-R on everything apart from my AV unit (next job) and it sounds fab!

Currently listening to: Jeniferever - Spring Tides

Oh dear I think my Cyrus boxes do want to go forth and multiply! I don't suppose there is any point in selling the 6vs2 and upgrading to an 8vs2? I guess if I am thinking along those lines then I might as well get a dedicated pre-amp and another power amp to bi-amp?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
TBH with my other half having a Cyrus set up as well; we have tried the PSX-R's and didnt get anywhere with them.

The system sounds brilliant now that the speakers are bi-amped so I'd go down this route and get used to the sound before you think about any further changes.

As said in the other posts; keep the 6vs2, use that to power the HF on the speakers and use the 8Power to power the LF on the speakers.

You will notice a difference in sound straight away so see how you go with this for a month or 2 :)

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks d_a_n I bi-amped yesterday and to be honest I did notice an improvement in sound straight away. I must be more patient but you know what it's like when you have the bug!
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts