Addictive hobby

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Agree with the OP. I definitely find it to be a very addictive hobby. I've never understood people that can stick with gear for years and still be involved in this hobby. The hobby is all about gear, how can you avoid lusting after the next upgrade? My system has been stable for about a year now but that was after many iterations of gear swapping. And I'm still always thinking about what will eventually be my next change.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired said:
I've never understood people that can stick with gear for years and still be involved in this hobby. The hobby is all about gear ...

I guess I must be 'cured' then. Same system for the last three and a half years and still happy with it. (And that last change was a deliberate, complete - and final - break from separates, the swapping of which tend to define hi-fi as a hobby.)

I still love using the system (many hours per day as I work from home a lot) and I still buy CDs (to rip) very regularly so the interest/involvement has not waned.

Ok, it's nice to daydream occasionally about something like a Naim UnitiQute 2 and some little Harbeths but, frankly, if I was handed £3K right now, I wouldn't be beating a path to the nearest hi-fi shop the moment it opened tomorrow morning. It's not that high a priority. There are other 'nice-to-haves' i'd rather have first.

I once had a system that I used for eleven years* without change (except for two replacement Goldring 1042 styluses) between 1996 and 2007 and only got the 'itch' to change in the last of those eleven years.

*Rega amp, Rega tuner, Rega TT, Yamaha cassette, KEF speakers.

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Finally.......I went to change my amp order....picking up my RA-1570 tomorrow.

I did audition the PM1s with RCD-1570 and RA-1570 and jazz music........it was damn tempting especially in their B&W listening room.

So now, RA-1570 driving CM1s, Sonos system and for Hi-def macbook pro using Audirvana or Fidelia (still trialling)

Leaves me room for upgrades, maybe :

CDP if I really dont like my Sony XB930 and/or

Rega/Project TT .....IF I want to venture into the vinyl world

Never know, maybe in a year I'll be asking about B&W 805D or other brands

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
boshk said:
Freddy58 said:

*biggrin* I just knew you were going to suggest those. I might have a look at the CM5's.

hahaha, good luck in your hunting. keep us updated :p PM1s? hehe

Two things that initially put me off. Small driver and price, although I see there's a pair on a well-known auction site
regular_smile.gif

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
boshk said:
Freddy58 said:

*biggrin* I just knew you were going to suggest those. I might have a look at the CM5's.

hahaha, good luck in your hunting. keep us updated :p PM1s? hehe

Two things that initially put me off. Small driver and price, although I see there's a pair on a well-known auction site

They are pretty expensive but they sound great, not that not bass though.

At least you have a normal-ish room 14x12, mine is set up in my one half of my living room (12'x27'), on left side, so realistically its a 12x12ish. I can use curtain on left side, but my right side is wide open....

(update) just spent last 4hrs listening to my new toy, RA-1570---->CM1, adore it.

CDs, Sonos, mac laptop Fidelia, playing 16bit, 24bits songs.

Now I cant bring myself to go back into my study room to use my PC, my setup in there is Sonos Amp------>15yr old KEF speakers doesnt sound right......

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
boshk said:
(update) just spent last 4hrs listening to my new toy, RA-1570---->CM1, adore it.

CDs, Sonos, mac laptop Fidelia, playing 16bit, 24bits songs.

Now I cant bring myself to go back into my study room to use my PC, my setup in there is Sonos Amp------>15yr old KEF speakers doesnt sound right......

Glad you're enjoying it, I'm certainly happy with mine
thumbs_up.gif

siudai8888

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi boshk

I have also been thinking about getting the PM1 offer from B&W, together with the Rotel RA1570 amp/RCD 1570 CD. What do you think about the combination so far?

I am also considering some other speakers such as Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 and Neat Petite SX.

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
siudai8888 said:
Hi boshk

I have also been thinking about getting the PM1 offer from B&W, together with the Rotel RA1570 amp/RCD 1570 CD. What do you think about the combination so far?

I am also considering some other speakers such as Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 and Neat Petite SX.

Hi. You are from HK too I guess.

I like my combo CM1 and RA-1570 but I would suggest you get the package deal.

You can always sell the CD player if you dont like it.

The PM1 is very very nice. I actually wish I had got the package.

Take CDs you listen to alot to Central or TST and listen to the package. Also, if your listening area is big enough for floorstanders, ask them to connect CM8 or CM9 or CM10 and listen.

The guys are good there.

siudai8888

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I went to the Dudell Street showroom yesterday. You are right that the PM1 is nice, especially the higher tones. I was surprised by the size of the amp. Will be looking around more before deciding. Am also looking at other speakers such as Sonus Faber and Harbeth. Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts