Add stereo amp or spend more on better receiver?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Looking for a surround receiver. I'll be using it for movies and music. My questions are on the music part. I want to get the most from my B&W 685's. Budget for a truly musical setup would be around 1000 to 1300.

I'm considering the usual suspects, like the Yamaha 1065 or the Denon 2310. Reading the reviews of these receivers, I understand they're "not bad" at playing music, which doesn't sound like much of an endorsement.

Would music benefit from adding a budget stereo amp like the Marantz PM6003 to the multichannels mentioned (via preouts)? Or would I not notice the difference with or without the Marantz?

Another option would be to put the extra money for the Marantz (roughly 300 quid) in a more expensive receiver instead, like the Sony STR-DA5400ES. It's review says that it "gets closest here to matching a reasonable stereo amplifier for CD playback". I wonder what's meant with a reasonable stereo amplifier, how does it compare to a budget hifi amp like said Marantz PM6003?

Sound quality being equal, the latter option would be nicer. I won't have to fiddle with the front volume when watching movies, one device instead of two, movies will benefit from a better receiver as well and I'll have more features, some of which I might actually use, like the dual HDMI out (I might add a TV to my InfocusX10).

I'll audition a couple of options, but your help in narrowing my options is much appreciated!

A

Anonymous

Most AV amps are not great for stereo but it depends how important that is to you. I have a Cyrus AV system but the home cinema has very limited features. The stereo music quality is fantastic and that was my priority.

Some stereo amps (Cyrus is a good example) have a bypass facility which avoids having to mess about with two volume controls.

Consider buying a second hand Cyrus amp (8vs2 for example) and then buy a Japanese AV amp as this would you give the best of both worlds.

I compared a Cyrus amp to an ARCAM AV300 with the same CD player and forgot about having a single amp to do everything!

A

Anonymous

angelface59:

I compared a Cyrus amp to an ARCAM AV300 with the same CD player and forgot about having a single amp to do everything!

Ah, very useful, thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only one that's considered this option. Getting a used Cyrus is a good idea too, I'll look into the bypass facility you mention, that would rid me of at least one of the drawbacks of going the amp+receiver route.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

As per a previous reply, it depends where your priorities lie.

I think all round you're better with one good AV amp. A lot of these can give good stereo performance, especially if you get the right brand. And you also get the benefits of the better amplification all round with cinema, with better integration as all the channels are being amplified the same, and better multi-channel music.

The wisdom seems to be that you get the stereo performance of an amp valued at a third to a half the price, but I've seen posts that a lot of receivers are better than that in stereo, and that Marantz receivers in particular get closer to similarly priced stereo amps, (which would probably apply to Arcam as well).

But I suppose if your priority is stereo music, then for the same price you could get better stereo performance at the expense of cinema and multi-channel with a stereo amp and chepaer AV amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts