Add Blu-Ray and HD Sound to your Media Centre for around £200.00....Theoretically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Just noticed that Pioneer are now offering a DVD Rewriter with Blu-Ray reading capabilities. If you have an existing media centre PC with 5.1 or 7.1 analogue outputs running to your 5.1 channel inputs on your receiver, for around £200.00, which includes a copy of PowerDVD 7 Ultra, you can enjoy HD movies and HD sound, theoretically :)

More details here:

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_112_ENU.html @ $99.00 US - supports Dolby Digital Plus and True HD as well as traditional Dolby and DTS variants.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=625331 @ £136.00 inc VAT

Cheers,

GR.

A

Anonymous

You will need a VERY capable machine with an equally capable soundcard to do that, as I told my dad when he mentioned this little news nugget to me a few weeks back.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Well I have taken the plunge and ordered the above bits to add to my PC in the lounge:

AMD x2 Dual Core Processor

2 GB RAM

ATI X1950 Pro 512 MB HDCP Enabled

320 GB HDD

Creative Audigy 2 ZS with analogue outputs.

Hopefully these will be sufficient to run the HD Movies and HD sound.

A

Anonymous

The Audigy 2 ZS is a very capable soundcard, but doesn't have the decoders for the new HD sound formats, unless its been updated since I bought it.

A

Anonymous

Saying that, I dont know how a blu-ray or HD dvd IDE will pass the sound to the soundcard, as I havent seen one in the flesh yet.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I am hoping/presuming that the decoding is done via the audio codecs that come with the PowerDVD software rather than those native to the card itself. These would then go to the 5.1 Analogue Outputs of the soundcard, much in the same way that some mid-tier HD players have both HDMI 1.3 and 5.1 channel analogue out, with HD audio being fed to the latter.

These are then linked into the 5.1 ch analogue inputs on a suitable receiver thus providing the 5.1 amplified audio.

Worse case scenario is that I can now watch Blu-Ray movies withou the HD audio and without spending at least £300.00 on an old standalone player of £400.00 on a PS3.

Regards,

Rob Knight.

SameekshaM

Mar 7, 2023
Visit site
With the Blu-Ray Disc/DVD writer and a media center PC, it is possible to enjoy high-definition movies and sound through your home theatre system.

However, to experience HD sound, the media center PC should have a sound card with 5.1 or 7.1 analog outputs that can connect to your receiver's inputs. Also, you need compatible software, such as PowerDVD 7 Ultra, to play the HD content.

With the Blu-Ray Disc/DVD writer and a media center PC, it is possible to enjoy high-definition movies and sound through your home theatre system.

However, to experience HD sound, the media center PC should have a sound card with 5.1 or 7.1 analog outputs that can connect to your receiver's inputs. Also, you need compatible software, such as PowerDVD 7 Ultra, to play the HD content.
Do not dig up.old threads please, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts