Question ADC converters

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Evening all,
As I am now using my new DAC (Wadia Di322) as a pre-amp (connected directly to my power amp) i want to add my H/T left/right to the Wadia just like I had with the H/T bypass on my pre-amp.
I have just got a cheap ADC from Amazon (Portta ADC) . But would like something better, ideally with more than one analogue input.
I have seen the PSaudio phono converter (would do to add both H/T and my turntable). What else is there?
Chris

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Saving readers a step, I looked up the Calypso that PM mentioned, WHF reviewed it, in 2007, at £3200:

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
looks interesting. but only one input.

The PSaudio phono converter goes for about £1000 on ebay. It has 1 analogue input and one input to phono stage, so two analogue inputs and then outputs to coax/optical and USB.
I would suspect it is very good at A/D conversion.

TV/Films/Netflix are 60%+ of my usage then music (90%+ PC streaming, then turntable/radio), So the A/D is the most important feature, then phono stage is a useful extra.

Chris

iMark

If you don't want to spend a fortune and CD quality is more than good enough for you? Buy a used minidisc deck. The ADCs in them are very good. I use one to record vinyl to digital on my computer with optical in.
Not all decks however have optical out. So have a good look at the specs of the model before you buy one. The good thing is that the MD mechanisme doesn't even have to work in order to use the ADC.

Another cheap alternative are old DAT machines. They can also be used as an ADC without a working mechanism.

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Interesting, I have an old Sharp MD-R2 minidisc recorder and a Marantz DR6000.
I have the Logitech ultimate+ remote/hub will need see if i can set it up so i don't need to get up to change settings.

A job for the weekend i think.

Chris

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Because I've (easily) read too much… I'm conscious if I'm too fast bringing up concerns, I'll be kinda a killjoy. And was waiting to read your impressions after you've tried some (of the recommended products).

With CD-quality, let's keep in mind the issue of quantisation (doubled in your case), quoting one example from this forum:
If 44.1kHz/16bit was all we needed, then why do (nearly) all commercial DAC's oversample. Why do all chipsets run at >20MHz clock frequency if all we need is a very small integer multiple of 44.1kHz?. Which proven fact states we only need 44.1kHz/16bit?.

If you referring to Nyquist, then this is based on perfect quantisation and perfect filtering of the analogue waveform. Are you therefore stating that the industry has perfect pre-filtering of the analogue waveform?

Thanks and regards,

Shadders.

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I have tried both units and they need to be in 'record' mode to process the analogue to digital.

I may stick with the little Portta unit for now.

With more DAC's having a volume control i would expect more ADC's to show up?

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts