Adam A5X

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi there.

I have a pair of Adam F5s I bought used (+ Mytek Stereo 96 DAC and a PC) in my study.

I was wondering if the A5Xs would be a really big step up in sound quality.
I manage to listen briefly to the smaller A3Xs, but it has been difficult (fruitless, rather) to find a shop here in Lisbon that stocks the A5Xs.

Thanks in advance.

insider9

I don't know many on here that would hear the Adam's apart from Davedotco. I believe he is a big fan of A5X and their bigger brothers A7X.

Based on the price alone I'd expect them to be significantly better.

Have a look at this thread here

abacus

Unless you are unhappy with the F5 I would stick with it, as while the A5x will give an improvement it may not be as big as what you are looking for.

If you can’t find somewhere to hear them, see if there is a dealer that will let you try them on a buy or return basis. (You will probably have to pay for delivery if you send them back)

Hope this helps

Bil

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
A lot depends on the size of speaker that you can accomodate.

The A7x would be a huge step up but it is 13.5 x 8 x 11 inches compared to 11.5 x 7.5 x 9 inches, if you have the space, make a real improvement.

The A series is more refined and the A5x is better than what you have in all respects but the A7x will bring a different scale to the music as well as the extra refinement. Fantastic value.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Thank you very much for your inputs.

I just rang a local music shop and they may have a pair of A7Xs. Unfortunately they don't stock the 5Xs, so I can't compare.

I can accomodate the larger A7Xs, they aren't really that bigger than the F5s. Or at least it seems.

So, I think I'll visit the shop this afternoon! I'm on my holidays.

Thanks again.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Pedro said:

I just rang a local music shop and they may have a pair of A7Xs. Unfortunately they don't stock the 5Xs, so I can't compare.

I can accomodate the larger A7Xs, they aren't really that bigger than the F5s. Or at least it seems.

Thanks again.

Any luck getting to hear the A7x?

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
Pedro said:

Thanks again.

Any luck getting to hear the A7x?

Hi Dave. Yes, I managed do hear the 7x at that shop. Really amazing speakers and definitely great value for money, like you said.

I also listened to the 5x in a shop outside of Lisbon. Excellent speakers, but not quite in the same league as the 7Xs. The 7xs have a better bass response, larger scale and seemed more neutral.

Now, the 7x are larger than I anticipated and the speakers are meant for a desktop system, something I failed to mention in the thread. My study is really small and stands (floorstands, that is) are a no go, so these speakers seemed overkill and I decided to go for the 5X.

I didn't really like the shop, but to make a long story short I ended up buying them from a Spanish website. Should arrive tomorrow, I'm really chuffed :)

Thanks again for your invaluable input!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The desktop angle was sort of where I was coming from in my first post, the size can be really important and I agree, A7xs would be too much for a desktop.

No idea what you use for supports but the small, rubber, wedge shaped stands from Adam and Audio Engine are pretty good, I used the small AE models for my desktop and they worked really well.

Talking of things Adam, I have been toying with the addition of a Sub7 or Sub8 to my setup. Not sure how much I actually need it but the idea of being able to tweak level and rolloff from the listening position sounds like hours of fun.

Surprised how few subwoofers have remote control, sounds very useful indeed.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
@ Dave: I'm using foam pads, similar to the ones Thomann sells. Do you think those rubber ones from Adam or Audio Engine would do a better job?

Adam subs look very interesting indeed. Just out of curiosity if you go for the Sub7 how are you planning on decoupling the sub from the floor? Some IsoAcoustics stands (or something of the sort)?

@gasolin: Yes, I saw the video if that's what you were asking, cheers.

gasolin

https://www.thomann.de/dk/isoacoustics_iso_l8r155.htm

ISOL8R155.jpg

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Oh yeah, the speakers just arrived from Spain. Already playing some Shostakovich (Violin Concerto no. 2; Linus Roth/LSO). Amazing little things! :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The better version of the X-Art tweeter found in the Ax series really is a gem, sweet as.

Regarding your earlier post, I used the rubber 'wedge' stands as they are quite unobtrusive and gave a decent tilt when sitting at the desk. Not tried the regular foam pads but they seem popular, will at least stop the speakers vibrating the desk top.

The Sub thing is just idle speculation at the moment, most of my music does not really need them so this might not go anywhere. Looking closely at the Sub7/8, they do not even appear to have rubber feet, so that will require some thought should I go down that route.

TRENDING THREADS