Active Topics

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
gel said:
Well I know I can log in quite simple now, and post quite easily, I can do pictures, I can link stuff, what else more could you want from a forum? *smile*

Oh, let's see: a forum search that actually works; private messaging; the ability to tag and follow threads in which you're interested; the option of email alerts when a thread in which you're involved receives more posts; a spam filter that stops spam and doesn't stop genuine posters from starting threads; consistent handling of 'active topics' and other headings; better moderation to keep in check those who think it's big and clever to swear at every opportunity; more involvement from the forum owners beyond a token answer to the odd very simple question; more sense that we belong to something and are not a nuisance to the proprietors; more community and less conflict; that sort of thing...

You know, all the stuff other forums seem to manage so well on an 'enthusiast' budget and yet this one with the resources of the best tech magazine in the known universe (or whatever) doesn't seem to be able to
More community, it sounds like you are living in the past Norman.

D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
relocated said:
The_Lhc said:
relocated said:
I abhore people who, should have the answers and power to change things, but hide away and only come out when forced to; yet bound out of the shadows to chat about trivia.

Really? Really really? You "abhore" them do you?

Get a life mate. I mean seriously, take a long look at your life and work out where it all went wrong because if that's something that seriously troubles you then there is something very wrong. That's worrying, seriously worrying, borderline nutter in fact. That kind of comment scares me. If this website causes you that level of angst you need to leave, for the sake of your mental health if nothing else, WHF isn't worth that level of emotion.

It's a bit of a rubbish website, that's all, it isn't important on any level whatsoever.

Firstly, as we have spoken before, I am not your mate. Any time I need life lessons from a complete hypocrite I'll happily put a gun to my head.

Do you really have such miniscule values and sense of proportion that you actually believe the tripe you've just posted? Still I suppose you do have the odd entertainment level in your skewed vision of the world.

Do I believe what? That a website isn't worth working yourself up to the levels of emotion such that you "abhore" the people that run it? Yes, very much I believe that. What "values" am I missing out on here? Whose sense of proportion is so out of kilter here, yours that prompts you to use (and presumably feel) such strong emotion as abhore towards Andy and the rest of the staff or mine that understands that sometimes we don't get everything we want in life, that just because we visit a website it doesn't give us the right to personally criticise the people that run that website at every available opportunity, that if a website is a little slow or doesn't have all the menus that we want, it *really* *doesn't* *matter*.

I just don't understand why this is so important to you. It's just a website, it's not even YOUR website, why do you care so much?
That's what I do get either, that's why I said were you winding them up, because plenty of members have done. It's not a criticism, just a question.

D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
gel said:
More community, it sounds like you are living in the past Norman.

While I don't follow the logic of that comment whatsoever, I'm glad that's the only thing with which you managed to disagree.
Okay, private messages is never going to happen, now you are living in a dream world. *smile*

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
relocated said:
The_Lhc said:
relocated said:
I abhore people who, should have the answers and power to change things, but hide away and only come out when forced to; yet bound out of the shadows to chat about trivia.

Get a life mate. I mean seriously, take a long look at your life and work out where it all went wrong because if that's something that seriously troubles you then there is something very wrong. That's worrying, seriously worrying, borderline nutter in fact. That kind of comment scares me. If this website causes you that level of angst you need to leave, for the sake of your mental health if nothing else, WHF isn't worth that level of emotion.

It's a bit of a rubbish website, that's all, it isn't important on any level whatsoever.

Firstly, as we have spoken before, I am not your mate. Any time I need life lessons from a complete hypocrite I'll happily put a gun to my head.

Do you really have such miniscule values and sense of proportion that you actually believe the tripe you've just posted? Still I suppose you do have the odd entertainment level in your skewed vision of the world.

Do I believe what? That a website isn't worth working yourself up to the levels of emotion such that you "abhore" the people that run it? Yes, very much I believe that. What "values" am I missing out on here? Whose sense of proportion is so out of kilter here, yours that prompts you to use (and presumably feel) such strong emotion as abhore towards Andy and the rest of the staff or mine that understands that sometimes we don't get everything we want in life, that just because we visit a website it doesn't give us the right to personally criticise the people that run that website at every available opportunity, that if a website is a little slow or doesn't have all the menus that we want, it *really* *doesn't* *matter*.

I just don't understand why this is so important to you. It's just a website, it's not even YOUR website, why do you care so much?

Are you being paid per line or word? It just isn't within you to understand simple principles is it? Give it up, because as usual you're just digging a bigger, deeper hole.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
relocated said:
The_Lhc said:
relocated said:
The_Lhc said:
relocated said:

Are you being paid per line or word? It just isn't within you to understand simple principles is it?

How am I supposed to understand if you don't answer the question? What are the principles that you're trying to uphold?

Give it up, because as usual you're just digging a bigger, deeper hole.

Eh? What are you talking about? I'm just trying to understand why it is you feel so strongly about this? I've no idea what it is you think I'm trying to say but whatever it is, it isn't what I'm actually saying. I don't understand any of this negativity, believe or not, I'm actually concerned about your well-being.

daveh75

spiny norman said:
gel said:
Okay, private messages is never going to happen, now you are living in a dream world. *smile*

Why not? It's not much more than the click of a couple of buttons in most forums packages.

Easy to implement.

But with WHFs hands off approach, its a PITA (from an admin POV) they probably don't want to get involved with

A

Anderson

Maybe we could set up THAT HiFi forums instead. We'll link to all the articles published on What HiFi but do all the discussion on THAT HiFi instead.

Ive always wanted to run a more focused forum.

daveh75

Anderson said:
Maybe we could set up THAT HiFi forums instead. We'll link to all the articles published on What HiFi but do all the discussion on THAT HiFi instead.

So not content with impersonating forum staff and other users, you now want to nick their users/traffic, but thats OK because you'll throw 'em bone by linking back to their articles

Nice!

I've always wanted to run a more focused forum.

Then go build one off your own back

D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
gel said:

Why not? It's not much more than the click of a couple of buttons in most forums packages.
Too much grief to manage Andrew said.

A

Anderson

spiny norman said:
simonlewis said:
You are confusing Anderson with me *drinks*

Are you sure you're not a figment of Anderson's Saturday night imagination?

If he was he'd be miserable Sunday morning and non existent for the rest of the week.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
relocated said:
Andy Clough said:
relocated said:
So WHF, how about a response or will you hide away as normal when asked about the unchanged sub-standard performance of the site?

As I've said before, we have to share dev resource with all our other brands and yes, up until now, Autocar and Stuff have taken priority over us as they had to be moved over to the Drupal 7 platform.

Yes, the Active Topics page does take longer to load than other sections on the site due to the volume of pages on the Forums, but we did make some tweaks at the end of last year which helped a bit. However, I appreciate it is still slower than we would all like. I'll keep pushing for further improvements.

Thank you for turning up. I and probably all regular forumites know that WHF has to share with other publications.

At the back end of last year I seem to remember that you promised WHF would be more towards the front of the development queue, so has that not materialised? I've waited 2 months to highlight an ongoing failure, to give you time to pitch in on our behalf.

There may still be a certain ''volume" of pages but there is not the relentless flow of posts to keep up with, like there used to be. So there is much less chance of delay because of being swamped by posts.

Is it not possible to have a 'drop-down' menu of Forum categories, like in Reviews and News, because that would at least take one slow action out of the equation? I've never understood why it wasn't created in the first place.

Over to you Andy.

Edit: Can you also enlighten me on the seemingly purposeless "Your comment has been posted" banner/pop-up, that I asked about earlier and soon after it first appeared when the 'Upgrade' was done?

Thanks.

Bumped, as my questions have got lost in a sea of concern by Lhc as to my mental health. Bless his little cotton socks.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
relocated said:
Bumped, as my questions have got lost in a sea of concern by Lhc as to my mental health. Bless his little cotton socks.

I just asked a simple question, if you don't answer it then apparently I have to keep on at you until you do. It's a principle or an old charter or a tradition or something...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts