Active Topics

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
When oh when is WHF going to sort out the ridiculous time it takes to load the Active Topics pages? It has been crawling ever since the website upgrade, so why can you guys not get it sorted?

It has just taken 1min 25 seconds to load page 1 and then 1min 37 seconds to load page 2 and this when the number of posts is so few and far between. We were promised site improvements after Xmas/New Year and that is 2 months gone by.

A

Anderson

It's noticably slow, in this day and age it should be pretty much instant.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Just did it now, and it took around 12 seconds. I had noticed the whole site being slower over recent days, but this morning it was very quick, though slower now.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Just did it now, and it took around 12 seconds. I had noticed the whole site being slower over recent days, but this morning it was very quick, though slower now.

Maybe it's traffic-related? Slows down over the weekend when there's only Songs of Praise and Countryfile on the TV, so everyone's using it; speeds up on Monday morning when we're all back at our desks trying to look busy; slows down about Monday lunchtime when we all stop pretending and start doing some serious surfing and looking forward to the weekend. ;-)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
relocated said:
Perhaps someone from WHF would like to comment on the continued poor performance.

425AirportFlyingPigs.jpg

D

Deleted member 2457

The whole of the Internet seems to be rather crap at present to me.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
relocated said:
So WHF, how about a response or will you hide away as normal when asked about the unchanged sub-standard performance of the site?

"Active Topics" opens within 3 seconds for me. Is it only this site? Which browser are you using?

Yes BB only this site. I could understand it if the forum was as busy as it used to be and the different topics were constantly having new replies made. But sadly there has been such an exodus of regular posters that even that excuse is not available.

Oh WHF, while I'm on again, what is with "Your comment has been posted" still being used when it serves no useful purpose, certainly in the forums, as your post is presented in the time line before our very eyes.

D

Deleted member 2457

relocated said:
bigboss said:
relocated said:
So WHF, how about a response or will you hide away as normal when asked about the unchanged sub-standard performance of the site?

"Active Topics" opens within 3 seconds for me. Is it only this site? Which browser are you using?

Yes BB only this site. I could understand it if the forum was as busy as it used to be and the different topics were constantly having new replies made. But sadly there has been such an exodus of regular posters that even that excuse is not available.

Oh WHF, while I'm on again, what is with "Your comment has been posted" still being used when it serves no useful purpose, certainly in the forums, as your post is presented in the time line before our very eyes.
You certainly like busting WHF's chops, give them a break mate, the website works quite well now.

D

Deleted member 2457

I imagine as well most of them fear for their jobs.

D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
gel said:
the website works quite well now

Is that speaking as a defrocked moderator, or as a civilian? ;-)
Well I know I can log in quite simple now, and post quite easily, I can do pictures, I can link stuff, what else more could you want from a forum? *smile*

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Well I know I can log in quite simple now, and post quite easily, I can do pictures, I can link stuff, what else more could you want from a forum? *smile*

Oh, let's see: a forum search that actually works; private messaging; the ability to tag and follow threads in which you're interested; the option of email alerts when a thread in which you're involved receives more posts; a spam filter that stops spam and doesn't stop genuine posters from starting threads; consistent handling of 'active topics' and other headings; better moderation to keep in check those who think it's big and clever to swear at every opportunity; more involvement from the forum owners beyond a token answer to the odd very simple question; more sense that we belong to something and are not a nuisance to the proprietors; more community and less conflict; that sort of thing...

You know, all the stuff other forums seem to manage so well on an 'enthusiast' budget and yet this one with the resources of the best tech magazine in the known universe (or whatever) doesn't seem to be able to

D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
gel said:

Oh, let's see: a forum search that actually works; private messaging; the ability to tag and follow threads in which you're interested; the option of email alerts when a thread in which you're involved receives more posts; a spam filter that stops spam and doesn't stop genuine posters from starting threads; consistent handling of 'active topics' and other headings; better moderation to keep in check those who think it's big and clever to swear at every opportunity; more involvement from the forum owners beyond a token answer to the odd very simple question; more sense that we belong to something and are not a nuisance to the proprietors; more community and less conflict; that sort of thing...

You know, all the stuff other forums seem to manage so well on an 'enthusiast' budget and yet this one with the resources of the best tech magazine in the known universe (or whatever) doesn't seem to be able to
It sounds like you want to be on AVForums Norman. *smile*. I personally like the new WHF website and the way it's run. Moderation all the time is crazy and who benefits from it? All the ones who did moderate for WHF are gone now too. I doubt the job role of being a moderator even exists anymore. No point asking for things that are never going to happen too. Perhaps a reality check is needed for some members? *smile*

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
It sounds like you want to be on AVForums Norman.

Have no interest in AV whatsoever, so why should I? You really don't understand...

gel said:
I personally like the new WHF website and the way it's run.

Is it being run, or is it just running away?

gel said:
Moderation all the time is crazy and who benefits from it

Those of us who are tired of the constant effing and blinding, of the people who post abusive or offensive content for effect or their own twisted amusement, and of the inability of newcomers to post a simple, perhaps naive, question without being jumped on by the pompous wavers of their own appendages.

gel said:
All the ones who did moderate for WHF are gone now too.

Are they?

gel said:
I doubt the job role of being a moderator even exists anymore.

Was it ever a 'job role'? I thought it was done by some secret clique of members – and John Duncan, who also doesn't seem to be around here too often – on some kind of voluntary basis. That's why I was a little surprised when you declared yourself to be one of the moderators: I thought only JD was upfront about it, being ex-WHSV staff.

gel said:
No point asking for things that are never going to happen too.

Why shouldn't they happen? Most of the technical points I raised are available in just about every 'off the shelf' forum package you can get to build into a site, and many of those packages are either free or of negligible expense, so there's no reason why they shouldn't be incorporated if there's a will to do so.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts