ACTIVE SPEAKERS OR IPOD DOCK OR £400 CD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I HAVE AN IPOD TOUCH WHICH I WANT TO USE TO PLAY MUSIC IN A GAMES ROOM, WHICH WILL GIVE THE BEST SOUND QUALITY, A DOCK A BUDGET SYSTEM OR ACTIVE SPEAKERS. MY BUDGET IS ONLY £400.00.

ANY DIRECTION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yup, I can vouch for the Aktimates - have only just got a pair last Friday and haven't given them a full workout sound wise as yet, but what I've heard is pretty spectacular. As WHF say though, I would put them on some proper speaker stands to ensure you get the most out of them.

EDIT - note that the Akitmates can also stream video to TV if so desired.

idc

Don't have one yet, but I have had a comparison with my Bose and it sounds better, particularly the sound stage is fuller and it has more weight; B&W Zeppelin. It also has great connectivity and can be used to stream video from an ipod to a TV.

A

Anonymous

Simon Lucas:
Eddie Pound:The Aktimates are not active, as far as I can see!

One of 'em is, and that's sufficient.

Are they not "powered" loudspeakers? i.e. passive crossovers but amps built-in?

The recent group test in the mag wasn't at all clear, using the term "active" interchangeably with powered loudspeakers?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Have to say the term "Active speakers" to me has always meant speakers which don't require external amplification. Wikipedia agrees with this definition and whilst I'm fully aware Wiki is not the most trustworthy source and can often be "technically" incorrect, it certainly represents the common view. So I think in this case, the Aktimates more than likely fulfill the OP's request...

(NB - of course if they don't, I offer the OP my apologies for the waste of his time this discussion has caused
emotion-5.gif
).

idc

So two votes for active speakers, one for a dock and none for a budget system (I assume that is what you mean Cameroni by £400 CD). It is one of those occasions that makes me think again it would be nice if What Hifi tested different products (Aktimate vs Zeppelin vs Onkyo for example) against each other as well as the usual group tests.

A

Anonymous

In that case, this is a terrific bargain http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4932

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
Have to say the term "Active speakers" to me has always meant speakers which don't require external amplification. Wikipedia agrees with this definition and whilst I'm fully aware Wiki is not the most trustworthy source and can often be "technically" incorrect, it certainly represents the common view. So I think in this case, the Aktimates more than likely fulfill the OP's request...

(NB - of course if they don't, I offer the OP my apologies for the waste of his time this discussion has caused
emotion-5.gif
).

As you say, Wiki isn't a reliable source of information.

An active loudspeaker doesn't even require internal amplification! For instance, a Naim active system.

A

Anonymous

al7478:
pretty much everyone must be in the dark then, as thats what active means to me, and everyone i know.

so what does it mean?

It means the speaker has an active crossover, and that crossover is before the power amplifier.

There will be an amplifier for every drive unit, connected directly.

Bolting an amp into a passive speaker makes it a powered passive speaker. It isn't active unless the crossover is re-designed and another amplifier is added.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Eddie Pound:professorhat:

emotion-5.gif
).

As you say, Wiki isn't a reliable source of information.

An active loudspeaker doesn't even require internal amplification! For instance, a Naim active system.

You're kind of missing my point which was the OP was probably asking for a system which doesn't require external amplification as this is the commonly held view of what an active speaker is. So thanks for setting us all straight, but the main point really for my posts is the AktiMates may well suit the OP's requirements so he should check them out.

idc

Eddie Pound:

It means the speaker has an active crossover, and that crossover is before the power amplifier.

There will be an amplifier for every drive unit, connected directly.

Bolting an amp into a passive speaker makes it a powered passive speaker. It isn't active unless the crossover is re-designed and another amplifier is added.

Hi Eddie, can you give any product examples of powered passive and active speakers, and which type is the Aktimate? Just curious.

A

Anonymous

I agree it would be nice to read how they all compare

You were right I was hoping to compare the Aktimate with the B&W Zepellin and the cambridge 340A Amp player with their 340A amp and S30 speakers.

Obviously, the Cambridge set up would play CD's but would it perform better than the other two becausse it comprises separates, which this magazine always seem to advocate?

idc

Hi Cameroni, if it were me I would go for the Zeppelin because I like the sound, looks and convenience. But the advantage of separates is easy future upgrading. I have not heard the Aktimate, but it is clearly well recommended.

The best way to connect an ipod to an amp is with one of these Russ Andrews GQ-24 cables and use the phono version not the min jack as it is a better connection, and that came from an Apple employee. The problem is finding somewhere to audition all three at the same time. So bite the bullet and put a few tracks you know well onto your ipod and visit three stores and ask to plug your ipod in and have a listen.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Not used active speakers before so can't comment however the fatman itube ipod dock is awesome i bought one for the kids room and was unprepared for it to ignite a music passion in me that had been previously happy to listen to cd's from my pioneer dvd player. Over the years i've thought i should really have a separate cd based system and listen to various mid high end stuff at bristol etc but never really heard anything to make me think i was missing out on anything. All that has changed and it's because of the fatman imo better than the zepplin which i have heard. I cannot praise it enough it is the best value product i've ever brought. I'm looking at raga apollo and thinking i want one and it's all because of the fatman and because CD is better than MP3 isn't it !??. Also thinking about the naim uniti also because of the fatman it has had a dramatic affect on my music perspective for real i can not recommend it enough. You'll be able to go for the base model or the Carbon edition i had Monitor audio BR1's (in your budget) and soon upgraded to Mezzo 2's (not in your budget) but you could get tannoy F1 in your budget. I would go for a fatman over the same price cd player maybe not a more expensive cd player however i'm still working that out myself. The other good thing about the fatman is you can put anyone's ipod in and you can instantly play there favorite music. It would i think be very cool in a games room. It's your choice but i would encourage you to at least check out the fatman option i don't see how you would regret it.ÿ

A

Anonymous

IDC,

For example, in the PMC range the DB1S-A and TB2S-A are powered passive loudspeakers because there is just one amplifier bolted on the back, whereas the AML1 is a two-way with two amp's per speaker, the MB2S-A is a three-way with three amp's per speaker, etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts