active speakers - does the length of cable matter

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i was reseaching the active route and after reading PP posts about his amp etc i kept going back ti IG,s

AVI ADM9.1 as a vaild upgrade for myself its alot of money but by xmas i could save that heres where the problem is that i have my hifi kit under the stairs and have 2 runs of speaker cable to missons the left speaker is about 3.5m away from the kit.

so if i was to seriously think about this a future option i would have a 5m interconnect from the phono stage,5m usb cable from my laptop and a 5m optical from a cd player are these runs fine or would i get poor results.

plus with active speakers can you pick which side the master goes on and which the slave goes on.

davemartin01

May 4, 2010
Visit site
The cable runs should be fine, after all the cable from the slave to master is 5 metres long and functions perfectly. You could cut out the need for the USB by adding an airport express and streaming from your laptop. Also have you considered abandoning the CD player altogether and ripping all your music into a lossless format of your choice? This would then only leave your phone stage.

Regarding swapping the left and right channel it is an easy fix when playing from a laptop as the channels can be swapped via software but unfortunately is not the case using a cd player.

Messiah

I do not think tha cable lengths will be an issue.

I use a 5m USB and have no issues with it. Have also used Optical and Phono leads of this length and they are fine.

As for the Master/Slave, the ADMs are set so that the left is the master. You could cheat I suppose by reversing the RCA connection but this will not work with the digital inputs.

Would this matter??

Messiah

davemartin01 said:
Regarding swapping the left and right channel it is an easy fix when playing from a laptop as the channels can be swapped via software but unfortunately is not the case using a cd player.

So there is a work around. Combine this with swaping the RCA connections and all is sorted!

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
thanks alot , im in the middle of doing all my cds in flac only got 180 odd and 20 singles but i would be using spotify alot and then turntable but i like the idea of the balance of active speakers. ive really only heard people at my budget who are totally happy seem to have gone all rega. anyone know good places in the midlands to demo some good active speakers from 500-1000 mark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts