Active speaker systems

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Having recently listened again to AVI's ADM9 (and going to dem the new ones soon) I want to compare them if possible to a couple of other products such as Acoustic Energy's AE22 active and perhaps some Dynaudios.

I just been on AE's site and had a look at the product spec. It seems they only have balanced xlr and jack inputs which limits their appeal somewhat for home use unless a fully balanced pre-amp/source is used. Does anyone know if they make an RCA version?

Also, is it possible to switch the various filters out?

What balanced pre-amp with built-in DAC options are there for less than 1k (must include R/C)?

Perhaps the WHS&V team could give their opinion how they compare to the AVI's (and active Dynaudios if you had them).

Thanks

John Duncan

Um - there's the Krell KID (but you'll be lucky to get it under a grand, I think). But then you're stuck with an iPod as a source, as far as I can tell - no other inputs.

Cambridge 840E and a 200 quid DAC?

exdem Primare Pre30 and a Beresford?

A

Anonymous

Make sure you also try PMC active speakers. http://www.pmc-speakers.com/productCats.php?mode=productCats&cid=5
Still without a dac though. Pmc use flying mole (who!?) as their amp of choice next to bryston.

Some time ago, while searching on the net, I stumbled upon a manufacturer building wifi enabled, bryston powered PMC speakers.
Sorry to say I couldn't find it back; best ask PMC for a hint in the right direction.

EDIT: here it is... PMC Free FS1 active loudspeaker http://www.freespeakers.eu/

A

Anonymous

It's worth pointing out that the ADM9.1s have a built remote controlled preamplifier with two optical digital and one analogue input and that the included handset selects inputs, controls volume and mutes. Also and important, the volume setting is remembered for each input so that if one is loud and another quiet, you don't get blown out of the room when you change inputs. The DAC is a full 24/192 spec, so ready for 24 bit DVD As and 24 bit downloads and there's an output for a special, dedicated Sub.

I think this may make the ADM9s unique. The Editor and Technical Editor of Sound On Sound, one of the most influential Pro Audio Magazines of all, were so impressed that they've offered to give private testimonials.

Ash

A

Anonymous

Ashley James: The Editor and Technical Editor of Sound On Sound, one of the most influential Pro Audio Magazines of all, were so impressed that they've offered to give private testimonials.

Ash

im sorry, is this the same ashley james that dismissed the opinions and reviews of hi-fi magazines and their readership

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, it gives Russ Andrews a break
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

There is quite a big difference between hi fi reviewers, who are in the main non technical enthusiasts, and the Editor in chief and Technical Editor of what may be the most influential Pro Audio Magazine in the world today.

Both are engineers and sound engineers and Hugh Robjohns ran the BBC training School at Wood Norton. They make recordings, they teach others to do the same and they understand the technology.

Ash

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts