Active 2.1 system for 1000-1200USD

Hello, I am searching for a system 2.1 which will be more for listening music and also for watching movies.

I was thinking to go for B&O S3 but before I buy them I would rather take advice before. So is there any other system which have good sound or maybe better for that price?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I am not much for surround sound, but find my set up ok. - I know it wouldn't suit a movie buff.-

You'll get better advice here if you give a little more info. What amp do you have? I see you have tannoy speakers. Would you need floorstanders, or do they need to be smaller bookshelf type.

A sub can probably be run from any amp but an amp witha dedicated sub out is probably prefereable. I recently bought a monitor audio a100, that has a sub out, though it is mainly a stereo amp, so an amp with a stereo amp with a sub out is possible.

Depending on your amp, a better set of speakers will likely go a long way to curing your problem

EDIT- Your speakers are active oops

Everything else I said holds through though. If you need an amp witha sub your choices are a stereo amp or a surround sound amp. I think it is generally considered that stereo amps are better for music unless you really spend a lot on a surround amp.

One thing though is if you buy any recommended amp, it will likely need digital inputs to feed your bluray/dvd/ sat box into. I'd look into something like the Yamaha AS701 and possibly q acoustics concept 20 with q acoustics subwoofer as a start

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Yip, realised that after my big unhelpful spiel above :)

If I were you i'd open a new thread with the with active in the title. There are a few around here that really know about these type speakers that may likely not click in otherwise- sorry I was no help

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Yamaha NX-N500 actives which have most bases covered

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/speaker-systems/network_powered_speaker/nx-n500/?mode=model

coupled with a Yamaha NS-SW300

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/speaker-systems/subwoofers/ns-sw300_w/?mode=model

Speaker review here...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/yamaha-nx-n500-review

Amd a different finish from the usual black or white in this Russian video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLAefMnw2-8

There's loads of options out there...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Darko Bijelic said:
thanks for that, but tannoy 802 is active speakers and I dont have amplifier so I would rather go for active speakers so I dont have so much stuff in room :)

Is why not add a sub to your 802s?

You can set the bass level independantly and use the built in eq on the 802s to minimise bass.

Even better, get a sub that allows you to cut the bass on the main speakers, an Adam Sub7 say.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
thay don't seem too shabby, so perhaps keeping them and adding a sub as Dave above says is the solution. Unless of course you fancy a total change...

I bought a new system, system audio saxo 1 speakers (active), and sub saxo 10....for the price which is about 1000$ I am very happy now and I can recommend them...

Only one thing is that saxo 1 are very small speaker and I found that they have a small sound stage....maybe its because I have them 1.5m between, or should I do something else?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Darko Bijelic said:
I bought a new system, system audio saxo 1 speakers (active), and sub saxo 10....for the price which is about 1000$ I am very happy now and I can recommend them...

Only one thing is that saxo 1 are very small speaker and I found that they have a small sound stage....maybe its because I have them 1.5m between, or should I do something else?

This system is not available in the uk so you are unlikely to find anyone with direct experience.

Looks nice on paper though, like all good speakers positioning is very important, particularly if you want to get the best from them, on a desktop this may not be easy. Small speakers do, generally, image very well, but you will need proper stands and optimum positioning to achieve that.

For what it is worth, the Saxo 1s are powered passive speakers, not active as is the case with many speakers of this type, however they do seem suited to your needs in this case.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
but I dont think your speakers are active but 'powered' would be a better description. I've looked at the specs on the manufacturers website and it states 'Power 80 Watts True RMS total. Upon looking at the rear of the speaker there appears to be + and - speaker wire binding posts which suggests to me one speaker is powered by the other which houses the amplification unit. Hence, these are not active speakers but powered. If I'm wrong then so be it . I found the website to be a little vague in some areas.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts