Acoustic treatment? Have you tried sitting on the floor?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
sheggs said:
As well as treating your room acoustically then the positioning of monitors, sitting poistion can make a massive difference.

The best way to check this is to measure the room response, get the waterfall graphs for different positions etc and look for the best response.

There are quite a few different free software packages that you can get for free. I would Recommend REW. Microphone wise for measuring the Behringer ECM8000 is cheap and very good. Whichever microphone you use just make sure it is omni directional. Try out different things with the room set up and try it out

If you need help on getting going go onto You Tube look REW measuring rooms and there are quite a few videos which will help

+1 :)

I also used REW to measure my room response before erecting acoustic tiles to improve the listening environment. REW is quite easy to use and it is FREE.

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi

There are different types of acoustic treatment but if you have none at all you would need some panels first to treat the reflection points. These are the immediate reflection points that the sound will hit once coming out of the speakers. Remember this can also be the ceiling. This is to try and tame some of your mid and higher frequencies. Imagine 45 degress from the side of the speakers and put some treatment there.

yuor room is a dreaded cube, which means whatever you do don;t sit in the middle !! LOL

You'd need plenty of bass trapping in the corners to tame the nulls and peaks in your lower 60hz and below

With a cube room I'd def recommend acoustic treatment. If you are good are good at DIY you can have a go yourself

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
Anyone else fancy trying this?

I'm not yet ready to ditch the sofa in favour of some scatter cushions and bean bags, but I do have a shopping list for the ingredients of a homebrew acoustic panel. I might even get round to taking a few photos and do a brief 'how to'.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
John Duncan said:
Cup your hands behind your ears and see how much the sound changes...

Im going to design an audiophile hat which does just that :) ...

March+or+Die+Hackman.jpg

A

Anonymous

I just got some Dali Zensors today and have been playing around with positioning. Directly on a shelf they sounded boxy and boomy so i tried placing them on some auralex mopads and they sound much more better. I have a couple of pieces of knauf RS60 behind them to help absorb the low end and even at decent volume they still sound controlled so don't overlook some kinda treatment. At least the first reflections will help with the clarity. Imho upgrading the gear without addressing potential room issues is a false economy as they'll always be there and affect the quality of the sound your hearing. My 2c. :)

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Acoustic treatment or how your room sounds, is one of the most important things to consider when butting together a Hifi system.

The very reason why this is important now, is that Hifi manufactuters are making systems more & more accurate sounding.

This the very reason why all music recording studios have the room treated. The same reason so many buy A hifi product then get home & it sounds horrible. All the stuff about music sounding neutral from a system is almost impossible unless the room is treatment.

`It seems to me that when its comes to HIFI we are far from the truth, when we listen at home.

I got a recording studio at home, but my music listening room colours the sound, & thats how i like my music. Very very few systems can reproduce mid range sounds. Get this right & almost everything will fall into place.

If the the midrange of a system sounds thin or clinical i would get out that room faster than usain bolt.

Simple test:

1 Got a bass player to play bass through Studio active monitors Sounded like a bass Guitar.

2 Played same bass through HIfi system in same treated room, in this case several amps. All the amps sounded dry & lifeless.

The combination of different components is just hard to judge & also the room acoustic been taken into account.

Less always sounds better.

I think most systems these day are very clinical sounding.

If people only took the time out to listen to a pair of active monitors & hear what they are missing. Not only that, it also cures the problem of room acoustics.

I just wish most people will not be folowers but doers. SIMPLES!!

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a small home studio too and bass guitar sounds great through my ESI nEar 05 active monitors. Never really considered using these for hifi instead of the Lektors. My Rotel amp has pre-outs so might give them a go.

A

Anonymous

danrv said:
I have a small home studio too and bass guitar sounds great through my ESI nEar 05 active monitors. Never really considered using these for hifi instead of the Lektors. My Rotel amp has pre-outs so might give them a go.

Don't plug your monitors directly into the outs if that's what you mean.

A

Anonymous

danrv said:
Aren't the pre-outs for connection to a power amplifier?
I double checked and connecting an active signal to an active speaker could fry it. You could put a mixer inbetween. ;)

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
teejuk said:
danrv said:
Aren't the pre-outs for connection to a power amplifier?
I double checked and connecting an active signal to an active speaker could fry it. You could put a mixer inbetween. ;)

eh? using a pre amp with active speakers could fry it? you sure about that?

A

Anonymous

Yes i'm wrong. So i called RS and they said it is fine, the pre-out is line level. I think the info i'm getting is based on an active preamp. Sorry for any confusion, I didn't want you to do damage to your monitors.

A

Anonymous

Native_bon said:
If ur pre amp has got volume control then its safe to use with your active speakers.

Yep, connected up one monitor and no explosions. :grin:

A

Anonymous

mykspence said:
teejuk said:
I think the info i'm getting is based on an active preamp.

You're still confusing me (it's not difficult), what's an active preamp?

An amp that's sending voltage or power to the connected device like a guitar amp. I guess it would be akin to connecting the monitor to the hifi amps main outputs. The pre-out is line level so it's all good, the only issue might be gain as hifi is -10db, i had to turn my monitors all the way up to get a decent level which also introduced a lot of noise...

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
Any preamp will drive any active speaker. It is the same as a preamp driving a power amp.

Yes, that's always been my take on the preamp thing. Never realised that there was a preamp that had more power as has been suggested by teejuk.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts