Acoustic Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Since I'm currently very happy with my system, I've turned my attention to my listening room. Yesterday I ordered 6 (2' x 2') acoustic panels to put on the walls, just to prevent unwanted sound reflection. I'll post some pics when I have them up. I don't have a lot of wall space available for panels. 4 of them will go on a side wall and 2 will go behind the speakers. The wall behind the listening seat is all bookcase, so nothing can go there.

But the point of this post is that since I've been looking into buying these panels, I've been researching what others have done. A good source is audiogon which has a huge picture library of people's systems. Looking at these, it's obvious that there is not much consensus on how to approach room acoustics. I can't believe how many people have very expensive systems and then place their speakers 4 inches from the rear wall or jammed in a nook with furniture or walls very close. Some of these people engage expensive and questionable tweaks like cable risers yet seemingly ignore speaker placement...

And there are also some very epensive systems with no acoustic damping attempted on the room. The people that do have them, it's all over the map where they put the panels or what kind they use.

A

Anonymous

An interesting site to look at is the Acoustic Sciences corp website. They make all sorts of room acoustic materials but are mostly famous for their Tube Traps. I had a room that suffered a major bass problem so I sent an email off to the company to see what they recommended. They asked me to send a drawing of my room and they advised me what parts to buy and where to put them in the room. I ended up ordering a few of their Tube traps just to see if they worked. They were very expensive and space consuming. The couple of traps I bought only had a small effect. I obviously needed to do exactly as they had advised. The only problem being I would have been skint with nowhere to sit!!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I hear ya. It's very confusing and overwhelming when you start searching the internet for these products and yes, some manufacturers have very expensive products. I'm not going to install anything that is an eyesore regardless of sound improvements, but a few panels on the walls will look nice and are bound to have some improvement. The place I purchased from has pretty reasonable prices. Also, they offer the ability to have an image of your choice printed on the fabric so it will look like wall art.

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
A very interesting thread. After upgrading my system I have turned my attention to my room layout. However the room has wooden floors with painted walls.

I have put an old rug on the floor to dampen the sound reflections but don't know what practically I can add to this. Except, when I listen to music I often paint. (a great combination with a glass of wine) on the wall behind me where I listen is large number of paintings. SO my question is if I pack the canvass with soft material would this dampen the sound?

A crazy idea I know but is it worth a try.

Ill get mi coat now

A

Anonymous

Yes I have been thinking of doing something similar. This must be a very effective way to improve our room acoustics.

I found this product on B&Q website- Jablite Flooring Insulation Polyboard White 25mm - Do you think this could a similar job when covered with a suitable cloth material?

Would be most interested to hear what you think when yours is set up.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Waiting for some wag - not hindered by this site's restrictions re Safari/OS X - to post a still from The Man Who Fell to Earth, depicting the interior of TJN's space craft...

(Actually, the cover of Bowie's Station to Station would do...)

A

Anonymous

another alternative is diy version of panels. i have recently built 6 1200x600 and 2 smaller ones. by placing them around room the soundstage, bass response and overall sound improved. costwise it was a lot less then similar size art panel from a local company.

A

Anonymous

a few years back, I had a short stint as a design contractor for a company that designed and commisioned and fitted auditoriums for large companies and hotels

can say that these panels do work, and make a huge difference in the sound quality ... I worked a lot 'on site' so heard what the sound was like before installing the panels aswell as after

I would love to have my listening room sorted sometime but would not attempt to place these panels without expert assistance as they don't come cheap

A

Anonymous

Hi jaxwired

Very interested to hear about your acoustic panels and if you feel that the effort and outlay is warrented. Did you buy them on the web?

Do you or any others reading this thread know what material is required to make it 'acousticallyl effective'?

I asked about a flooring insulation polyboard in my other thread which I was thinking of using in a DIY project but if it requires a material which is specific to sound waves then I guess I would probably be wasting my time!

Any thoughts?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
this is the cheapest i have found in the uk for acoustic panels: http://www.gikacoustics.co.uk/

the problem with using paintings for acoustic panels is that the high frequency stuff will reflect back from the paint and canvas, so absorption would be low. i'm pretty sure with some googling a suitable material and paint/ink could be found.

jaxwired:

Since I'm currently very happy with my system, I've turned my attention to my listening room. Yesterday I ordered 6 (2' x 2') acoustic panels to put on the walls, just to prevent unwanted sound reflection. I'll post some pics when I have them up. I don't have a lot of wall space available for panels. 4 of them will go on a side wall and 2 will go behind the speakers. The wall behind the listening seat is all bookcase, so nothing can go there.

But the point of this post is that since I've been looking into buying these panels, I've been researching what others have done. A good source is audiogon which has a huge picture library of people's systems. Looking at these, it's obvious that there is not much consensus on how to approach room acoustics. I can't believe how many people have very expensive systems and then place their speakers 4 inches from the rear wall or jammed in a nook with furniture or walls very close. Some of these people engage expensive and questionable tweaks like cable risers yet seemingly ignore speaker placement...

And there are also some very epensive systems with no acoustic damping attempted on the room. The people that do have them, it's all over the map where they put the panels or what kind they use.

((Oh dear, the penguin's goin to throw a spanner in the works))

Isn't it a case of someone else jumping on the audio "bandwagon"? Slap some wallpaper on, throw rugs down, allied with furniture, it'll do the job better and make it feel more homely as opposed to a demonstartion room. Probably save you a few bob to boot.

Reactions: elenawayne

Gray

The polyester fiber sound-absorbing panel board is a range of lightweight semi-rigid panel that provide excellent sound absorption. The polyester sound panel is made of safe and friendly polyester. It’s not only decorative panel, but also acoustic sound panels for walls and acoustic fixable backing for fabric wrapping and stretch fabric acoustic systems, ideal for high performance absorption panel systems.
Your advert might have worked 11 years ago, at the time of the this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts