Accuphase E-270 or Luxman L-505uX Integrated amps?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My thoughts would be:

- All things being equal, I think I'd go with Accuphase, if I was buying blind.

- The ideal, as has been said, is try them with your kit.

- If one is available with a good saving (ie. Open Box or Ex-Dem), then go for that.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I would be buying blind (or is that deaf). No dealers around here. I'm only going by reviews, message boards like this, and youtube videos.

In Luxmans favor it's $500 cheaper and has a phono MM/MC included. In Accuphase's favor it uses MOSFET devices (something I prefer) usally gives a smoother tube like sound from my experience and it looks like the build quality might be just a touch better, maybe?

Right now I have Harbeth P3ESR's. I may be changing over to some Sonus Faber Olympia 1's. My turntable will also be upgraded soon as well from a Rega RP40 to perhaps an Acoustic Signature.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Happy_Listener said:
I would be buying blind (or is that deaf). No dealers around here. I'm only going by reviews, message boards like this, and youtube videos.

In Luxmans favor it's $500 cheaper and has a phono MM/MC included. In Accuphase's favor it uses MOSFET devices (something I prefer) usally gives a smoother tube like sound from my experience and it looks like the build quality might be just a touch better, maybe?

Right now I have Harbeth P3ESR's. I may be changing over to some Sonus Faber Olympia 1's. My turntable will also be upgraded soon as well from a Rega RP40 to perhaps an Acoustic Signature.

FWIW (which probably isn't much), If I needed a Phono Stage, I think I'd pocket the saving and go for the Luxman....I don't think a lack of smoothness will be a problem, and the build quality should prove excellent.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I haven't really found any of the new luxmans to be smooth. The 505 is not that smooth sounding but dont let those words put you off.

It's a good amp if you have other bits setup good

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I think I decided to go for the Accuphase. That is if I can find a bit of a discount on it. Accuphase offers what's supposed to be good phono card too for it. I can buy one of these cards used for about $600.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Happy_Listener said:

The pairing of Accuphase and Harbeth is a magical sound... any reason why you're thinking of changing to SF Olympica 1? I have heard that model and wasn't at all impressed, but of course that's just my opinion. If you have the room and budget, when the time comes, perhaps go up the range of Harbeth.

The Class A models of Accuphase will have a warmer SQ, but the E550, E560, or the E600 are very expensive... The E270 is A/B and whilst not as warm as the Class A models, I wouldn't describe it as cold and analytical, somewhere in the middle, just right in fact and of course you do have tone controls.

I bought my first Accuphase, the E350 blind which I would never normally do, butfrom all I read, I had a strong hunch it would be a good buy and I wasn't disappointed.

To be honest, which ever one of the brands you choose, I'm sure you will be very happy.

Be sure to keep us updated.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Mac is right about Accuphase pairing well with Harbeths - I can testify to the synergy as I use the two in one of my systems and I believe it's recommended over on the Harbeth User Group.

That said, I've not listened to Luxman amps.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your insights and opnions. I don't expect it to be warm and cuddly like a tube amp, but as long as the Accuphase E-270 isn't too bright or over-emphasize sibilance I should be happy.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Happy_Listener said:
.....but as long as the Accuphase E-270 isn't too bright or over-emphasize sibilance I should be happy.

It absolutely shouldn't....and certainly not through the Harbeths.

You lucky, lucky person. Not heard either but that wouldn't stop me from choosing any of those two.

I know someone who has a more flagship Luxman (can't remember the model) and he's paired it with Wilson Benesch Discovery standmounts. Given the money he's invested I doubt the combo would sound like 'pup'.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Happy Listener, are there not any Accuphase or Pioneer Exclusive or Sony ES amps (etc etc etc) on ebay that you fancy?

They are, after all pleasantly over-engineered, built to last amplifiers that make sound used purchases.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts