Accessorize my new Pana 37X80B

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just purchased this beast (pick up on Tuesday to save delivery charge) and now need to get some extras . I do not have Sky or a Blue ray player so it will mostly be used for 360/Wii action , SD tv and my old Panasonic DVD recorder. Any advice on which HDMI cable to get ? Also how will DVD's look ? -will i need a new player that upscales? I would like to record from the digi tuner -is this possible with my current Panasonic DMR -ES10 ? And finaly-sound . can i do without seperate speakers? can't realy afford them. So many questions ! cheers

A

Anonymous

Well for starters you have made an excellent choice in TV. I was going to go down the route of having no extra speakers and for the first few days I thought I would manage. Yes the sound is okay but having watched a few DVDs I find that the speakers are buzzing intermittently and though my OH cannot hear this I can, so I am gonna have to purchase some surround sound. SD tv is brilliant and I have no problems with the sound of normal television unless we want it that little bit louder and then the speakers start struggling. Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

cheers . i'll probably hook tv up to my stereo amp for film viewing then.
think i'm gonna go for a PS3 when i can afford it for DVD viewing .

A

Anonymous

I have just bought the 42" version of this tv, panny TH-42PX80B. I have the same dilema 'what sound to use'. I currently have the:

panny DMREX75 HDD/DVD Recorder http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=3576 which has optical out!

Plus an old sony DAV-S300 5.1 surround system http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews718.html which I didn't think had optical in but on this link the first thread states that it does (strange) I might be wrong?

If the S300 has optical in I will use this for sound from my DMREX75 dvd player whilst HDMI or RGB to the TV for picture only, and just the standard Line out jacks from my SD Sky box to the S300 5.1 system.

If anyone has any other ideas I would appreciate it!?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="rockmanrock"]cheers . i'll probably hook tv up to my stereo amp for film viewing then. think i'm gonna go for a PS3 when i can afford it for DVD viewing .[/quote]

Looks like this is a common concern - I'm facing similar issues myself. Just bought this TV after reading all the +ve comments, and got a PS3 whilst I was at it! I have a Virgin V-box (not HD) and an old DVD-Recorder (no HDMI). Presumably these two will have to go into the TV on an RGB Scart, and the PS3 using HDMI. I wanted to get a sound system but can't have wires everywhere, therefore 2.1 or soundbar (or wireless 5.1 / 7.1 if it exists??). Does anyone have a recommendation? (£200 - £300 max) And do these make use of all the HD audio technology (DTS-HD MA etc) or does that only make a difference if you've got 7.1 surround?

Plus can anyone tell me how on earth I should connect all these things? I'm a bit clueless on this as you can tell!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="rockmanrock"]Just purchased this beast (pick up on Tuesday to save delivery charge)[/quote]

I don't know whether you know this or not but I collected my plasma yesterday and was told that it had to be kept upright at all times? but apparently Lcd's are ok to lay down.

Lucky that they told me as I would have lay it down in the back of my car!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
For a 2.1 system at £300, I'd take a serious look at this. Trouble is, no idea how it sounds. As Clare says in this forum, a previous Onkyo system's speakers weren't too good. If this is a problem, they may release it without the speakers though (as they've done with their Onkyo DR-S501 system).

John Duncan

[quote user="Silentknight"]
[quote user="rockmanrock"]Just purchased this beast (pick up on Tuesday to save delivery charge)[/quote]

I don't know whether you know this or not but I collected my plasma yesterday and was told that it had to be kept upright at all times? but apparently Lcd's are ok to lay down.

Lucky that they told me as I would have lay it down in the back of my car!

[/quote]

Yup, v important.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]For a 2.1 system at £300, I'd take a serious look at this. Trouble is, no idea how it sounds. As Clare says in this forum, a previous Onkyo system's speakers weren't too good. If this is a problem, they may release it without the speakers though (as they've done with their Onkyo DR-S501 system).[/quote]

Thanks Professor - Always good to know you're getting sound advice (excuse the pun), and this looks very interesting. I'll try to live with the Panny 37PX80's own speakers until this is onsale and reviewed, but do you (or anyone else) have any advice on how to connect up my various other bits of AV kit? I've got a Virgin SD box (Scart only) and an old DVD Recorder (again Scart only), and have a PS3 on order. Can I link these all up to the TV, so that I can record from the Virgin box onto DVD, or onto the PS3 hard drive, and from the PS3 hard drive onto DVD?

Having taken ages to upgrade the TV, I realise I have no idea how to connect it all properly!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
You won't be able to hook anything up to the PS3 to record to it's hard drive I'm afraid. You may well be able to hook the Virgin box to the DVD recorder to record stuff to DVD though. What's the model of the DVD recorder?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]You won't be able to hook anything up to the PS3 to record to it's hard drive I'm afraid. You may well be able to hook the Virgin box to the DVD recorder to record stuff to DVD though. What's the model of the DVD recorder?[/quote]

Not sure what the model is, but it's one of those old cheap Goodman's units (cost about £70 a couple of years ago). I've never actually been able to record to it from Virgin in the past, but suspect that had something to do with the Scart switching box I used to use with my old TV - some dodgy 20 inch 4:3 unit that belonged to my landlord (thank God I'm getting rid of that - I'll be able to see the football when it's at the edge of the widescreen now!).

I'm almost glad about not being able to use the PS3 as a PVR - that'll give me an excuse to beg the missus to upgrade to the V+ box with its hard drive and HD capabilities! Do you know if it's possible to convert PVR recordings onto DVD - or is this not something that I would ever be likely to do (I've never had a PVR before)?

A

Anonymous

In general, DVD recorders will have a scart input, so in theory most things that you can connect up to it via the scart should record to it. It's just a case of selecting the right AV channel on your DVD. That's my understanding of it anyway. I think if you get a PVR with twin scarts, you can have one going to the TV, then one to your DVD recorder so you can record like that. Not sure how it works with Virgin but I guess it'd be a similar concept.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, my first post was slightly misleading - there is something coming out called PlayTV (I think it is) which will turn your PS3 into a PVR. My original post meant you wouldn't be able to hook anything you already had e.g. Virgin box, TV, DVD recorder etc. into the PS3. Not sure when PlayTV will be out but I'm sure there'll be a news item here when it does get released.

On the DVD recorder, it depends what inputs it has. How many Scart sockets does it have? If two, it's likely you can hook the Virgin box into this, then run the DVD recorder into the telly and you should then be able to record from Virgin to DVD. It's hard to tell without knowing exactly what model though. An easier bet would definitely be to get an all in one HDD / DVD recorder like the Panasonic models. This will let you use it as a Freeview PVR, recording on to the HDD. You can then archive programs from the HDD on to DVD as and when you wish (editing them first to take out the adverts etc.). Finally, you should be able to hook the Virgin box to this as well and record stuff from Virgin onto DVD as well.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for this - really helpful. It's got enough sockets to connect it all up as you suggest, so I'll give it a whirl. If it doesn't work it'll give me another excuse to do some (probably long-winded) research into other options - fortunately the Panny 37" plasma is such good value I might be able to afford something sooner rather than later.

By the way professor - can't help noticing that you are clearly the AV fountain of knowledge - you've saved me from the endlessly conflicting advice you only get from spotty urchins in Curry's / Comet. I can see why these forums can become addictive.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="chipshopshippers"]By the way professor - can't help noticing that you are clearly the AV fountain of knowledge[/quote]
Thanks, but I wouldn't go that far! I've been tinkering with AV and hi-fi since my teens, but I've learnt a lot since signing up to these forums myself!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts