Absolute beginner eager for advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello audiophiles,

I'm all new to hi-fi and just started reading into the topic. After minor brain haemorrhage when I browsed the stereophile webpages, a friend was kind enough to direct me towards somewhat lighter literature here.

Unfortunately, I'm a (poor) student, so my budget is limited (one of the reasons why stereophile gave me headaches). Thus I decided I should start research well before purchase.

My plan is to hook a DAC up to my PC and use the digital out of my onboard sound-chip (I believe that is SPDIF). I'm currently eyeing the Beresford TC-7510, but couldn't find anything on eBay yet. Is there a big difference to the TC-7520, or are the essentially identical besides the USB-port?

As for the integrated amplifier, I'm almost clueless. The CA 340A seems to match my needs (well, actually I don't know my needs quite yet, since I have no speakers). Of course, I'd be more than happy to fetch something off eBay for cheap - any suggestions?

Speakers are the usual suspects from the "well-below-£200" class.
  • Q 2010
  • MS 902i
  • CA S30
  • Tannoy F1
I briefly browsed eBay for speakers as well and there seem to be quite a few B&W DM602 sales. Are these any good?

I'd be happy for all kind of input and criticism. The plan is to get the most out of as little money as possible.

Many thanks and toddle-pip,

Mike

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I own a pair of 602 S3 (Series 3, there are also S1 & S2s, S3s are the best.
emotion-4.gif
)

They originally retailed at £300 and they are great speakers. If you're happy to purchase second hand I'd recommend them without reservation (Also check out 601s, which are a bit smaller)

A

Anonymous

There's a few people on here that know a LOT about second hand kit. I'm sure they'll be along shortly to give you some good value recommendations for excellent older kit.

Marco.

Edit: Beat me to it. :)

A

Anonymous

I'm impressed. I don't think I ever got such a quick forum response. Kudos guys!

Regarding the B&W: there are a 602s, 601s in varous series available. Are there big differences between the series?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Cistron:
Is there a big difference to the TC-7520, or are the essentially identical besides the USB-port?

Stan would claim there is a significant difference between the two. From your perspective, the main difference is the ability to roll opamps with the TC-7520. You can modd the 7510 (see my useful threads in my signature) but you need to be fairly brave to do it.

However, I think if you're strapped for cash the 7510 would be the best way to go. It's a good bit of kit for very little money.

A

Anonymous

Thanks!

I have this feeling though that my hi-fi DIY work will be several years in the future.

A

Anonymous

is the ability to roll opamps with the TC-7520.

Can someone kindly explain what this means?

A

Anonymous

help?

I will probably order the Beresford DAC very soon and use it as a headphone amp for the time being.

I'd still be very grateful for comments on which used speakers and integrated amps would be a good deal.

T

the record spot

You don't really say what kind of music you like, or what kind of sound you like to hear (as opposed to sounds). As in, you might like rock, but you don;t necessarily want slam-bam, but a more analytical and detailed sound. On the other hand, you might want a big beefy dynamic presentation of the music.

If you're on a tight budget, as many are just now, and scouring Ebay, then there's stack of good amps in there just now. I'd also cast an eye over at the Steve's HiFi website, also Big Ears Audio who, although full of typically higher end stuff, has the odd cheaper item in. Take a look at the Greenhome Electronics pages (they have two sites but this is all detailed on their home page) as they do good stock, very well priced and serviced.

Personally, I have a lot of time for the Sansui n17 series amps (with "n" being the prefix number). Out around the late 1970s, I picked my current amp (Sansui AU-217) up off Ebay a month or two back for £33 delivered, serviced and am delighted with it. Terrific all rounder and highly recommended. Speaker-wise, you have a bit more checking to do in terms of the condition, age and material deterioration to sometimes consider, but I'd point you towards the Mission 75 series of amps (regular visitors can now start their yawns...) as a good used buy. The 751 standmounter and 752 floorstander particularly are worth checking out, often come up on Ebay and given their original cost (£300 and £550-600 respectively) are easily found in good condition.

Other suggestions abound and personal preference obviously also comes into it, so do try and read up on what's out there a bit to get an idea for what you're aiming for.

If you're pushed for space, Richer Sounds are doing the Wharfedale 9.0 speaker for £49.99, and the recently superceded 9.1 for a whisker off £100, both new.

I'm sure more folk will be around with their suggestions soon - happy hunting!

A

Anonymous

I'd go down the Wharfdale route for speakers at this price, in terms of bang for buck, 9.0s at £50 is hard to beat, but still, they rule the roost if you stretch to £200 with the 10.1s, which should last a while if and when you move a step up, as would the Beresford incidently. When it comes to amps, second hand at this price point is a good way to go, the usual suspects from Sansui and Pioneer, which others will be able to say much more about than me, are a great way to go.

A

Anonymous

My suggestions for 2nd hand gear:

I would first buy a used amp then build the rest of the system around that ...

you will get many suggestions, but here are a few of my suggestions for used Pioneer amps up to £200:

1st choice would be a Pioneer A300R precision (as modified by Tom Evans) ... expect to pay up to £200 if not more as they are becoming rare (Tom Evans no longer does the mods)

2nd choice would be a Pioneer A400 GTE (modified by Tom Evans) ... expect to pay up to £180 (the A300R precision is less powerfull than the A400 GTE but sounds better and has a better soundstage than the 400 GTE according to experts)

3rd choice: Pioneer A400 (standard version) ... expect to pay between £70 to £130 for a good one)

older Sansui, Kenwood and Yamaha are also very very good (I fancy the old Yamaha A-1 and is very good value) aswell as the Harmon Kardon HK1400 which cost £400 in the 1980's ... Luxman is good but hard to find a bargain nowadays

newer amps such as the musical fidelity and Arcam, Nad and Rotel Marantz etc are all very good

so get an amp first, but make a shortlist and search google before buying ... and if buying 2nd hand make sure that the amp works properly before buying/bidding

once you have the amp, it then becomes easier to build up the rest of the system

A

Anonymous

the record spot:You don't really say what kind of music
you like, or what kind of sound you like to hear (as opposed to
sounds). As in, you might like rock, but you don;t necessarily want
slam-bam, but a more analytical and detailed sound. On the other hand,
you might want a big beefy dynamic presentation of the music.This might be a bit difficult. I'm listening to almost everything reaching from pop, over heavy metal to classical. I suppose better dynamics and sound definition are most easily seen as an improvement?

If you're on a tight budget, as many are just now, and scouring Ebay,
then there's stack of good amps in there just now. I'd also cast an eye
over at the Steve's HiFi website, also Big Ears Audio who, although
full of typically higher end stuff, has the odd cheaper item in. Take a
look at the Greenhome Electronics pages (they have two sites but this
is all detailed on their home page) as they do good stock, very well
priced and serviced.I'll have a look at these, thanks.

Personally, I have a lot of time for the Sansui
n17 series amps (with "n" being the prefix number). Out around the late
1970s, I picked my current amp (Sansui AU-217) up off Ebay a month or
two back for £33 delivered, serviced and am delighted with it. Terrific
all rounder and highly recommended.I've read your thread. Looks like the definition of a bargain. I've been holding my eyes open for something similar.

Speaker-wise, you have a bit more
checking to do in terms of the condition, age and material
deterioration to sometimes consider, but I'd point you towards the
Mission 75 series of amps (regular visitors can now start their
yawns...) as a good used buy. The 751 standmounter and 752 floorstander
particularly are worth checking out, often come up on Ebay and given
their original cost (£300 and £550-600 respectively) are easily found
in good condition.
Other suggestions abound and personal preference obviously also comes
into it, so do try and read up on what's out there a bit to get an idea
for what you're aiming for. If you're pushed for space, Richer Sounds
are doing the Wharfedale 9.0 speaker for £49.99, and the recently
superceded 9.1 for a whisker off £100, both new. I'm sure more folk
will be around with their suggestions soon - happy hunting!I think floorstanders will be a bit impractical, due to size. Is there much difference between 9.0 and 9.1?

dim_span:My suggestions for 2nd hand gear:

I would first buy a used amp then build the rest of the system around that ...Why this way round?

you will get many suggestions, but here are a few of my suggestions for used Pioneer amps up to £200:

1st choice would be a Pioneer A300R precision (as modified by Tom Evans) ... expect to pay up to £200 if not more as they are becoming rare (Tom Evans no longer does the mods)

2nd choice would be a Pioneer A400 GTE (modified by Tom Evans) ... expect to pay up to £180 (the A300R precision is less powerfull than the A400 GTE but sounds better and has a better soundstage than the 400 GTE according to experts)

3rd choice: Pioneer A400 (standard version) ... expect to pay between £70 to £130 for a good one)

older Sansui, Kenwood and Yamaha are also very very good (I fancy the old Yamaha A-1 and is very good value) aswell as the Harmon Kardon HK1400 which cost £400 in the 1980's ... Luxman is good but hard to find a bargain nowadays

newer amps such as the musical fidelity and Arcam, Nad and Rotel Marantz etc are all very good

so get an amp first, but make a shortlist and search google before buying ... and if buying 2nd hand make sure that the amp works properly before buying/bidding

once you have the amp, it then becomes easier to build up the rest of the systemWow, thanks. Who's Tom Evans?

A

Anonymous

I thought I should post some feedback on my little budget HiFi project.

In the end I went for things that were available:

* CA 340A for a mere £47 pick-up off eBay, including the receipt from Februrary. Auditioned at the guy's place and it sounded fine, though he had some MS floorstanders I didn't recognise.

* As recommended, Mission 751 speakers for £72 delievered, off eBay as well. Apparently, they've been rewired internally with some silver Chord cables.

* CA silver speaker cables from RicherSounds round the corner for £20.

One thing missing is the DAC, but people don't tend to sell lots of these (cheaply). So currently, the amp is simply attached to my Soundblaster Live, which doesn't sound too bad (at least to my ears).

Other thing I'd want are speaker stands. I though about using a few breeze blocks, but my local Homebase is extremely lousy. (In fact, they are so lousy, they charge £6 for a 1.2m metal clothes rail, pffff)

So overall ~£150 spent. I'm more than happy with that!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts