Abrahamsen V.20-Upgrade

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Well its been 5 days since my V.20 Amp's been back from having the upgrade and well what can i say the V.20 in my eyes is an absolute steel having sounding better than my old amp from a year ago before i was forced to sell all my hifi due a redundency (Roksan Caspian M2). so at £699 this amp will stomp on any amp upto £2000 in my eyes.

Then i had the itch to have the amp upgraded to the UP and well when it returned i couldnt wait to get it fired up and get some serious play and well im not gonna lie i was gutted it sounded bloody awful way to bassy uninvolving bland OMG i thought what have i done i kept thinking to myself as i was listening to more and more music idiot "if aint broken don't " motto. sad.

5days later after a tweek with the speakers bringing them forward and closer only by a few inches its a complete revolation now im no expert but this amp has finally settled down the bass is very strong but deep controlled and well detailed and fast.

Midrange is to die for i can hear every little pluck of a guitar,harp,violin, voices well its like having the artist in the room playing right in front of you, you could almost touch them when your eyes are closed (weird i know)

Top end is as smooth as ever absolute no harshnes shrill even when you play loud and trust me this amp will go loud without even braking out a sweat.

Now i know ive got budget speakers but theyre sounding totally more like a pair off speakers sounding twice if not three times there price.

A few tracks i always play to hear how a my hifi sounds.

Japan: Ghosts it sounds so good even though its 30 years plus David sylvian voice is a bewt.

Howard Jones : hide and seek just envolves you with its earry sound wow.

Bronski beat: Small town boy (Akoustic mix) very airy the guitar is so smooth the whole track is soo mellow i just love it.

So to conclude for now this amp is trully an absolute bargain i can see why certain forum members have put this on par with amp's costing way more its that good.

Last but not least a massive thanks to Colin (I Q Speakers) you certainally know what your talikng about.

Cheers Bud.

I guess Hegel's H160 @ £2350 can breathe a sigh of relief
wink_smile.gif
*biggrin*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
I guess Hegel's H160 @ £2350 can breathe a sigh of relief *biggrin*

Interestingly, I just read that Schmegel voiced their new mono blocks to sound warmer.

Can we take that as admitting that their integrated amplifiers may sound a touch dry? :)

drummerman said:
MUSICRAFT said:

Interestingly, I just read that Schmegel voiced their new mono blocks to sound warmer.

Can we take that as admitting that their integrated amplifiers may sound a touch dry? :)

Hi drummerman

Where have you read that please? Btw, thanks to you and Jota180 for highlighting Hegel's new best friend on Google *biggrin* which I wasn't aware of until yesterday *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
MUSICRAFT said:
I guess Hegel's H160 @ £2350 can breathe a sigh of relief   *biggrin*

Can we take that as admitting that their integrated amplifiers may sound a touch dry?  :)

The new h160 sounds better than the old h300 apart from absolute power.

The h360 sounds almost as good as the £10 000 mono blocks (or comes close)

Id read into that they are bringing out newer version of the monoblocks to boost performance back to normality using sound engine 2, not that they voiced the new intergrated range wrong.

SteveR750

drummerman said:
MUSICRAFT said:

No, I don't think dry is correct. Neutral and loud. Where did you read this? I hope it's not true....

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Neutral generally comes off as 'dry' and 'digital' to people who prefer 'warm' and 'bloom'.

We can never know if a manufacturer has added an extra stray resistor or capacitor somewhere to reduce bass in order to give the false impression of more detail and resolution, or ump the bass to make it sound more powerfull. Anyone who has passed puberty in this hobby knows that different and not better is what sells. Often worse comes off as better, or that word "upgrade" we like to use so much. Everything is subjective, there are no standards, yet we are upgrading things, somehow. *mosking*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts