Aaaah! Nice, but ah poo! 😭

• Thread starter Deleted member 160668
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 160668

So, today my beloved Harbeth M30's I had for sale finally got picked up... Absolutely phenomenal speakers... Ridiculously good!

I'm currently having a lot of works done to my house and so, consequently, all my kit is in storage and I got out the Harbies to take them to the buyers house. We stuck them on the end of a nice MF amp to check they worked (of course they did, minties like-new, and divine they sounded), then proceeded to listen to some tunes...

Gosh, about a half tune in and I'm majorly regretting why I sold these!!! Aaaah!!! Bloody amazing they sounded!!! Different room, different amp and I've been confined to (admittedly very good) headphones, which is although great, just not the same...

Alas, off to a new home the Harbeth badboys went. And they sounded phenomenal. For 11 year old speakers, I've listened to much stuff up to about £6k now currently available in hifi stores and the best imo, or my personal favourite, were the Harbeth C7 XD at nearly £4k. These were 98% of that, mindblowingly good, but for 1/3 of the cash.

Anyway, don't knock top notch "old" kit peeps... These 11 year old beasts, would absolutely beast many "current" things on offer. For real.

Now roll the end of my house renovations, so I may set back up my new big badboys. My upgrade to the Harbeths, which replaced these.

WayneKerr

To be honest I was considering purchasing your M30's a few weeks ago but the little P3's in my lounge sound so damned good I wondered if anything could sound any better so I pondered too long. Would have been good to hear them but I am in no way sad that I missed out. Another time maybe, if not I'm still happy :)

D

Deleted member 160668

This will be a hifi regret... I already know that...

They were utterly, ridiculously, seriously, good! And know that's me speaking they truth... as they are already now sold...

It's hard to put into words how something sounds when it utterly amazes you... Especially when you are wanting to move them on, without sounding like a ****, and just spouting for the sake of it and the sale...

Not me. They are sold. I'm already kicking myself. Minties.

It will cost me £4k to buy current Harbs to replicate that. Plus stands.

Anyway, original point was, don't knock the top notch older kit.

Ps: above comment, I'd always be up for a listen pre-buy. But you've got some already. These are just bigger and badder-boy versions of yours 😉.

D

Deleted member 160668

Also, I can say it now, but @plastic penguin you utterly ballsed up not taking a listen in your quest. Especially as you already listened to and loved Harbies. And these had stands etc.. anyways, just my opinion...

Hope the Dali's arrive soon.

Peace ✌

Reactions: WayneKerr

WayneKerr

Harbeth's just have a quality which I adore, a bit expensive new but utterly outstanding to my ears in my room. They never cease to amaze me and have just the right amount of bass where I have them positioned, but it's the mids that kill me every time, a stunning sound in every way.

Maybe I'll pounce a bit quicker in the future :)

Hope your new speakers are a step-up as they have replaced some marvellous speakers (y)

D

Deleted member 160668

Also, I can say it now, but @plastic penguin you utterly ballsed up not taking a listen in your quest. Especially as you already listened to and loved Harbies. And these had stands etc.. anyways, just my opinion...

Peace ✌
Nah. Really like the P3s. One of the best small monitors but prefer the sound of the Argon 1s. The Dalis take it another step up.

Peace ✌
Okay, can't disagree it probably was a mistake not to purchase your speakers. But I have no regrets as the TB2s are fabulous in their own right. Nothing to dislike but the Dalis give me something different.

It's like I mentioned to you about buying the 1st generation Leema Pulse. You've probably never heard the likes between the 1-2k price bracket.

It has very taut bass. Some amps in that region has that. The Pulse has fabulous stereo imaging. Some amps have that also. It's very neutral, but regardless of source and speakers it never sounds sterile. Some integrated amps have that. Has bags of musicality. Some amps have that too. Detail and definition. Some amps have those qualities.

But very few I've heard in that price bracket has all those qualities. Despite being very neutral it has the knack of sounding cozy, the sound hugs you. It first came out in 2008 but I've yet heard a modern amp that matches. Add in a very good switchable phono stage, outs for a power amp or a sub and it was groundbreaking in it's time.

It was almost like Lee & Mallory said we've produced award winning high end amps, let's throw the kitchen sink at a more affordable integrated.

Perhaps some people would prefer a little colour to the presentation, but that's the only meaningful fault I can guess at.

It now can be picked up for £400 it has to be an amp you must hear before you die.

Back on topic, do you now regret buying the ARTs?

The P3s are still among my fav small standmounts, but £2600 (local dealer cost) to £1300 for the Argon 1s, it's a no-brainer. Perhaps if both were priced at £1300, the little Harbeths might just edge it. This is all conjecture.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 160668

Okay, can't disagree it probably was a mistake not to purchase your speakers. But I have no regrets as the TB2s are fabulous in their own right. Nothing to dislike but the Dalis give me something different.

It's like I mentioned to you about buying the 1st generation Leema Pulse. You've probably never heard the likes between the 1-2k price bracket.

It has very taut bass. Some amps in that region has that. The Pulse has fabulous stereo imaging. Some amps have that also. It's very neutral, but regardless of source and speakers it never sounds sterile. Some integrated amps have that. Has bags of musicality. Some amps have that too. Detail and definition. Some amps have those qualities.

But very few I've heard in that price bracket has all those qualities. Despite being very neutral it has the knack of sounding cozy, the sound hugs you. It first came out in 2008 but I've yet heard a modern amp that matches. Add in a very good switchable phono stage, outs for a power amp or a sub and it was groundbreaking in it's time.

It was almost like Lee & Mallory said we've produced award winning high end amps, let's throw the kitchen sink at a more affordable integrated.

Perhaps some people would prefer a little colour to the presentation, but that's the only meaningful fault I can guess at.

It now can be picked up for £400 it has to be an amp you must hear before you die.

Back on topic, do you now regret buying the ARTs?

The P3s are still among my fav small standmounts, but £2600 (local dealer cost) to £1300 for the Argon 1s, it's a no-brainer. Perhaps if both were priced at £1300, the little Harbeths might just edge it. This is all conjecture.
When I have a functioning house again and kit set up if I see a decent priced Leema I probably might take a punt on it.

As to regretting the ART's. Noooo, absolutely not. The Harbies were amazing speakers. These are next level again (which you'd expect as they are so much bigger and also considerably more expensive). These are true end-gamers and I struggle to see where I'd go next as an upgrade. Not to mention I can't afford an upgrade!

I have bought some IsoAcoustic Gaia feet ready for them, for when I put them back my living room.

I've also gone full audiophile and have specced in a dedicated mains supply for all my kit as we're about to move out temporarily while we have a whole house rewire.

The ART's are staying. Likely for a long long time ♥

D

Deleted member 160668

Finally, I have reached a point where there is nothing in my kit I want to change now.

famous last words I know.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts