A very different hifi system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

EX66_pair_drama-39ab96aa78030289f3631c4c0fdd49b9.jpg
I was listening to my system today at about 10 o clock position and noted a peak of 108 decibels. The average level at that position is about 85-90 decibels which is very listenable without entering the realm of pain. The system is effortlessly dynamic, the peaks were hit while listening to Roxanne Stings live album through the low bass which I could mainly feel as opposed to listen to. It all sounded perfectly natural and undistorted.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Very interesting. It seems you've hit your own personal jackpot. I've had a little browse through their site and tech spec. Apart from some rather uninformative figures (though others do it too) such as the power rating of the amps (104watt dynamic power into 4 ohm (not continuous and 8 ohm though I would naturally assume the drivers are of the 4 ohm variety) and Distortion figures of <0.1% 50w 4ohm (which makes me believe the PWM modules are 50w or so into an 8ohm load) with no indication on whether this is over the entire frequency range or the more common 1khz measurement point (in which case it'd be rather high).

Anyway, I'm nittpicking (even AVI gives figures which mean relatively little ie. 250w into what load?) and they certainly seem an interesting though certainly less featured or domestically acceptable alternative to the 9.1's. Are you in the UK and how much did you pay for yours?

A

Anonymous

ex66_frequency_graph.jpg
Thanks drummerman, I agree that this is an alternative to the 9.1's. I live outside UK and paid approx. 1,200 USD for my pair.

I don't care all that much about power ratings, the best measure for me is my SPL meter in my listening position (4.2 meters from the speakers). In the 7 o clock position, music is extremely dynamic going from 74db peaking at about 92db. In the 10 o clock position, the average level is 85- 90 db in listening position with a max peak of 108db which I have physically seen. Net, its as powerful and dynamic as you would ever want it to be. My listening room is huge, it measures 8m x 5m and its filled with furniture, carpeting, paintings and the like.

I will do something interesting today, I will make my own frequency response chart using my SPL meter in listening position using a calibration CD that came with the speakers and will share with you guys as soon as I am done.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Nice to see someone happy with what he's/she got. I have my doubts that the product, as good as it may be, is of interest to the majority of people here in the UK (though the forum is used world wide so your contribution is, I'm sure, valuable) if the product is not available here though perhaps it is, I have'nt looked to far into it. You're a very enthusiastic chap and quite rightly pointed some of the benefits of active amplification out which normally could only be achieved with costly passive stuff.

A

Anonymous

I am happy and agree that this product is not for everyone. I believe the product is available in the UK, please check out the Sound on Sound review at:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep06/articles/maudioex66.htm

Just a couple of things you should know about this product:

1. There is a slight noise issue mentioned in the article. In my listening room, it is no more noisy than my CA setup which is fairly quiet for home standards

2. The best way to use this system is through its digital inputs, analogue inputs are not quite as simple

3. It is specified as a nearfield monitor but I feel its MTM architecture works fine in my huge listening room

4. The tweeters MUST be positioned at ear level to get the best out of the speakers meaning you need taller than average speaker stands

5. You can adjust it according to your room. If you want a lean presentation, you can have it. If you want a bright presentation you can have it. If you want to warm things up (as I have done), you can have it. If you want huge bass, its yours

A

Anonymous

tweeter.jpg
Lemme explain the noise issue. When you power your speakers on and before you put any program material on, you can hear a high frequency hiss if you put your ears within one feet of the tweeters. If you move 5 feet away, you wont be able to pick it up. In my listening position it is un-audible.

A

Anonymous

Just to demonstrate what a huge difference room tuning makes, even to studio monitors that are measured flat in sound treated chambers I am attaching some frequency response charts showing a before and after. Rooms make a huge difference in the sound at listening position.

I suppose I can flatten the low frequency anomalies down even further if I move the speakers to a distance of approx. 1 meter from the walls and form a perfect equilateral triangle by spacing them approx 3m apart.

By the way, its quite an interesting exercise to see what your systems response curve is inside your room...

Cheers...
l_49bfd73875d2edfbcf34dc37bdfdd1df.jpg

A

Anonymous

ha ha ha, the measurements took me all of 15 minutes to complete yesterday
emotion-4.gif
. The rest of the evening was spent blasting away with Bon Jovi, a bit of Van Halen, a topping of Judas Priest and a sprinkling of Guns N Roses.I think today will be more of a classical day with a bit of Holst and a compilation of 13th Century latin music.

I have a bit of an issue with my wife who cant stay in my listening room for too long as she is pregnant (loudness isnt ideal for a baby). So, will thoroughly douse myself in music until I get bitten by the upgrade bug again
emotion-40.gif
. Cheers danwood6.

A

Anonymous

A very interesting read.

Have you actually compared these to the ADM9's .. ? I'm really interested in buying those, but if they have some competition that's worth a look then great. My Mac Mini is my music server, so digital out straight to these beasts as per the ADM9's...

A comparison would be great ...

I'm going to post a link to this on the computeraudiophile website.

Matt.

A

Anonymous

Non conformist:
I was listening to Stings live album. He is alive and present in my room

Oh my god! That would be my worst nightmare! Glad I don't have those speakers then! ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts