A tall order?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
A tall order but..

I require some ideas for purely acoustic music. (Vocals optional.)
On Vinyl LP.
Preferably British (at least not 'world music')
Upbeat (no lyrics that make one suicidal after 3 tracks.)
Pacey. (At least a good proportion of it that one would want to get up and dance to or join in.)
NOT FOLK!
Very well recorded.
Anytime from the last 50 years (even this week).
NO PAN PIPES!

I am sorted for Reggae, Ska, Two-tone, Jazz, Classical, Pop, Rock, Swing/Big-Band, nostalgia and a few other genres. but noticed I don't have anything much at all that is purely acoustic and my mind has gone blank. I can only think of folk and depressing 1970s/80s American singer/songwriter stuff and 'world music' (shudders).

Please help me with some ideas.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Some John Mayer might apply. I think you'd be quite pleased with Rocky Votolato too, although his lyrics aren't always up beat.

Nick Drake is quite awesome too, Bryter Later is a phenomenal album.

I'll post more when I think of them.

A

Anonymous

You say Pan Pipes my friend AND folk? Well add a little prog-rock and you have "Focus' House of the King!"

..."oh it's the Mustang BOSS 359 version..."

T

the record spot

Steve Hackett's solo guitar work. Sketches of Satie was put out on 180gram LP a few years back; you might still land a copy if you go over to camino.co.uk - there's also his Bay of Kings album which is worth picking up.

EDIT: And go for this one if you want a live show. For added desirability, I went along to this gig too! http://www.camino.co.uk/product/live_archive_83.html

A

Anonymous

I just got a copy of James Taylor, One Man Band. It's all vocal (bar one short piano piece), with acoustic guitar and grand piano. Excellent recording and comes with a rather well produced DVD of the same live performance. Not quite what you're looking for but very good nonetheless.

A

Anonymous

Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wJ-VPqFzy0
and tell me it's not one of the best songs you've ever heard. I dare you.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Jeez. Acoustic and not suicidal? A tall order indeed.

Define acoustic though, and define folk...

Acoustic:- An instrument that needs a microphone to record it and can be played live during a power cut.

Folk:- Modern day interpretations of Victorian bastardisations of stuff that intellectuals fancy the 'common folk' used to sing. Watch the bits in 'Nuts in may' where Keith and Candice Marie get musical and that is what is indelibly printed in my mind about folk singers. Right or wrong I cannot shift that image. It summons up beards and real ale and sandals and big jumpers made from goats*.

* I don't mean cashmere. I mean a real folk singer's jumper where bits of actual goat (udders, hooves etc.) are woven in and the original goat's colouring is still apparent under the pipe tobacco burns and beer stains.

John Duncan

chebby:JohnDuncan:Jeez. Acoustic and not suicidal? A tall order indeed.

Define acoustic though, and define folk...

Acoustic:- An instrument that needs a microphone to record it and can be played live during a power cut.

Folk:- Modern day interpretations of Victorian bastardisations of stuff that intellectuals fancy the 'common folk' used to sing. Watch the bits in 'Nuts in may' where Keith and Candice Marie get musical and that is what is indelibly printed in my mind about folk singers. Right or wrong I cannot shift that image. It summons up beards and real ale and sandals and big jumpers made from goats*.

* I don't mean cashmere. I mean a real folk singer's jumper where bits of actual goat (udders, hooves etc.) are woven in and the original goat's colouring is still apparent under the pipe tobacco burns and beer stains.

Right. So no electric bass or drum samples and no goats?

That rules out Jim Moray then.

Joni Mitchell 1970-1976 might be interesting for you though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts