A Serious Man

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I have twice rented (AFAIK 2 different copies of) this on BluRay, and twice it has just gone blank after the Universal logo goes round the globe with the big music. So I've been through teh menu and pressed play, an have seen the copyright warning and the R rated blue screen bit, then it reads the disk again, tehn the universal jingle, then it reads again, then blackness.

Anyone else had this?

I'll try it on DVD today.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Good point, but i rented it from Blockbuster. I'll mention that to them though.

That said, i think i have seen the R logo on UK disks too, alongside the UK cert...

Off out now so will drop in and sort it, and mention your point.

Cheers.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:Hmm, you might see the R log on the disk itself, but certainly on a UK disk you should only see the BBFC rating on the screen before the film starts.

That's not necessarily true. Actually more often the opposite I find. The box that the BD comes in is usually printed with the correct UK BBFC ratings etc. but I'd say more often than not the disk displays the US FBI warnings and MPAA letter ratings as they often seem to be printed from the same glass master as the US version is. I'd say that this is highly likely in particular for a Universal release as they do not use any region coding on any of their BD discs that I am aware of.

thfc100

Aug 28, 2008
Visit site
Yes I had the same problem with this disc. I have also had problems with other discs not playing on my Panasonic BD50 but I just put it down to the fact my player was getting on a bit now.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:I stand corrected!

No biggie...

I'd check that your DMP-BD35 has the latest firmware loaded as the film is a new release and the player is a couple of generations old. If you've tried 2x copies of the BD and have the exact same result I'd venture a guess that someone else might have as well and that it may be one of those instances where a manufacturer releases a patch for compatibility. I can't imagine that Panny would want their clientele to have to go without being able to screen a Coen Bros film (and from what I hear yet another gem).

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks folks. Lady in teh shop is pretty sur etheres no region problem (i didnt know that about universal) but she too said it may be a firmware thing. ill try download the latest and run it off a disk in the bd35.

they gave me the dvd copy for two nights. thing is, should have waited til men who stare at goats comes out and had them both for 2 nights.

Blast!

EDIT - anotyher exceptionally well written post, i think you'll agree.

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Some blu-ray discs expect to find some memory available for its "interactive features" use in the player; this was a problem with "Crank 2" when it came out.

I believe newer players have some permanently installed, the Pana BD35 does not. Try fitting an SD memory card in the player; you will need to format it in the player before trying a disc. Hopefully, if a firmware update doesn't solve the problem this might do it.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Joe10155:

Some blu-ray discs expect to find some memory available for its "interactive features" use in the player; this was a problem with "Crank 2" when it came out.

I believe newer players have some permanently installed, the Pana BD35 does not. Try fitting an SD memory card in the player; you will need to format it in the player before trying a disc. Hopefully, if a firmware update doesn't solve the problem this might do it.

i dont intend to shoot the messenger but thats pretty rubbish. i dont want to use bd live at all.

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Neither do I, I just what to watch the film; but unfortunately it seems that if there is no memory available the disc just refuses to play properly. For Crank 2 it just showed a small 2" cut out of the film in the middle of the screen! It was only after I returned the disc as faulty that I read on the web that that was the problem. so since then I have always left an SD card in the slot, just in case it's needed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts