A power-amp for a NAD-3020A?

T

the record spot

Since I wheeled the old NAD out and found it's doing a pretty sterling job. It has the means to add a power amp and though I'd ideally like to bolt on another NAD amp, to maintain consistency, are there any others that would do the job?

I know igglebert's impressed with his Quad which goes onto a different pre- source, so any tips, hints, etc.?

Also, how much do folk think it would cost to have the 3020A serviced, new capacitors, etc? The original ones are looking a bit past-it and there's some evidence of leakage at some point in the past. Still working fine now, but I think the servicing would be money well spent.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
http://www.fidele.co.uk/nad_3020.htm

Not sure if thats what your looking for but it seems a good price to me. No chance you could pick up the soldering iron and service manual and do it yourself?

harrisonaard1

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
The cost for servicing would be about £80 at a guess, as I had one of my old ones 'done' by NAD a few years ago. It doesn't make a huge difference, just takes it back to how it sounded when new. (Which would be advantageous if you have nailed the amp in the past.) From personal experience, an old Quad 303 or 606 would be simply wonderful with a Nad, and would give quality over quantity but, for more volume and to power bigger speakers, I found that the Rotel power amps were the sound for me. Eventually having huge home-made speakers with a twelve-foot folded tube inside and over a kilowatt of power, having the Nad power the top-end and the Rotel for the bass. Simply awesome. I would isolate the Record player if you want one like that. They both sounded great, but it depends upon what you want. Just go somewhere and listen and compare.Good luck.

T

the record spot

Excellent - thanks for the feedback guys. The amp's never really panelled for lengthy periods, although it was turned up a bit when I had some headphones back in my student days (ouch!).

Some of the internals have leaked a little, so re-capping wouldn't do any harm I reckon. Also, there is a dealer near me who might be able to do the job, but the Fidele Audio price looks very good and the TNT review of the work can't be brushed aside either.

Rotel sound like a good option for me and there's a dealer near me who has some of both. I don't need ear shattering levels anymore (though the NAD works wonders with the Mission 752s) so quality is high on the agenda. I think the likelihood is I could try both as he has Quad 303 and various Rotel power amps. Thanks for the advice chaps - much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts