A little oil - is that ok?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I noticed my turntable making a slight thud noise when spinning around. I have isolated it down to the platter - so is it ok to add a little oil (not cooking or extra virgin of course) to the bearings as I think this is what is causing the noise?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Absolutely. Light machine oil or WD40 I would say. On the arm spindle in VERY tiny amounts. Anything mechanical keeping it away from rubber. IMO. I know nuffin'.

Cheers

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
WD40 is only partly a lubricant; it also contains a heap of additives which clean and free up seized joints. Great for an old and rusty bike chain, but it ceases to act as a lubricant fairly early. I use it for my bike chain, I spray per wek, else it dries.

3 in One should be OK, but the formula also includes some solvents, at least in Oz it does. I've used it, but prefer the straight sewing machine oil. Anyway, if you clean and oil once a year you'll be fine with 3 in One. Don't know your turntable, though, check what the manufacturer says.

By the way, if the noise is coming from the bearing, you need to get onto it quick, so use the 3 in One and change if you find out it isn't the best solution. A dry bearing will quickly kill your turntable.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
I have used WD40 + cocktail stick but I bow to your greater knowledge. Sorry to give poor advice. Agree with sewing mc oil.

Cheers
I've bought a little can of 3-in-1 original multi purpose oil drip. It has little spout for precise application. It says you can use it on sewing machines - is this ok?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
In Oz, where many roads are dirt, it's great. Dust sticks less. It is a lubricant, by the way, but you need to use it regularly, as in weekly. Certainly the wrong thing for turntables.

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Also good is a fully synthetic motor oil like 5w30 as it doesn't thicken or go sticky after use. If you have some for your car anyway it is also very cheap...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts