A good sub for around £200

KrisC123

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi, im just wondering what is a good subwoofer for around £200-300

i have a pretty small room but im working on getting a good home cinema system before i move out. im currently looking to buy a yamaha V671 or a V673, i already have a set of cambridge audio SL30's which im going to encorperate with the system and i'll be getting my surrounds in good time.

Im just really stuck for a decent sub for around that cash. I will be listening using it for alot of varied music from dubstep to metal to easy listening and movies.

i was looking at a few subs the CA minx x300 and it was nice but i would like to know other peoples opinions Any help would be great, cheers

A

Anonymous

I have a rxv667 with whafedale sw-150 it's a bit on the warm side as all whafedale stuff but a great sub for the price super-fi have them to clear I think, I got one with a set of 9.1's to use as rears.

KrisC123

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I was actually contemplating getting the sw150 because ive heard good things and it is very well priced. i dont know where i could have a listen though thats the only thing and i would need to get a real world size comparison too because my room is pretty small.

this is a long shot but you wouldnt put video up on youtube of your sub if you can? it would be greatly appreciated

A

Anonymous

Sw-150 It is front Firing if it's small room I'd maybe go down firing as I found it hard to place and a bit directional it def needs to be in a bit of space and inbetween the front L&R, not a sub for behind the sofa.

So if you have room then grand.

A

Anonymous

Sw-150 It is front Firing if it's small room I'd maybe go down firing as I found it hard to place and a bit directional it def needs to be in a bit of space and inbetween the front L&R, not a sub for behind the sofa.

So if you have room then grand.

KrisC123

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
That box idea is actually pretty smart haha cheers.

I was looking at the gemini and i think it looks great and it is pretty well priced and i can get it in gloss black, but it is downward firing (i prefer front firing, purely asthetics) and i read the whathifi review of it and its kind of put me off the gemini because its not as detailed with music which is what i would be using it for, cheers for reminding me about it and its still on the cards because everyone says its awesome for a budget sub.

Has anyone used the wharfedale powercue? ive seen it going for pretty cheap? how does it sound?

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've got the SW150. I pretty much use it for TV and movies only as I've got some reasonable KEF floorstanders for music. It's plugged into my Sony STR DH-800. The radiator on the opposite side of the room rattles during films if I've cranked the receiver up a bit so it's certainly got a bit of clout (and I've got the sub at the correct volume relative to the other speakers). I've occasionally used it for music if I'm playing some particularly bass heavy stuff and it's ok. There certainly are far better subs out there for music but I think you'd have to expect to pay substantially more. Got mine from Superfi as they seem to be selling them off fairly cheap.

jolls

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
How about the QAcoustics Q7000S? It has had some good reviews, is flexible in placement and available in black or white. It is £50. over the top end of your budget though. As suggested the BK Gemini is a good choice for within budget.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I can recommend this sub, for its size its phenominal

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261078373107?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649#ht_500wt_1378

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
WishTree said:
I have the B&W ASW608. it is pretty good and adds the bottom end very nicely. Non overpowering and very good blending with KEF KHT8005 speakers.

My considerations were a sealed box, small size, fast and not necessary to drive the neighbours away!

KrisC123

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I have had a look at The Q7000S and while it certainly is different and looks very good, i think it is too large to fit in my room.

The B&W AWS608 looks very good, its compact and not ugly, seen a few videos of it in action and i do like it alot.

So I am torn between the Wharfdale SW150 and the B&W AWS608, should i opt for the B&W and spend more or should i go for the Wharfedale to do me in the mean time and trade up when i have a bit more money?

Thanks for all your help by the way, you have all been awesome!

(edit) Was also looking at a BK xls200, it seems to be very good for the money, is it good for music?

TRENDING THREADS