A good match for classical music?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I would like to upgrade my system and I am looking for some good advice, can anybody help?

At the moment I have an amp NAD c316BEE, some old(early 90s?) two-ways B&W speakers and a Sony DVDplayer(!).

I am thinking of buying a NAD c515BEE cd-player and I could spend up to 700£ for the speakers, some three ways floorstanders but I have no idea. I could even upgrade the amp to a 2x50 for about 300£ (maybe NAD c326BEE), if the speakers require it.

So the total budget should be around 1300£.

I generally listen to classical music, mostly symphonic and opera, the room is quite large 12ft x 12ft.

What do you think?

matthewpiano

The NAD C326BEE is superb for classical music. I've had most of the current budget contenders and I have found the NAD to be the best for really portraying the depth of sound produced by an orchestra. I recently heard some Wharfedale Diamond 10.4 floorstanders on the end of the NAD and they were magnificent. Real scale and body to the sound but with plenty of detail and a fantastic sense of atmosphere/ambience. Not a sound which is going to impress in a quick 10 minute audition with a bang here and a bang there, but a mature and involving sound to make long listening sessions a real pleasure and with plenty of attack for those all important transients.

If you like a slightly less rich sound, the Tannoy Mercury V4 are well worth a try, and I'd also suggest trying the Monitor Audio BX5 and the Dali Zensor 5. All fine speakers and excellent value for money. I find floorstanders better than most standmounts for larger scale classical works because they generally provide such a full and stable sound and really draw you into the music.

If you get the NAD 326, do invest in some Audioquest amp jumpers for £25. They replace those cheap steel links between the pre out and main in sockets on the rear and they do make quite a difference to the overall sense of control in the sound.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
What does those audio quest amp jumpers do
In fact what will the preamp do if using that amp to drive the speakers
What kind of sound improvements can I expect
Are there any other jumpers on the market as alternative to this?

A

Anonymous

Thanks matthewpiano!.... but what do you think of the B&W 684 combined with a NAD 326?

A

Anonymous

I listen to a lot of orchestral and instrumental classical music, and I really enjoy my Monitor Audio RX2 speakers.

A

Anonymous

I listen to a lot of orchestral and instrumental classical music, and I really enjoy my Monitor Audio RX2 speakers.

matthewpiano

pkerai said:
What does those audio quest amp jumpers do In fact what will the preamp do if using that amp to drive the speakers What kind of sound improvements can I expect Are there any other jumpers on the market as alternative to this?

The NAD is an integrated amp but with discrete pre and power amp sections which are linked together using a bridge between two sets of phono connections. One set is the pre-amp section's output and the other set is the input to the power amp. Out of the box this bridge is made using cheap steel connections and, of course, it sounds perfectly OK. Changing this connections for the Audioquest amp jumpers (or any other decent quality short cable) improves the connection between the two halves of the amp and I've found it brings greater focus and clarity to the sound.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
One would have thought the solid steel jumpers would sound better since they only connect the signal without a screen. The audio jumpers are adding a capacitive load into the signal path, can't see why this would improve the sound.

matthewpiano

eggontoast said:
One would have thought the solid steel jumpers would sound better since they only connect the signal without a screen. The audio jumpers are adding a capacitive load into the signal path, can't see why this would improve the sound.

They definitely bring a greater sense of control to the sound of the NAD. Not much interested in the why to be honest.

matthewpiano

Zeno said:
Thanks matthewpiano!.... but what do you think of the B&W 684 combined with a NAD 326?

I haven't heard the two together so I can't say. I have heard 685s with a NAD 326 and I thought it an excellent combination. My only slight issue with B&W speakers is that they sometimes don't sound as natural as I would like. You really need to audition to see what suits you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts