A ghost in the house?

I'm standing just outside the back door having a ciggie, playing a compilation CD (quietly). Mrs. P is out in the kitchen and little'un is fast asleep, and the CD stopped and the drawer just opened by itself.

All the years I've had CDPs I've never experienced the drawer opening like that.

Explanations please.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Lolz, no such thing as ghosts... might be a demon , get the priest :)

Might just be a loose drawer and the unit is on a kind of slope.......small... really small earth tremor ... :hand:

Any UFO's in the area ?

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Your neighbour recently bought the same CD player and has it right by the window, or perhaps a complex mirror array? And of course yours must be too . .

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ryan92 said:
Your neighbour recently bought the same CD player and has it right by the window, or perhaps a complex mirror array? And of course yours must be too . .

Very likely.

It doesn't have to be the same kind of CD player. Many CD players, from many manufacturers, use the same remote control codes (just as I can control most of the functions of my Sony Blu-ray player with my Panasonic TV remote).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ghosts used to have more fun when we all had tape recorders. Few of us record anything anymore and this limits their expression.

I expect PP's visitor is a denizen of the 1970s (an analogue ghost) and mistook the CD player for a cassette deck, hitting 'eject' by mistake, when trying - in vain - to find a 'record' button.

Weirdest thing I ever saw was a black, 1960s American car enter a small fog 'pocket' on a local stretch of motorway (it runs next to the marshes at the edge of a harbour and is only a few feet above sea level) we entered and then came out of the fog in just a few seconds but the American car had vanished. There were no slip roads or other exits and no other nearby traffic that could have obscured it from our view.

It didn't park up on the hard-shoulder - in the fog patch - because we were on the inside lane and would have seen it. Also it entered the fog at the same speed we did, so there wasn't enough time for it to slow down and brake to a standstill given the distances involved. (The fog only took three or four seconds to drive through).

However, I remain convinced it was explicable somehow. I just don't know how. Neither of us (my brother and I) were tired or intoxicated so 'seeing things' was unlikely.

Not ghosts, obviously, but chalked up as a 'very odd thing'.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
It’s probably something like the micro switch release built into the loading mech. I think the transport in your Arcam is a Sony, and if that is typical of the usual Sony plastic affair, the vibration from the transport can cause the ‘load out’ circuit to trigger momentarily, and thus it ejects the disc.

Personally I prefer the Poltergeist explanation, because you could take it down to Unilet, and it could move items from their stock room into the boot of your car! If this idea appeals, I’m told the best way to communicate with a spirit is to say ‘What troublest thou’… and then explain exactly what speakers you want it to take!

Of course, if it’s not a powerful spirit, 10/1 says it’s that of a dearly departed relative who is desperately trying to stop you from contracting lung cancer!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
Ryan92 said:

Very likely.

It doesn't have to be the same kind of CD player. Many CD players, from many manufacturers, use the same remote control codes (just as I can control most of the functions of my Sony Blu-ray player with my Panasonic TV remote).
Let's not forget that another r/c would still have to be within the line of sight of the sensor, either directly or via mirrors or other reflective surfaces. Very unlikely?

I'm with the frustrated poltergeist theory :grin:

chebby said:
Ghosts used to have more fun when we all had tape recorders. Few of us record anything anymore and this limits their expression.

I expect PP's visitor is a denizen of the 1970s (an analogue ghost) and mistook the CD player for a cassette deck, hitting 'eject' by mistake, when trying - in vain - to find a 'record' button.

Weirdest thing I ever saw was a black, 1960s American car enter a small fog 'pocket' on a local stretch of motorway (it runs next to the marshes at the edge of a harbour and is only a few feet above sea level) we entered and then came out of the fog in just a few seconds but the American car had vanished. There were no slip roads or other exits and no other nearby traffic that could have obscured it from our view.

It didn't park up on the hard-shoulder - in the fog patch - because we were on the inside lane and would have seen it. Also it entered the fog at the same speed we did, so there wasn't enough time for it to slow down and brake to a standstill given the distances involved. (The fog only took three or four seconds to drive through).

However, I remain convinced it was explicable somehow. I just don't know how. Neither of us (my brother and I) were tired or intoxicated so 'seeing things' was unlikely.

Not ghosts, obviously, but chalked up as a 'very odd thing'.

I checked the cd for any grubby fingermarks and it was spotless (Cue X-Files theme). Perhaps it was trying to tell me to play a record, as I've been on a vinyl frenzy of late.

It was playing The Knack's 'My Sharona' when it happened, although it would be creepy if I was playing Ray Parker Jnr's 'Ghostbusters'.

I think it was just a glitch in the mechanism... I hope!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not a particular believer in ghosts, but my sister-in-law, who lives in Co. Tipperary, does appear to have a poltergeist, called Patrick!

When they bought the house, every room was covered with "holy pictures"....which she unceremoniously relegated to the garage. You have to understand, that she is the sort of person that is more likely to frighten Ghosts!

Anyway, it wasn't long before strange things started to happen, nothing too dramatic at first. Stuff went missing, and then returned; objects moved from where they were left...all could be put down to absentmindedness.

After a while, they made inquiries in the little village, and found out that the spirit of an old man called Patrick (who died there) was known to cause mischief in the house....which accounted for the holy pictures and the sale of the house at below market value.

The weird goings on became more obvious..front door opening and shutting, footsteps walking about upstairs, and even a shadowy figure, that could be seen of a night, peering out from behind the upstairs curtains, as you left for a night out!

The family put it down to the fanciful imagination of this couple, until one of them went to stay. She arrived in the evening when nobody was in. As she passed by the kitchen sink, a spoon that was sitting on the draining board, shot up in the air and hit her on the back of her head. She wasn't long high-tailing it out to join the others in the pub.

My sister in law is not one bit bothered, and treats the spirit as a mischievous member of the family. He seems to return the stuff he has hidden (usually money/jewelry/shoes etc), once she has scolded at him.

His last effort at winding them up, was turning the channels over on the telly, then switching the whole system over to a DVD.

I have never stayed, so can't personally confirm any of this, but most of the rest of her family have, and they would confirm that this is going on.

My wife was there a couple of months ago, and the only thing she had to say, was that she was was woken up in the middle of the night, as something brushed against her face!

I can feel the scepticism from here, but this is a genuine ongoing situation, with as yet no rational explanation. Too many people have witnessed it for themselves.

So there you have it

Cno

A

Anonymous

Perhaps it is that your CD player is quite fond of you... it was just giving you the five, bro! :grin:

CnoEvil said:
I'm not a particular believer in ghosts, but my sister-in-law, who lives in Co. Tipperary, does appear to have a poltergeist, called Patrick! When they bought the house, every room was covered with "holy pictures"....which she unceremoniously relegated to the garage. You have to understand, that she is the sort of person that is more likely to frighten Ghosts! Anyway, it wasn't long before strange things started to happen, nothing too dramatic at first. Stuff went missing, and then returned; objects moved from where they were left...all could be put down to absentmindedness. After a while, they made inquiries in the little village, and found out that the spirit of an old man called Patrick (who died there) was known to cause mischief in the house....which accounted for the holy pictures and the sale of the house at below market value. The weird goings on became more obvious..front door opening and shutting, footsteps walking about upstairs, and even a shadowy figure, that could be seen of a night, peering out from behind the upstairs curtains, as you left for a night out! The family put it down to the fanciful imagination of this couple, until one of them went to stay. She arrived in the evening when nobody was in. As she passed by the kitchen sink, a spoon that was sitting on the draining board, shot up in the air and hit her on the back of her head. She wasn't long high-tailing it out to join the others in the pub. My sister in law is not one bit bothered, and treats the spirit as a mischievous member of the family. He seems to return the stuff he has hidden (usually money/jewelry/shoes etc), once she has scolded at him. His last effort at winding them up, was turning the channels over on the telly, then switching the whole system over to a DVD. I have never stayed, so can't personally confirm any of this, but most of the rest of her family have, and they would confirm that this is going on. My wife was there a couple of months ago, and the only thing she had to say, was that she was was woken up in the middle of the night, as something brushed against her face! I can feel the scepticism from here, but this is a genuine ongoing situation, with as yet no rational explanation. Too many people have witnessed it for themselves. So there you have it Cno

There is always a rational or scientific reasons for so-called hauntings. I would love to know that there is an afterlife, but being a gruff old pragmatist, I look at logical reasons. Once all logic has gone then one can look at the other side (and I'm not talking about the garden fence, either).

Many years ago I took Mrs. P out for a ride. As she wasn't that familiar with S. London, we ended up going through a housing estate that's built on the site of Croydon Airport, which was an RAF fighter station during the Battle of Britain.

Anyway, approx two days later she said: "I saw a ghost." I replied, "where?" "It was when we drove through the estate - there was a man dressed as an airman standing by a lampost..." So I replied, "why didn't you say something at the time?" She tilted her head in embarassment: "You might of thought I was barmey..."

As a WWII researcher I know that estate inside out, and right opposite where she saw this ghostly figure stands the pavillion for a cricket and squash club. Well that pavillion used to be the RAF mortuary.

You make up your minds: Was it a relection from the lampost casting a shadow or an apparition?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
There is always a rational or scientific reasons for so-called hauntings.

I have always believed this to be true, but this situation is on going and not a one off occurrence. He has since thrown cutlery at others, usually to make an impact on first time visitors.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Anyway, approx two days later she said: "I saw a ghost." I replied, "where?" "It was when we drove through the estate - there was a man dressed as an airman standing by a lampost..." So I replied, "why didn't you say something at the time?" She tilted her head in embarassment: "You might of thought I was barmey..."

Wait a minute, this is all making sense now!!! Your wife saw a ghostly pilot, and your CD player just ‘ejected’… Subtle clue that… It may have followed you home mate…

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, my theory is that if you believe there is ghost in the hidden world then you have very high chance of seeing it, else you won't see anything at all. I am one of the latter.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Inter_Voice said:
Well, my theory is that if you believe there is ghost in the hidden world then you have very high chance of seeing it, else you won't see anything at all. I am one of the latter.

....how does that theory equate with being hit on the head with a spoon, that seems to have taken "a life of its own", and flown off the draining board? :O

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Inter_Voice said:

....how does that theory equate with being hit on the head with a spoon, that seems to have taken "a life of its own", and flown off the draining board? :O

The theory is that if you totally disbelieve the existance of ghost the communication link between you and the "ghost" will not establish and it means like you the"ghost" cannot see you either.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Inter_Voice said:
The theory is that if you totally disbelieve the existance of ghost the communication link between you and the "ghost" will not establish and it means like you the"ghost" cannot see you either.

Maybe the rules are different for a Poltergeist, or nobody explained the rules to this one.

The amuselingly ironic thing was, that after running to the pub (having been hit with the spoon), the barman said to her, "You look like you've just seen a ghost".

This happened to a lady, that up to that point, didn't believe in "all that rubbish!"

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
This happened to a lady, that up to that point, didn't believe in "all that rubbish!"

But it is really difficult to confirm what the lady said is what she actaully has in the back of her mind.

A lot of people just tells you something from their mouth that is actually entirely differrent to what is in their mind.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts