A few thoughts on some new products

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Got a long/free weekend ... sigh of relief. The following is a completely uninformed rant of opinions based on nothing more than release notes or magazine reviews. Why? Because I can ... and have the time.

Roksan's updated Mseries

ugly beyond belief to these eyes and seemingly very expensive. Probably designed as a russian military application originally but meant to sound good.

Marantz KI lites

Called 'affordable' KI Pearls, they may well be at a grand each compared to the grown up versions but it hardly rates in the same ball park as previous KI specials. Having said that, taking inflation, currency variations and the likes into account, they probably are on equal level or thereabouts. Seems well built and decently good looking though the similarity to even the cheap range (from the front at least) is perhaps disappointing. The copper plating and side cheeks should provide enough distinction though for some show off value (also called pride of ownership), just make sure you place them the wrong way round on the equipment rack. The question is, how will they compare to the companies 8003 series which is substantially cheaper? KI's involvement will probably ensure that the difference will be worth the difference though.

Musical Fidelity M3i (amplifier)

I have not been a fan of some of the companies products I have heard, with some exceptions though. That and the fact that they tend to sell off some of their (usually more high-end) stock at less than half price or less a year down the line which does not much for residual values though again, some of the stuff seems to be excempt from that.

Have to say tough, for a big'ish box the design is spot on and I likes.

New Kef Q range

Ugly compared to the predecessors but hey, something usually gives in the neverending pursuit of better sound quality. Having said that, I particularely liked the un-showy, non-flashy presentation of their long superseded iq7's. More like a decent standmount than a compromised floorstander. Constant criticism of the 'lack of bass' of previous ranges have probably convinced KEF to follow B&W's lead and make show room impressive sounding speakers to compete directly with their main rivals. I hope I'm wrong though.

Bower & Wilkins 802 Diamond

A Dalek. Ideal for visually impaired persons with acute hearing.

Quad Elite series

Like the look, distinctive as usual but smart. No idea how they sound but apparently peter comeau uses them at home. Of course, nothing to do with that he is in a directorial position for the parent company. Still ... Seems reasonably priced too, especially considering past Quad products and inflation, currency variations etc. which makes the Marantzes seem even more expensive but then you do get SACD, a new mid-tone-attenuator and a lot of shiny copper plating.

Audiolab 8002CD

Love the look, always have done and hope they will make an amplifier which I like. Seems good value.

Peachtree Audio products

Absolutely love the art-decco'ish look. Nova amplifier uses advanced DAC.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:

Got a long/free weekend ... sigh of relief. The following is a completely uninformed rant of opinions based on nothing more than release notes or magazine reviews. Why? Because I can ... and have the time.

Roksan's updated Mseries

ugly beyond belief to these eyes and seemingly very expensive. Probably designed as a russian military application originally but meant to sound good.

Marantz KI lites

Called 'affordable' KI Pearls, they may well be at a grand each compared to the grown up versions but it hardly rates in the same ball park as previous KI specials. Having said that, taking inflation, currency variations and the likes into account, they probably are on equal level or thereabouts. Seems well built and decently good looking though the similarity to even the cheap range (from the front at least) is perhaps disappointing. The copper plating and side cheeks should provide enough distinction though for some show off value (also called pride of ownership), just make sure you place them the wrong way round on the equipment rack. The question is, how will they compare to the companies 8003 series which is substantially cheaper? KI's involvement will probably ensure that the difference will be worth the difference though.

Musical Fidelity M3i (amplifier)

I have not been a fan of some of the companies products I have heard, with some exceptions though. That and the fact that they tend to sell off some of their (usually more high-end) stock at less than half price or less a year down the line which does not much for residual values though again, some of the stuff seems to be excempt from that.

Have to say tough, for a big'ish box the design is spot on and I likes.

New Kef Q range

Ugly compared to the predecessors but hey, something usually gives in the neverending pursuit of better sound quality. Having said that, I particularely liked the un-showy, non-flashy presentation of their long superseded iq7's. More like a decent standmount than a compromised floorstander. Constant criticism of the 'lack of bass' of previous ranges have probably convinced KEF to follow B&W's lead and make show room impressive sounding speakers to compete directly with their main rivals. I hope I'm wrong though.

Bower & Wilkins 802 Diamond

A Dalek. Ideal for visually impaired persons with acute hearing.

Quad Elite series

Like the look, distinctive as usual but smart. No idea how they sound but apparently peter comeau uses them at home. Of course, nothing to do with that he is in a directorial position for the parent company. Still ... Seems reasonably priced too, especially considering past Quad products and inflation, currency variations etc. which makes the Marantzes seem even more expensive but then you do get SACD, a new mid-tone-attenuator and a lot of shiny copper plating.

Audiolab 8002CD

Love the look, always have done and hope they will make an amplifier which I like. Seems good value.

Peachtree Audio products

Absolutely love the art-decco'ish look. Nova amplifier uses advanced DAC.

rant away...................very enjoyable

John Duncan

drummerman:
Audiolab 8002CD

Agreed, and gorgeous up close. If the (EDIT - presumed, since there's no mention of them) amps are as attractive (aesthetically and sonically), an interesting alternative to the usualsuspects for those who have a streaming source already...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts