A DVD player that gives good CD sound?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I know it is a compromise, but is there a good DVD player that produces good quality sound when playing CD's? It will be going through a Sony STR-DA2400es reveiver. Do Blue Ray players play CD's, and if so would this be a better way to go? 

John Duncan

There are, and the first one I'd think of is the Arcam DV135 available from Superfi for £300. And there's always the Naim DVD5 for two and a half grand......

However, there are other options like adding a DAC to a DVD or Blu Ray player, so it depends on your budget - how much did you want to spend?

A

Anonymous

I was aiming to spend about £300, if possible, but could go to about £500 or so, if the extra outlay is definitely worth it.ÿ

John Duncan

Then I would investigate the DV135 - it's a proper CD player as well as a good DVD player - the review on here refers, but note that it was at the original £900 price. If I needed a player to do both, I'd have one like a shot.

Alternatively, you could get a hi-def player like a Panasonic or Sony Blu Ray player for £300, and add a DACMagic for CD replay - I'd actually expect this to sound a bit better for CDs, but it's more expensive and more of a palaver, though more versatile (adding better sound for other sources, adding high def capability etc).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your advice. I have not heard of the DACMagic so will look into that and decide which way to go out of your suggestions, unless anyone else comes up with alternatives. Cheers.

John Duncan

DACMagic heavily touted here (there's one in my drawer currently, waiting for the best moment to be introduced home). And the latest review by a *very* high end magazine called it 'revelatory'.

But I'm biased, wait for other views...

A

Anonymous

Assuming that you will hook your dvd player to an AV receiver, IMO all Cambridge Audio DVD players are adept at music. I have an old CA dvd57 which I use to play cds until now and I have compared it to a dedicated Sony CDP-XE370 cd player and could not hear the difference. Sometimes the Cambridge Audio sounds even better. I even asked Mr. Everard about upgrading to a Marantz CD5003 or 6002 cd player but he replied by saying that I should stick to the CA DVD player. Perhaps the improvement is not huge or the result would be the same. I reckon that a dedicated cd player will work best if you partner it to a dedicated amplifier not to an AV receiver.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:There are, and the first one I'd think of is the Arcam DV135 available from Superfi for £300. And there's always the Naim DVD5 for two and a half grand......However, there are other options like adding a DAC to a DVD or Blu Ray player, so it depends on your budget - how much did you want to spend?

I bought an Arcam DV135 fairly recently to use as my main CD player and also use I occasionally for DVD's. It plays CD & SACD discs as well as all the various DVD formats as well and I can honestly say that the performance is astounding. I have rigged it up via my Roksan Caspian amp and it is quite staggering (my mates have said he same thing) and the best part is - I believe Superfi still have some for £300 (this is where I bought mine for the same price). IMHO this is the best bargain I'm every likely to find with regards toÿHi-Fi unless someone gives me a Roksan Caspian CD player for nothing ! (I can live in hope`)ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts