A DAC as well as a music streamer?

seasonsdownfall

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

been looking and mentioned previously in posts before that i'm after a network player as my next purchase. Had my eye on the CA NP30, and now recently just came across the Pioneers N50.

I know when I've seen the np30, it was connected to CA's dac magic, though this wasn't on at the time... and have noticed the pioneers on board DAC seems to get a big mention in their specs.

What i'm asking is... is there any need in getting both? I'm certain on getting a streamer soon, as a jack from my computer just isn't ideal..

Thanks.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Yup, all depends on the relative quality of the DACs in each piece of equipment. Plug a £1000 DAC into a £100 streamer and you'll probably hear an improvement, plug a £100 DAC into a £1000 streamer and you probably won't...

seasonsdownfall

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Well it's interesting as when i heard the np30, there was a dacmagic running through it as i've mentioned, although it wasn't switched on. may have to go back and demo myself, see if there's any difference!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
seasonsdownfall said:
Well it's interesting as when i heard the np30, there was a dacmagic running through it as i've mentioned, although it wasn't switched on.

It wasn't running through the DACMagic then. I'd imagine (although I can't be bothered) to check) that the DACs in the NP30 will be similar to the ones in the DACMagic.

CambridgeAudioCare

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

Thanks for your interest – we’d just like to clarify a couple of points in this thread.

The NP30 delivers high quality audio all on its own - it uses a Wolfson WM8728 24-bit/96kHz capable DAC, which is the same as we use in our Azur 350C.

You absolutely do not have to use a DacMagic or DacMagic Plus in conjunction with the NP30, but it’s certainly something that can be added if you’re wanting to upgrade the sound and get even better audio performance. The NP30 and DacMagic/DacMagic Plus do not use the same DACs. Both the DacMagic and DacMagic Plus use twin Wolfson WM8740 DACs in conjunction with our ATF audio upsampling technology.

Also, why not check out our new Stream Magic 6 network player which will be available in the next month or so - lots of threads on WHF forum about this new model. It’s essentially an NP30 with a DacMagic Plus built in...

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts