A challenge - HiFi upgrade but with a smaller room?

TheMcGurkEffect

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

I have recently started demoing some amps to pair with my Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6Ts. I have so far heard the Unison Research S6 and both the Pathos Inpol Remix and the Pathos Ethos. In the demo room I was listening to them through a pair of Spendor D7s.

Firstly, all the amps are stunning and unique in their own little way (the Unison Research amp really made me smile!) however I found myself coming back to the Pathos Ethos. It is an incredible amp with such a beautiful and natural sound and it seems to have a great ability with all varieties of music. It also seems to be a fantastic foundation around which to build a system.

When I started looking I was initially looking purely to add the amp to my current system through my Tanoys. Thinking that longer term I would upgrade my speakers too. I have a 5 x 5.5m (16 x 18ft) living room. However, there has been a change...

I am now re-locating for work and have found a new apartment which has an L-shaped open-plan room about the same size as my current room but the only location for my speakers would put them both close to a wall, one of them in a corner, about 2m apart and about 3m from the listening position.

My question is this: Is there a pair of speakers that will cope with the limitations of the positioning but at the same time justify an upgrade to an amp such as the Pathos Ethos?

My budget would be anything up to about £3000 for the speakers. I don’t think my DC6Ts would be appropriate in a corner like that.

I am looking for something easy to listen to rather than overly clinical and have been researching the following:

Tannoy precision 6.2 - Seem to like being quite close to a wall
PMC Twenty 23
Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 - Fantastic reviews

At the moment I am assuming that a stand-mount speaker/monitors may be the better option but really would welcome any suggestions you hay have for me.

Thank you.

TheMcGurkEffect

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've not heard the Sonus Fabers, but you could add the new ATC SCM7 and 11 to the list. They might be a little "cheap" for your budget, but that doesn't mean they won't suit. I also can't comment in their suitability for the amplification you mention.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
TheMcGurkEffect said:
Tannoy precision 6.2 - Seem to like being quite close to a wall

PMC Twenty 23
Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 - Fantastic reviews

I have the SF Venere 1.5s and like them very much. I originally demoed them against the PMC twenty.21s, which seemed to have a brighter balance and much less atmosphere.

I've also heard the PMC twenty.23s a couple of times and found them similarly bright. However, that may actually be a good match with your choice of amp.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

I suspect your ideal speaker would be from Audio Note, as they are designed for Valve amps and to work in corners / close to the wall.

I would look at AN-J or AN-E: http://www.audioflair.co.uk/loudspeakers-2/

BTW. Great choices of amp.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Have a listen to the AVI ADM9 and Quested S7R active speakers if you get a chance. Both are available with a matching 10" subwoofer too if deep bass is your thing.

TheMcGurkEffect

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for your suggestions. There are some very interesting ideas in there all of which seem to be well within my budget which would allow me further scope with my amp choice. Having had a quick look at reviews the Audio Note and the Harbeth seem particularly interesting. The neutrality they both seem to have sounds right up my street.

It also makes me wander whether the Unison Research S6 may well be worth another listen. I really enjoyed it but just felt in comparison that the Pathos Ethos was the more 'sensible' choice. I have never owned a valve amp and I must admit I was drawn to the S6's charms. I'm tempted to try a few more tube amps just to see. I would also like to hear the Pathos Logos too.

Considering the fact that I am extremely unlikely to be able to audition my choice of speakers with amps where do I start? Should I find the speakers first then audition amps at home with the speakers or the other way round?

Is there a foolproof, tried-and-tested, amp speaker pairing with any of the Audio Note or Harbeth speakers that I could try to audition as my 'baseline'?

TheMcGurkEffect

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
TheMcGurkEffect said:
Considering the fact that I am extremely unlikely to be able to audition my choice of speakers with amps where do I start? Should I find the speakers first then audition amps at home with the speakers or the other way round?

I'd have thought that, since your room imposes quite specific constraints, you should find the right speakers first, and then find an amp that drives them well. (I did it the other way round; I can't remember why, but it seemed to make sense at the time.)

:cheers:

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
OK.

I find the Harbeths to be a little dark sounding if set up anywhere near a wall or corner, so often not the best choice in tight spaces.

The Audio Notes work well in such situations by reputations but it is a very long time since I have had a chance to try any. They are however fairly large and a bit 'bluff' looking if that is an issue.

Which brings me on to the very stylish Sonus Faber Liuto monitors, look good, sound fantastic and are currently available under £1700 plus stands. If I could get them to work in the room I think they would be my choice. I prefer them to the bigger Venere models but this is a personal point, others think otherwise.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I have only heard Audio Note speakers on the end of their own Valve amps, and I couldn't believe the scale they delivered.......they are designed to use the room to reinforce the bass. They are based on an old Snell designs, and come in a variety of sizes.

As DDC has said, the downside (of the more expensive ones) is their looks, which is a little like they were knocked up in a garden shed.....though they have some lovely finishes.

I suspect they will work well with most Valve amps, and will make the most of piddley-powered SET amps. If you have any difficulty, I should have the contact details of Martin Grennell, who is their main salesman, and is a top bloke.

Unison Research have a lovely little amp called "Simply Italy".....other good amps to look out for would be Jadis, Icon Audio and Pure Sound.

The tried and tested amps for AN, are their own ones......an all AN system is probably the best that I've heard for imparting the intention of the musicians.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Which brings me on to the very stylish Sonus Faber Liuto monitors, look good, sound fantastic and are currently available under £1700 plus stands. If I could get them to work in the room I think they would be my choice. I prefer them to the bigger Venere models but this is a personal point, others think otherwise.

I haven't heard the Liutos. They look like a junior version of the Cremonas, and if they're anywhere near as good, then £2300 (all in, including stands) is a nice price. Of course, the Cremonas themselves are a strikingly good deal if you can get an ex-demo pair in good condition. I think they behave pretty well close to a rear wall.

TheMcGurkEffect

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

I haven't heard the Liutos. They look like a junior version of the Cremonas, and if they're anywhere near as good, then £2300 (all in, including stands) is a nice price. Of course, the Cremonas themselves are a strikingly good deal if you can get an ex-demo pair in good condition. I think they behave pretty well close to a rear wall.

I will look out for the Cremonas. Unfortunately, a few reviews I have seen suggest that the Liutos ar not ideal near a wall or in a corner. They look lovely though!

TheMcGurkEffect

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I have only heard Audio Note speakers on the end of their own Valve amps, and I couldn't believe the scale they delivered.......they are designed to use the room to reinforce the bass. They are based on an old Snell designs, and come in a variety of sizes.

As DDC has said, the downside (of the more expensive ones) is their looks, which is a little like they were knocked up in a garden shed.....though they have some lovely finishes.

I suspect they will work well with most Valve amps, and will make the most of piddley-powered SET amps. If you have any difficulty, I should have the contact details of Martin Grennell, who is their main salesman, and is a top bloke.

Unison Research have a lovely little amp called "Simply Italy".....other good amps to look out for would be Jadis, Icon Audio and Pure Sound.

The tried and tested amps for AN, are their own ones......an all AN system is probably the best that I've heard for imparting the intention of the musicians.

Hi Cno.

Thanks again for the suggestions... I see what you mean about their looks! Something 'classic' about them though.

I had wandered what they'd be like paired with their own amps, sounds like a good starting point. I have actually emailed Martin Grennell to ask what he would suggest as a setup from their own line within my budget. He has already replied to ask more about the space, the location and my music tastes, etc, so I'm very keen to see what he suggests. I will let you know.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
TheMcGurkEffect said:
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

I will look out for the Cremonas. Unfortunately, a few reviews I have seen suggest that the Liutos ar not ideal near a wall or in a corner. They look lovely though!

The Liuto monitors are slightly more 'old school' Fabers, I love them (but then I would). I do not think they are particularly difficult in terms of positioning, but then most speakers of this quality need to be positioned correctly to give there best.

Generally speaking, I find any hint of bass boom unlistenable, so I am naturally pretty wary of this issue. For what it is worth, in general terms, with good amplifiers, I have not had this problem with Fabers though my experience has been mostly with stand mounts.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TheMcGurkEffect said:
Hi Cno.

Thanks again for the suggestions... I see what you mean about their looks! Something 'classic' about them though.

I had wandered what they'd be like paired with their own amps, sounds like a good starting point. I have actually emailed Martin Grennell to ask what he would suggest as a setup from their own line within my budget. He has already replied to ask more about the space, the location and my music tastes, etc, so I'm very keen to see what he suggests. I will let you know.

Here is one of the best systems I've heard, which was at that show (Room 057): http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/19/11/2010/northern-ireland-audio-show-part-three/

TheMcGurkEffect

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Here is one of the best systems I've heard, which was at that show (Room 057): http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/19/11/2010/northern-ireland-audio-show-part-three/

I couldn't help but nitice that they were demoing £60,000 worth of hardware through less than £4,000 worth of speakers... that must say something for the speakers!

TRENDING THREADS