A bit of advice plese

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
A friend runs dance classes and wants a system to run as follows -

6 speakers all in mono, a cd player and the ability to mix 2 mics into cd signal

I dont think shes too bothered about the quality so long as you can dance to it. The speakers must be able to fix to a wall, go loud and have deep bass for the dance music.

Shes given no indication of price as she has no clue, just the specs she requires.

I was thinking along the lines of a cheap cd player, multi channel power amp with at least 100 Watts per channel

Something like this Samson for the mixer and pre amp? (Looks to me like it would mix all signals AND act as a pre amp to the power amp?)

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=mic+mixer&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1B3GGLL_en-GBGB380DE380&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1680&bih=898&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5242761619019026757&sa=X&ei=BppsTun0EMjSsgbt5bnNBA&ved=0CJQBEPMCMAU4FA

Speakers im not sure but keeping the price down I was thinking MA Bronze or similar? Though im not sure how much bass they pump out

Heck, any help on what mics to get would be nice too, not my thing really. (Plus she wants one to be a wireless headset)

So if anyones any clue as to what I should be looking for im all ears

Cheers in advance :)

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I think you're maybe going about this the wrong way :) I think you'd be better looking at PA gear. Cheaper and more suitable, IMO. I'm not sure that the MA speakers would really give the results she's looking for. A lot of gyms and personal trainers use portable PA gear. The speakers can also be put on stands rather than on the wall, which is a bit more flexible. I'd probably try to get her onto using an iPod as her source, would be much less hassle than CDs.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
- Bose makes some interesting PA speakers on dedicated stands. They are not too expensive and rather good for the money.

- Mixing gear could be a dedicated mixer for 2 iPods (docking!) with extra channels for mics.

- Professional mikes could be Shure SM 58 (wired) or Sennheiser (antenna) handhelds, and Sennheiser wireless headset. As she needs a wireless headset the handheld could be a wireless too. Disadvantage is: (rechargeble) batteries needed! Advantage: output of receiver is linelevel, so no miclevel needed on the mixer.

- Amp could be a 6 channel hometheatre-amp with a monoswitch for all the channels. I don't know if they exist. Also possible of using speakers with buid-in amps (heavy) which you only have to connect the signal + mains to, in daisychain (sequence)

Good luck!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Cheers for the comments :)

Cant go with any actual stands as they dance right upto the wall, MUST be bracketed to the wall somehow. Cant really daisychain them. Ive been thinking about maybe 3 powerful stereo amps connected to some sort of 'mono phono' mixer if I can find something that does that

I did mention technology but she point blank refused due to their being several dance teachers and the confusion over running it all

Can anyone please explain the i-pod bit in a bit more in detail please?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't use any domestic hi-fi at all, I'd stick with PA gear. There's already products out there which will do what you want, rather than trying to make hi-fi gear work. You can buy a range of PA mixers/mixer amps; passive or active speakers; 6 channel power amps; microphones etc., etc.

Regarding the iPod, it's just for ease of use and flexibility. No need for a big stack of CDs, and I imagine it'd be easier for someone like your friend to have a playlist on the ipod rather then faffing about changing discs during a class. As mentioned, you can buy a mixer with a built-in iPod dock.

Just have a Google for a reputable PA supplier and email them with what you need. It'll be a doddle to put together a small system like this.

If you really want to go down the hi-fi route, some hi-fi shops do commercial installations. Richer Sounds install systems in shops and restaurants and the like, might be worth emailing them? http://www.richersounds.com/information/b2b

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Just an update.

Went with PA gear. Bought the Samson mixer (Awesome piece of kit for the price). W Audio Horizon 600 power amp (has tons of power) and Alto Truesonic TS112 speakers which go very loud. She bought the mic herself and everythings connected with Van Damme cable.
ooo - Ive let her borrow (With the option to buy) my pioneer DVD player as a cd player as I was struggling to find a decent cd player under a hundred quid

Everythings worked so well. Oodles of power, THUMPING bass and everything mixes perfectly. I could tell she was impressed (Although she tries not to show it - thats how she rolls :p )

Job done

Thanks for all the advice everyone :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts